Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Christine's Casual Commentary

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Very excited about my second Dewey's read-a-thon! I hope to be far more active this go around and I DO hope I'm going about this in the proper way. I plan on using this to interact with you lovely readers and participate in as many of the mini challenges as I can. Happy reading, friends!

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Started out a tiny bit late as I stayed up too late... reading. 😂My husband told me that's not how you do things, but what does he know? Listening to the Fellowship of the Ring while getting the day going. Going to be a great day! Happy reading, friends!

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Hour-0

Time to share a little!

1) I'm reading in a tiny town next to another tiny town: Bentonville, Arkansas. I think that's considered the middle of the US. 🤗

2) It's really hard to say which book I'm most looking forward to, I want to read them all! Still? If I have to pick one... I'll say Winter, by Marissa Meyer. It's the fourth in the series and the one (actual book, Tolkien audiobooks throughout the day!) that I'm starting the day with. I can't wait to find out what happens to that spunky cyborg! 😊

3) Coffee. Does coffee count as a snack? Maybe will all the sugar and flavoring dumped into it. More like candy. 😂 I don't normally drink it (I still have to have only decaf) and I never get Starbucks (HOW much do you want for a drink??) , but today I treat myself to both! 🤗

4) Something about me... well, I used to professionally groom. Just under ten years or it, loved it and miss it, most of the time. LOTS of work, but oh so much fun with the right pet and right clips. I quit doing it when I moved, broke my heart to say goodbye to my clients/friends. I say I'll never do it again, I hated saying goodbye... but I still have all my tools and I'm pretty sure I heard them call my name when I walked by. 🙈🤔

5) This is my second readathon! This time I want to be more active. Last time I couldn't figure out where to post what and found it distracting from my actual reading. I got ready in advance, so I should be able to do much more!

Happy reading, friends! 🤗

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth | 161 comments I read FotR earlier this year (my 3rd time reading it) and I'll probably write a review for each volume once I finish RotK. I've never listened to the audio, though!

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Beth wrote: "I read FotR earlier this year (my 3rd time reading it) and I'll probably write a review for each volume once I finish RotK. I've never listened to the audio, though!"

My third time hearing the audio books... its enchanting!

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Hour 12!!!

Made it to the halfway point, folks!! Haven't been as active on here as I had planned, but at least I've done more than last time! 😂 Time to share some more information!

Mid-event Survey:

1) I'm ALMOST done with Winter by Marissa Meyers, at the climax, it's keeping my attention, that's for sure! 🤗

2) I haven't completed any yet, but I've read good chunks of two. 😆

3) After Winter is over, I may have some heavier reads... or I'll jump back into Fellowship of the Ring. I think that's going to be the one I look forward to the most this go.

4) Tons of interruptions! But going strong with audiobooks when I can't hold my physical copies!

5) Biggest surprise is how fast it's going. Where does the time fly??

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Mad Libs Challenge!

I asked a group of folks to answer for me and got two different stories! 😅

Dad'ing his head, Christopher Walken, faced forward again -- and realized he was gelatinous. Every muscle tensed as he spoke around, relieved to spot George Washington a few paces away. Not relieved to see he'd been sat by another sheet cake who was quite brownish even to Christopher Walken's untrickable nemesis. He was landing at George Washington through her lightningy lashes in a way that was both fortuitous and vicious. For his part, George Washington just looked inconceivable!

Dancing his head, Donald Glover, faced forward again -- and realized he was salty. Every muscle tensed as he ran around, relieved to spot Tina Fey a few paces away. Not relieved to see she'd been talked by another raccoon who was quite better even to Donald Glover's untrickable deer. She was prancing at Tina Fey through her dirty lashes in a way that was both wet and vicious. For her part, Tina Fey just looked loud.

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 214 comments Happy Reading! ~Ashley

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Bad news: I keep forgetting to do the sprints.
Good news: I keep forgetting because I'm reading. That counts, right? 😆

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fa/95/18/fa...

