Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Bouchercon 2017 in Toronto

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8063 comments Bouchercon 2017

Last week I attended Bouchercon, the Mystery/Thriller conference for readers attended by readers, authors, reviewers, bloggers, and others in the book business. I was in readers’ heaven, and while I took notes only sporadically I will try to post a little each day about the panels I attended, as I know some of the authors will be familiar to you, especially those of you who have attended Bouchercon in the past.

I had a blast hanging out in Toronto with our friend Jan from Portland, who I hope will pop in and add her thoughts. Next year B-con is in St. Petersburg, Fl from Sept. 6 - 9. I had vowed to only go to the conference when in cities I was interested in visiting, and I have zero interest in St. Petersburg, but I had such fun last year in New Orleans and this year in Toronto that at the moment I’m planning to go. I hope I can persuade some of you to join me!

The Guest Host was Louise Penny, who is Canadian, and was very present throughout the conference. Unfortunately I had to leave Sunday before her one-hour interview by Ann Cleves (why they scheduled this for the last day of the conference I’ll never know) but I saw her on a couple of different panels, and had seen her interviewed a few times in association with her new release Glass Houses, so I wasn’t super bummed.

Anyway, stay tuned to this topic.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Carol - I bet it was a lot of fun and look forward to your updates!

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3695 comments can't wait to hear all about it- i was going to email you later to see how much fun you had. sorry you didn't get to hear louise penny's talk, i know how much you like her!

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1215 comments Sherry wrote: "can't wait to hear all about it"

Me too. I was really sorry that my work schedule prevented me from attending. The timing for next year should be better though.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Oct 22, 2017 06:22AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8063 comments Thursday, October 12

I missed the Speed Dating session, which sounded like fun. Readers sat 9 to a table and left a chair for an author. Then authors rotated through the tables and gave a 2-minute pitch about their book/series.

Instead I went to the Bouchercon 101 session where I heard from a panel of authors about what was different about this B-con and how to attend. They said don’t sweat it if you miss a panel, just play it by ear and enjoy. And I did!

10:00 - Readers Recommend. Some dedicated mystery readers talk about their faves.

I took no notes except a list of books on this first author panel of the conference, but I’ll fill in who folks are from the conference manual and list the books after..

Sarah Byrne. Australian lawyer, reader and writer. Moderates panels at home and abroad and makes B-con her annual vacation.

Aubrey Hamilton. Former librarian and reviewer.

Robert Lopresti (Moderator). Librarian and author. Big fan of short stories. He handed out a two pager on “short story collections by great living mystery writers” that I’d be happy to scan and email to anyone. Just private message me your email address.

Janet Rudolph. Editor of the Mystery Readers Journal. Blogs daily at MysteryFanfare.com and DyingforCholocate.com. Founder of Left Coast Crime.

Charles Salzberg. Author of Swann seies (Swann’s Last Song)

Carolyn Tillery. Journalist and author of Captain Maggie Hayes series (Dallas Fire Department arson investigator, and Galveston island mysteries)

BOOKS
- Scandal at Bizarre. True crime book of scandal in Jefferson era Virginia
-The Perfect Nanny -- dark and great
-always check the “forthcoming books” list on Stop You’re Killing Me
-Sarah Woods mysteries
-Elizabeth Gunn -- writes police procedural series in Minnesota
-Mary Miley’s Roaring Twenties series
-David Swinson, Frank Marr, ex-cop
-Joe Clifford (author)
-Alex Marwood --The Wicked Girls; A Novel
-Fiona Barton- psychological thriller The Widow
-Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz
-The Continental Op -- Dashiell Hammitt
-Under Tower Peak by Bart Paul. a western thriller. Sparse, clean, nonstop action
-Adrian McKinty, irish crime fiction novelist

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Good looking list of books Carol! I’ve read two of them, the Barton and the Marwood and recommend both.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8063 comments Ann wrote: "Good looking list of books Carol! I’ve read two of them, the Barton and the Marwood and recommend both."

