What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > The book is about a children's book, and it may have been part of a series. It revolves around a boy who moves into a house with a ghost (the ghost was a slave). The song "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" pops up several times in the book.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 3 comments I remember reading this book in elementary school, and I enjoyed it. I am wanting to get it for the students I currently teach. I believe the ghost was from colonial american, and it may have been set in Delaware or a state bordering the Mason-Dixon line.

message 2: by Ayshe (last edited Oct 21, 2017 05:13AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4226 comments The Whistling Whirligig by Ben Shecter maybe? If not, when were in elementary school?

message 3: by Jonathan (last edited Oct 21, 2017 09:35PM) (new)

Jonathan | 3 comments Ayshe wrote: "The Whistling Whirligig by Ben Shecter maybe? If not, when were in elementary school?"

I looked it up, and that doesn't seem like it. I was in elementary in the early 2000s. The book was older than that though probably 80s or 90s.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments is it The House of Dies Drear by Virginia Hamilton?

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 3 comments Kelly wrote: "is it The House of Dies Drear by Virginia Hamilton?"

No it's not that one. I've been planning on reading it one day though!

More details keep popping in my head. I remember that the book itself ends specifically with the boy singing (or hearing?) the chorus of the song "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments Hmm. This one: The Riddle of Penncroft Farm, by Dorothea Jensen? It has a revolution-era ghost, but I don't know about singing.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35106 comments Mod
The Riddle of Penncroft Farm by Dorothea Jensen - Kelly's suggestion

message 8: by Sheila (last edited Oct 31, 2017 04:38PM) (new)

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments I'm not sure how old you are or when you were in school, but maybe Something Upstairs? Edit: There's a better description of the book on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somethi...

message 9: by FlowerFairy (new)

FlowerFairy | 62 comments Could it be Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush by Virginia Hamilton?

message 10: by FlowerFairy (new)

FlowerFairy | 62 comments Check out Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush by Virginia Hamilton

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...

message 11: by Ergative (new)

Ergative Absolutive | 40 comments Sounds a little like The Ghost Wore Gray, by Bruce Coville. It's part of a trilogy about friends who find historical ghosts; the ghost in question is a man who moves into the house where an escaped slave looks after him, and that song does make an appearance, as I recall.