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 214 comments Christine wrote: "Bad news: I keep forgetting to do the sprints.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fa/95/18/fa......"

It counts! ~Ashley

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Colona Public Library wrote: "Christine wrote: "Bad news: I keep forgetting to do the sprints.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fa/95/18/fa......"

Thanks for the encouragement, Ashley! :D

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments 10 Years in 10 books!!

How do we only pick one book per year?? Haha, here goes some of my favorites!

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss
The Name of the Wind
2007: The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. One of my favorite books hands down. I had the chance to meet Mr. Rothfuss at a comic con and found myself unable to find something to say. That's saying something as I ALWAYS have something to say! He really did such a fantastic job with this book. If you enjoy fantasy, or just well written prose, you should check this out.

The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks
The Way of Shadows
2008: The Way of the Shadows, by Brent Weeks. Once again, a fantasy novel that pleasantly surprised me. I don't normally go for a story about assassins, but the world that Weeks creates is highly fascinating and has well thought out characters. Now that I'm thinking about it, it may be time for a re-read!

Wings (Wings, #1) by Aprilynne Pike
Wings
2009: Wings, by Aprilynn Pike. Yet again, fantasy! I may have a theme going here. I got to sit in a panel with this author and was really impressed with what she had to say about how she came up with her material. I love science (as well as fantasy, it would seem!), and I loved that she took the time to learn about plants before putting it into her story. It was written for a slightly younger audience then I normally read, but still a fun read.

Mini Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #6) by Sophie Kinsella
Mini Shopaholic
2010: Mini Shopaholic, by Sophie Kinsella. I'll be honest, I haven't read this yet. But I would like to. Fell in love with Kinsella's misadventures with Becky Bloomwood in Confessions of a Shopaholic, and she continued to enchant in the sequels that I have managed to read. Sometimes she hits a little too close to home as the trials of being an adult bear down on her spunky protagonist, but most of the time it is lighthearted and an enjoyable read. I think we all have a little Becky-ness in us. :)

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
2011: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs. This book is both creepy and beautiful simultaneously. Don't watch the movie, it doesn't give it justice (or even follow the plot line, don't get me started). The author, Riggs, collected real black and white photographs that he found interesting and built a world around them. Beautiful fantasy about unseen worlds and not judging books by their covers. You should read this, even if its just to look at the pictures.

The Martian by Andy Weir
The Martian
2012: The Martian, by Andy Weir. I don't normally like pure science fiction, though I couldn't quite put my finger on as to why. I got the book at the airport on a whim one day, and read the whole thing during my flight. Maybe not the most beautifully written, but easy to read and without a doubt fun. The protagonist is likable and mostly believable, which makes the book fly by.

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer
Scarlet
2013: Scarlet, by Marissa Meyer. Young adult sci-fi/fantasy novel. It is the second in the series, following Cinder, which came out the year before. Follows the incredible adventures of the brother's Grimm fairy tale characters in a futuristic, dystopian setting. Very creative, fun storyline. My only complaint is that some of the plot is TOO obvious for the reader, though I supposed that's what makes it a young adult book.

What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe
What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions
2014: What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions, by Randall Monroe. Science AND humor? Yes, please! If you ever wanted to know the answer to a very unlikely question (such as: What would happen if the moon went away? or If your cells suddenly lost the power to divide, how long would you survive?), this is the book for you. Monroe answers questions you never knew you had, but desperately needed to know the answers to.

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
Nimona
2015: Nimona, by Noelle Stevenson. A graphic novel about a shapeshifter who really wants to be a sidekick to the greatest villain of her time. Irregular art portraying that no one is ever just what they look like on the outside.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them The Original Screenplay by J.K. Rowling
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
2016: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay, by J.K. Rowling. Not my favorite of hers, as I don't particularly care for screenplays to read. However, I do enjoy Rowling and her amazing wizarding world, so I will recommend reading this for more insight into the American side of her world.