Good to hear, Ann. Maybe I'll start with those.

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8063 comments Thursday, 11:30 - International Guest of Honor, Christopher Brookmyre interviewed by Mark Billingham.

Mark Billingham is a B-con favorite, author of a popular thriller series and moderator of some the funniest panels I’ve attended. Christopher Brookmyre is a BFF of his who writes dark Scottish crime novels, and he describes him as one of the funniest people he knows. They both had us in stitches.
Series: Jack Parlabane. Jasmine Sharp and Detective Catherine McLeod

Thursday, 1:00 - Duos: Two lead characters are better than one.

D.D. Ayres (pseudonym of Laura A. Castoro). K-9 Rescue, romantic suspect novels.

Marti Green. Writes legal thrillers.

Heather Gudenkauf. Deaf protagonist with service dog.

James Hayman. I met him in the audience of the Readers Recommend panel. He is a Portland, ME author whose MCs are Portland PD Detective Mike McCabe and partner Detective Maggie Savage. Recommends Tracy Crosswhite series by Robert Dugoni.

Roger Johns (M). Debut novel is Dark River Rising, with Baton Rouge police detective Wallace Hartman.

Craig Robertson. Scot. DS Rachel Narey, Glasgow. Author of standalone Murderabilia.

(someone on the panel recommended Thomas Enger, Norwegian author of Henning Juul series). MC lost son, divorced wife.

Thursday, 2:30. ADAPTED FOR....... About books made into movies or TV shows.

Lou Berney. Edgar and Anthony award winning author.

Ann Cleves. Her books have been made into the Vera and Shetland TV Series.

Maureen Jennings. Her books have been made into the Canadian series The Murdoch Mysteries.

David Morell. Author of the books on which the movie series Rambo was based. He was a guest of honor at last year’s B-con and told some great stories about the filming of Rambo.

Yrsa Sigurdardottir. She is from Iceland and has a novel made into a movie that will be released in 2017 called Remember You. She writes horror and crime fiction.

Shawn Reilly Simmons (M). She writes the Red Carpet Catering series featuring Penelope Sutherland, an on-set movie caterer. Sounds cozy-ish to me, but I love movies so I may check one of these out. Unfortunately they are not available in either of my library systems.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (goodreadscomsusan_calder) | 8 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Bouchercon 2017

Last week I attended Bouchercon, the Mystery/Thriller conference for readers attended by readers, authors, reviewers, bloggers, and others in the book business. I was in readers’ h..."

I was there too, had fun and learned a lot, and look forward to reading your impressions.

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8063 comments Susan, wish I had known! Would have loved to meet you F2F. We'll have to keep in touch about future B-cons. Feel free to chime in on what you saw/enjoyed.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Carol: I am loving your details, so many tempting sounding books!
It seems like "lots" of books are adapted for movies/tv lately. Perhaps they always have been in more cases than I was aware of, but it seems like explosive growth. Did they mention anything about that?
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "
Thursday, 2:30. ADAPTED FOR....... About books made into movies or TV shows.
Yrsa Sigurdardottir. She is from Iceland and has a novel made into a movie that will be released in 2017 called Remember You. She writes horror and crime fiction.
..."

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8063 comments Ann wrote: "It seems like "lots" of books are adapted for movies/tv lately. Perhaps they always have been in more cases than I was aware of, but it seems like explosive growth. Did they mention anything about that? ..."

No, they didn't mention that, although it would have made a great audience question. Wish I'd thought of it! There was the usual talk about whether the author is involved in the film production or screenplay, etc.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Carol:
A good question for next time! I never seem to think of good questions on the spot. Did the authors like being involved with the video or casting production of their books?
I think of the famous reaction of Anne Rice when Tom Cruise was cast as Lestat. :)

message 14: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Ann wrote: "Carol:
A good question for next time! I never seem to think of good questions on the spot. Did the authors like being involved with the video or casting production of their books?
I think of the f..."

