World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > New Zealand to hold cannabis referendum within three years

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Will they follow California?

New Zealand to hold cannabis referendum within three years
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-...

message 2: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 193 comments That is going to pass so so easily. where I grew up there was so much cannabis being grown surreptitiously it was self seeding, it was pretty much the biggest local cash crop. Maybe after radiata pine, which plantation forests provided concenient cover. You could pick it wild in the ditches along any number of back roads. And that was already 35 years ago.

My stepfather managed one of the largest pine forests in northland back then. Every so often feral pigs in the forest would get into one of the grows and wind up down in the sawmill, charging everything in sight, including buildings and bulldozers - they get curiously aggressive when they are high! The loose cattle grazing the forest would often plow through a grow too, but they just got stupud and fell over a lot.

I am actually surprised it took this long.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13443 comments Hope the referendum won't divide the New Zealand nation and stoners won't try to leave the others or vice versa -:) After all they have two major islands to host both camps comfortably...

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9481 comments My view is that whether it passes will depend critically on how the question is phased, and I don't necessarily agree with Krazykiwi's "easily". Stoned pigs are one thing, but stoned drivers another, and the road toll here is going up again. It may well pass; we shall have to wait and see.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) True, drunk drivers are already a major hazard. THC's allegedly lower dependency rate relative to alcohol combined with increased government revenue might make legalization worthwhile.

message 6: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7224 comments When I first read the title, I read,

"New Zealand to hold cannibal referendum within three years."

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9481 comments Graeme, you have been reading and writing too many vampire books!

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9481 comments Alex, Cannabinols also impair driving, and worse, the effects can stay for some length go time.

message 9: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 7224 comments Ian wrote: "Graeme, you have been reading and writing too many vampire books!"

Most likely...