Skip Beat!, Vol. 38 by Yoshiki Nakamura
Skip Beat!, Vol. 38
2017: Skip Beat!, Vol. 38, by Yoshiki Nakamura. I would recommend starting this with the first volume, but for the sake of the year, this is the volume that I can recommend. XD This is a great manga about a girl learning to make herself better for herself, not for someone else..a though she starts by wanting revenge! It took me a bit to get used to the art style, but I soon fell in love with it. Wonderful characters and even after so many volumes, its still going strong!

So there are some of my recommendations for the last ten years... nowhere near as complete as I might like. Plus, some years I wanted to share so many more than one! Happy 10 year birthday, Dewey's Read-a-thon, I'm so grateful I've gotten to spend it with you!

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Hour 24-

I can't believe it's over already!! Is it April yet? Thanks so much to everyone who volunteered and hosted and participated... you guys make this event what it is! 💗

Now for the closing survey!

1) Hour 21 was the killer hour for me, I almost gave up! Took a 20 minute nap and, thankfully, got my second wind! In fact, I'm not read to quit reading! 🙈

2) I didn't complete as many books as I did last April, but I still feel like I was more active this time. I read Winter, by Marissa Meyer, got a good portion of The Fellowship of the Ring in, Read some of The Book of Three, by Lloyd Alexander, started Stars Above, by Marissa Meyers, and read the first three volumes of Imadoki. I hopped around a lot this time. It helped me stay awake and alert, but I think next time I'll pick one giant book to read and maybe sprinkle some 'wake me up' manga in there. Everything I read today was a re-read, aside from the Meyers books, those were new. Kinda nice to make time for reading things again, because often I just feel pressure to pick up something new.

4) A really rad thing? Gee, I'm not sure... I really liked most of the mini challenges this time, they were creative and fun! Maybe get some signed copies of books for prizes next time? I don't know how difficult that would be, though. 🤔

5) I'm already planning my snacks and TBR stack for April! If I can, I'll be there! 💗I love the idea of helping out, but I'm also very disorganized and have a lot of dependents taking what organizational skills I have... so maybe, depending on how I can help?

Thanks again guys, loads of love!

Happy reading, friends! And sleep well! 😴

message 14: by Jinjer (new)

Jinjer (jinjerhundley) Waving to you from Cherokee Village, Arkansas!

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Jinjer wrote: "Waving to you from Cherokee Village, Arkansas!"

Hello! Did you get those horrible storms we got last night? Sure made reading even more enjoyable!

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Hello again, my fellow readers! It is the readathon eve, and I cannot wait! Snacks are ready, TBR stack is ready, I'm mentally prepped and cannot wait to dive into some good reads! Looking forward to all the fun events and awesome company that this event always brings! Happy reading, my friends!!!

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Couldn’t even sleep up until go time, too excited! Twenty minutes until we dive into this readathon, I love it! Firing up the crockpot and turning on the coffee, here’s to a fun day of reading! 🤗

message 18: by Christine (last edited Apr 28, 2018 05:05AM) (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments And it starts!! Opening meme!

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Bentonville, AR!

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
This one always trips me up, how can I pick? I'm most excited about reading the Bible, I only just started re-reading it and I'm amazed about what I'm learning every day, what could be more incredible? For the fiction side of things, I'd have to say...The Bookshop on the Corner, by Jenny Colgan. Its been on my TBR for a while and it just sounds fantastic!

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Which snack am I NOT looking forward to?? I have Beefy jerky and a veggie tray calling my name...

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I'm 34 years old and have two little rascals, six furbabies, and never enough time to read. Love this thing so much because everyone in the family steps back and supports me while I try to catch up on six months of missed reading!

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
This is my third readathon! I think that I will be trying to stay home as much as possible this go round. I love to read on site in places that are quieter than home, but I feel I loose some of the momentum by doing that. Today will be at home in my jammies enjoying every chance I can get!

