Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Shaelynn's First Readathon

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments I came across a post on Book Riot about Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon a couple days ago and it sounds like a fun concept and community. Looking forward to reading and checking in on the challenges.

My TBR pile (https://www.instagram.com/p/BaaYLJJjdPe/) should be narrowed down, but instead I'll just see where my reading takes me. My initial goal is to complete my upcoming IRL book club titles: Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City and The Door then to work on a few that will count toward the Book Riot Read Harder and PopSugar reading challenges for this year.

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Personal challenge: Donating to my local library $0.05 per page read today! I'll keep a running tally as I progress. My goal is 1000 pages.

message 3: by Shaelynn (last edited Oct 21, 2017 05:14PM) (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Opening Meme:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Northern Virginia
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? soup
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! Love books, cats, and caffeine!
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? making progress on my reading challenge

message 4: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments 10 years 10 Books Challenge

This is my first year doing the readathon, but happy to celebrate the anniversary and wish I'd known about this years ago.

Here are my book recommendations 2007-2017, based on my read shelf on Goodreads:

2007: The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
2008: Heat Wave by Richard Castle
2009: One Day by David Nicholls
2010: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
2011: Life Itself by Roger Ebert
2012: Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
2013: Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh
2014: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
2015: My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem
2016: Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
2017: What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

Interesting observation: there are more non-fiction titles here than I would have anticipated.

message 5: by Shaelynn (last edited Oct 21, 2017 07:03AM) (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments First book complete!

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

157 pages = $7.85 donation to my local library

message 6: by Shaelynn (last edited Oct 21, 2017 08:41AM) (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Read the 2nd part of Evicted Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond. A great interesting read, but not a binge-read for me. Will come back to complete part 3 later.

49 pages = $2.45 donation to my local library

message 7: by Liv (new)

Liv | 43 comments Heat wave is in my list too, not sure I’ll get to it though. But I’m keeping at it. Good luck.

message 8: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Liv wrote: "Heat wave is in my list too, not sure I’ll get to it though. But I’m keeping at it. Good luck."

I loved Castle and the Nikki Heat series was an enjoyable extension of the show. Whenever you get to it, I hope you enjoy it. Good luck today - just have fun!

message 9: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Mini-challenge catch up!

Book and Beverage
Tigger, tea and Evicted: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bag-byXDEKA/

#ReadMoreWomen
Featuring books from my splinter book club. Those gals rock!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BahOOcijVSC/

message 10: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Read 50% of The Door by Magda Szabó. Definitely an eccentric character!

133 pages = $6.65 library donation

message 11: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Took a break with some graphic novels - Buffy: The High School Years

Buffy: The High School Years - Freaks & Geeks
Buffy: The High School Years - Glutton for Punishment
Buffy: The High School Years - Parental Parasite

240 pages = $12.00 library donation

message 12: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments A nostalgia read (listen) with Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. Listened to about a third while stretching my legs with a walk outside. Beautiful weather!

60 pages = $3.00 library donation

message 13: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Made more progress with Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City.

64 pages = $3.20 library donation

message 14: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments #readathon stats so far:
12 hours
703 pages
4 books completed
3 books in progress
$35.15 donation to my local library

message 15: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Mid-Event Survey:
1. What are you reading right now? A nostalgia read (listen)
Charlotte's Web

2. How many books have you read so far? 4 completed / 3 in progress
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? The challenge to stay awake!
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Minimal interruptions overall. Have consciously rotated my surroundings, books, and format.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? How much time can get sucked into the mini-challenges and following hashtags!

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments Happy 1st readathon! Connecting with readers online is so much fun while taking a day to tackle a tbr pile! Happy Reading! ~Ashley

message 17: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Finished Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City. We are better than this. ★★★★★

66 pages = $3.30 library donation

message 18: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Finished my nostalgia read (listen) of Charlotte's Web. It holds up.

120 pages = $3 library donation

message 19: by Shaelynn (last edited Oct 21, 2017 08:07PM) (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Books and Pets mini-challenge -- um, yeah!

All three cats have been my #readingbuddy throughout the day.

Tigger: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bag-byXDEKA
Lorelai: https://www.instagram.com/p/BahZi_YjyRm
Latte: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bah0-sTD0Pt

message 20: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Short catch up:

Around hour 16 I read a few essays from Browsings (36 pages = $1.80 library donation) and decided a power nap was in order. 5 hours later, I awoke, having totally ignored the timer. After a quick shower, some community catch up, and a fresh pot of coffee (french presses are the best!), time to close this readathon out with a goal of finishing The Door for book club this week.

message 21: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Colona Public Library wrote: "Happy 1st readathon! Connecting with readers online is so much fun while taking a day to tackle a tbr pile! Happy Reading! ~Ashley"

Thanks Ashley! I'm glad I stumbled upon the readathon! It has been great. What are you reading? Still hanging in there?

message 22: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments About 80% complete with The Door.

80 pages = $4 library donation

message 23: by Shaelynn (last edited Oct 22, 2017 05:03AM) (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments Closing Survey:

1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Hour 16/17 - planned on a 20-30 minute power nap but woke up 5 hours later!
2. Tell us ALLLLL the books you read!
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Buffy: The High School Years - Freaks & Geeks
Buffy: The High School Years - Glutton for Punishment
Buffy: The High School Years - Parental Parasite
Charlotte's Web
Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City
The Door - 82%
Browsings: A Year of Reading, Collecting and Living with Books - 15%

3. Which books would you recommend to other Read-a-thoners?
Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City was an important and excellent read. ★★★★★
4. What’s a really rad thing we could do during the next Read-a-thon that would make you smile? Maybe themed threads/reading hours?
5. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? Would you be interested in volunteering to help organize and prep? Definitely doing this again!

message 24: by Shaelynn (new)

Shaelynn (seh79) | 36 comments My #readathon stats:
15.25 hrs reading/listening
4.75 hrs napping
3 hrs social media

Pages: 1,005
Books: 6 completed/2 in progress
Library donation: $50.25