I remember going to a Robert B. Parker signing years back, when the Spenser TV show was on. From things he said, he wasn't thrilled with Robert Urich being cast as Spenser.

message 15: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8063 comments Ann wrote: "Carol:
I think of the f..."

Ha-ha! No, I don't think I've heard of any authors who were involved in the casting. The ones on the panel who were involved were mostly in the writing room, and they enjoyed the collaborative process, which is very different from the solitary writing they're used to.

message 16: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8063 comments Melodie wrote: "I remember going to a Robert B. Parker signing years back, when the Spenser TV show was on. From things he said, he wasn't thrilled with Robert Urich being cast as Spenser. ..."

I seem to remember that too, Melodie. I'm not sure what his problem was, I loved Robert Urich.

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8063 comments Thursday (cont'd)

4:00. UNSTABLE TALES. Psychological Crime Novels

I looked up each of these authors’ profiles in the hope that something would jog my memory about the panel, but I can’t remember a thing, except for the title The Magpies. Oh well.

Lisa Alber. Portland, OR author of the County Clare mysteries.

Lynne Constantine

Valerie Constantine

Mark Edward. Author of The Magpies (which sounds really creepy). His latest is The Lucky Ones, featuring a serial killer who want to make his victims happy before he murders them.

Paddy Hirsch (M).

Andrew Piper

Eric Rickstad

5:00 - DARK MINDS: Psychopaths and serial killers.

Carolyn Arnold. Writes four series including the Detective Madison Knight series and the Brandon Fisher, FBI profiler series. Both series have been “praised by those in law enforcement as being accurate and entertaining.”

G.L. Brown (M). Scottish author of the Charlie Wiggs series and the Craig McIntyre series.

Daniel Palmer. Domestic suspense.He is the son of medical thriller author Michael Palmer.and they have also co-authored a few suspense novels.

J.T. Ellison. Author of series featuring Nashville homicide lieutenant Taylor Jackson and medical examiner Dr. Samantha Owens (darker)

Andrew Grant. David Trevallyan series (Royal Navy Intelligence operative who works undercover), Cooper Devereaux series (Birmingham, AL police detective)

Alan Jacobson. Author of the FBI profiler Karen Vail series and OPSIG Team Black Novels.

Friday 8:30 - SECOND NOVEL. How different is the second novel from the first?

Wendy Walker. All is Not Forgotten is her first. Emma in the Night is her 2nd. (standalones)

Nick Petrie. The Drifter is his first novel.

Claire Booth. Sheriff Hank Worth series. Takes place in Branson, MO. Branson is a small town but it needs a large and complex police force because of the 1m visitors each year to its CW venues. Branson is the 2nd largest CW city after Nashville.

Junie Coffrey. Humorous capers.

Karen Katcher. Criminal justice degree.

Stacey Allen. Thrillers. Standalones. 3rd in a series.

Books recommended
Robert Dugoni -- author series. Seattle PD Tracy Crosswhite
Ellie Griffiths - Ruth Galloway. Forensic anthropologist in England
Rhys Bowen. In Farley Field. Her Royal Spyness.

message 18: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3695 comments wendy walker was the first author i hosted at my "new" job. :)

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Carol: They look like terrific authors to meet/hear and read.!

message 20: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8063 comments Sherry wrote: "wendy walker was the first author i hosted at my "new" job. :)"

Did you read her book, Sherry?

message 21: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8063 comments Ann wrote: "Carol: They look like terrific authors to meet/hear and read.!"

I know! I am going to refer to this record when I'm looking for something new to read. In fact we can use this if we're searching for a Group Read!

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Good idea Carol!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I know! I am going to refer to this record when I'm looking for something new to read. In fact we can use this if we're searching for a Group Read! ..."

message 23: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3695 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Sherry wrote: "wendy walker was the first author i hosted at my "new" job. :)"

Did you read her book, Sherry?"

i read Emma in the Night, carol. thought it was good, but was a little underwhelmed by parts of it, if that makes sense.