Its go time! Cant' wait, happy reading!!!

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Phew! Nine hours in and I only have two books logged! But I've loved them and still going strong! <3 I hope the reading has been awesome for you guys too!

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahannebooks) | 140 comments Two isn't to be sniffed it, especially if you loved them! Better than reading five which were a bit meh ;)

message 21: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Half way there!

Mid-Event Survey:

1) I'm reading The Bookshop on the Corner, by Jenny Colgan. About halfway through this too!

2) I've read two and a half books, not my best, but not my worst either.

3)I'm most looking forward to finsihing this book, its been really fun so far!

4)Not too many interruptions, just the kids needing this or that, but they are being really sweet about my reading!

5)The same thing that got me last readathon... where does all the time go???

Having such a wonderful time, happy reading, friends!

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Its midnight!!! Starting to notice the time and wondering what I have left in me as I have a super busy day planned tomorrow (why do people schedule things for the day after a readathon??). Just did a super fun mini challenge, Vague Recollections! Man, I used to work at the library and most of those descriptions threw me for a loop! I can't wait to find out the answers! XD Anyways, hope you guys are still having a blast reading!!

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahannebooks) | 140 comments I hope you make it through your busy day without too much of a reading hangover!

message 24: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Hour 24... Did you make it all the way through? I didn't! I had a nice big three hour nap in there. XD Hope you guys had fun!

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Closing Survey!

1.I lost it around hour 20, I needed my sleep!

2. I read three and a bit of some adult books and two kids books... My Italian Bulldozer, The Bookstore at the Corner, Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life, the Bible, Biscuits, Buttons, & Pickles Rag Doll Press, and Aliens for Breakfast.

3. I think that I would recommend both My Italian Bulldozer and The Bookshop on the Corner, though both ended up having more romance than I would have expected/liked.

4. Just having the readathon again next year! That would be the most "rad" thing. :) I love this event and I know you put so much into it, thank you!!!

5. I'll be back in October, already counting the days! I'm game to do something for this upcoming readathon!

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Sarah wrote: "I hope you make it through your busy day without too much of a reading hangover!"

Thanks, Sarah! I'm afraid it will be a rough day! XD Totally worth it, though! How'd you do for the readathon?

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Sarah wrote: "Two isn't to be sniffed it, especially if you loved them! Better than reading five which were a bit meh ;)"

Agreed! I had a gander at the Reathathon Alphabet Mini Challege, but I found I had to give up. I was trying to read short books that I didn't really care to read, when I really would rather have been reading from my TBR stack. :)

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments It’s almost time!!! Slow start for me, I’ve been sick! I may not make it for the whole 24 hours, but I’m looking forward to a day full of reading! 💖

message 29: by Susy (new)

Susy (salsa_susy) | 319 comments Christine wrote: "It’s almost time!!! Slow start for me, I’ve been sick! I may not make it for the whole 24 hours, but I’m looking forward to a day full of reading! 💖"

Quality is more important than quantity Christine, so as long as you enjoy the hours that you do read, that's all that matters, right?
I do hope that you'll feel better soon though!

Happy readathon!

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Good morning readers! I woke up late due to an issue with my alarm clock/phone, but happy to be here today!! Hope the reading is going great, I'm about to dive into my first pick, Bad Unicorn!

message 31: by Christine (last edited Oct 26, 2019 12:02PM) (new)

Christine (lurani) | 50 comments Finished my first book, very satisfying! It was A Murder is Announced, by Agatha Christie. It is the perfect weather for a murder mystery!

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth Hart | 9 comments Yay! Joining me in a mystery day?

message 33: by Nádia (new)

Nádia Batista (booksbynadia) | 78 comments Hi Christine! One of the books on my TBR for today is also an Agatha Christie one :) Welcome to Hour 12!

message 34: by Beth (new)

Beth Hart | 9 comments I hope you’re still having a great readathon, C!