Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Damon's Readathon

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Damon (new)

Damon Zuidema | 7 comments Hello readathoners! It's my first year doing this, and I will be posting here. Can't wait to get started in a couple minutes!

message 2: by Damon (new)

Damon Zuidema | 7 comments Hour 0 - Opening Activity:
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Lansing, MI

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Jane, Unlimited, by Kristen Cashore

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Unreal dark chocolate pb cups. Om nom nom...

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I just made a career switch into the field of library science! I work at a public library and am pursuing my MLIS.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I'm looking forward to setting aside a big chunk of time for reading. Life too often gets in the way of my reading time.

message 3: by Damon (new)

Damon Zuidema | 7 comments Hour 2 Challenge: Traveler's Log:

I just finished camping at an awesome camp for Hardcore Lady Types, and now I'm back in college hanging out with my peeps.

message 4: by Damon (new)

Damon Zuidema | 7 comments Hour 3 Challenge: Book and Beverage:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bag7DD0DYl2/

Hour 4 Challenge: Readathon Memories:
This is my first readathon! So, I'll just talk about one of my favorite book series: Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson. Sanderson is AMAZING at world-building and creates such memorable characters and an incredibly intricate magic system. In Misborn, a ragtag group of heroes works together to overthrow the tyrannical overlord demigod of the past 100 years. The 2nd book of the trilogy had me SCREAMING, and the third one had me sobbing.

message 5: by Damon (new)

Damon Zuidema | 7 comments Hour 12 Mid-Event Survey:
1. What are you reading right now?
Jane, Unlimited by Kristen Cashore. I've been off and on it all day and plan on finishing it off this evening.

2. How many books have you read so far?
I've finished two, and I'm in the middle of two. I plan on finishing Jane, but Station Eleven (the audiobook I'm listening to) will not get finished during the readathon. I have other short stories and graphic novels I'll be doing, though!

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
"Out From Boneville," book 1 of the Bone graphic novel series.

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
Yes! Boyfriend spilled water everywhere and I needed to help clean it up, I had to feed my pets, and I needed a nap around hour 6. But, I'm okay with that. I'm logging my minutes and hoping to get at least 12 hours of actual reading in during the time period, maybe more!

5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
Time is going SO FAST. I just want it to slow down. I want more than 24 hours!

message 6: by Damon (new)

Damon Zuidema | 7 comments Hour 14: Decades of Reading:

1990s: Holes by Louis Sachar
2000s: It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
2010s: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

message 7: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 401 comments Is it hour 14 already?! Yikes! Yes, I'm with you on wanting more than 24 hours! lol

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments Happy Reading! ~Ashley

message 9: by Damon (new)

Damon Zuidema | 7 comments Hour 21: 10 Word Story
Ten years: oh my! That's the same length Friends aired.

I'm heading to bed at this point, so here's my stats:
Books completed: 5
Pages read: 1105
Audiobook time logged: 3 hours, 50 minutes
Time spent actively reading (including audio): 14 hours, 30 minutes.