Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Reading in Woodhull, IL

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheyanna (new)

Cheyanna | 9 comments Earlier this week I read a blog post about the Read-a-thon at this blog https://terimcdowellott.com/2017/10/1.... After some investigating and discussion a few of us decided to join the fun. At this point I am not sure yet how many of us will be reading. I have snacks ready and piles of books. I am looking forward to the adventure!

message 2: by Colona Public Library (last edited Oct 20, 2017 04:07PM) (new)

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments Hello from Colona, IL! I've been meaning to visit Woodhull's library because I hear they have a picture of my grandma's graduating class. I hope you enjoy your read-a-thon! ~Ashley

message 3: by Cheyanna (new)

Cheyanna | 9 comments Ashley, let me know the year amd I can take a photo for you to have until you can visit.

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments Cheyanna wrote: "Ashley, let me know the year amd I can take a photo for you to have until you can visit."

Really? Thank you so much! I'll find out the year and PM you! ~Ashley

message 5: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Good luck!

message 6: by Cheyanna (new)

Cheyanna | 9 comments We did not begin reading until 1 p.m. Central Time. Two of us began by finishing books we were currently reading. We were joined by a third reader around 3 p.m. Two have been reading novels for the afternoon. One has finished the four books they were reading and then read a large stack of picture books. We have taken a couple of breaks for exercise and food.

We are back in our spots for more reading. During our breaks we have talked about plans for April. Since two of the readers are middle school students they are thinking of ways to include more friends and to make the day a party too.

As the lone adult I have enjoyed the on-going conversation about the books they are reading. My favorite phrase so far has been, "Can I spoil this book for you?" They are so considerate and also so much in need of sharing their experiences with the books they are reading. I have read many picture books so I can listen to their conversations and add my thoughts when they ask. I am glad my inter-library loans of picture books came in this week. :)

message 7: by Cheyanna (new)

Cheyanna | 9 comments Mid-Event Survey responses from our group of three:
1. What are you reading right now?
Crooked Kingdom, Windfall, Turtles All the Way Down.

2. How many books have you read so far?
We began by finishing books we were already reading, we are all now reading our first book.

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Since we all have to be up early in the morning and out of the house we will likely only finish the books we are currently reading.

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? We are talkers and movers so what might be interruptions for others are common practice for us. We have not felt interrupted, except by the basketball coach who needed us to help run a motion offense. We dealt with that interruption with grace and enthusiasm.

5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? No surprises yet.

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments How is your readathon going? I'm interested to see if you are enjoying John Green's new book? Happy Reading! ~Ashley

message 9: by Cheyanna (new)

Cheyanna | 9 comments Colona Public Library wrote: "How is your readathon going? I'm interested to see if you are enjoying John Green's new book? Happy Reading! ~Ashley"

We had an enjoyable time. Thanks for asking.

I am only about a third of the way into John Green's book and it is good so far. I had forgotten how easy it is to fall into his stories. I will share more once I have finished. Did you read it yet?

message 10: by Cheyanna (new)

Cheyanna | 9 comments Our group finished our reading at about 1 a.m. Central Time. As the lone adult I had gone to bed three hours earlier in order to be able to get out of bed in time on Sunday morning. The middle school students stayed up until 1 a.m. reading and discussing their books.

In all finished the following number of books:
Oldest student - read over half of their very thick novel.
Youngest student - completed one already-begun book, read one novel.
Adult - completed four already-begun books, read twenty picture books, began one new novel.

We have already marked the calendar for April's read-a-thon and will be making plans for how to participate even longer and more fully with the social media portions.

Thank you for the invitation and the well organized event!

message 11: by Colona Public Library (last edited Oct 26, 2017 05:26PM) (new)

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments Cheyanna wrote: "Ashley, let me know the year amd I can take a photo for you to have until you can visit."

Goodreads says that I can not send you a pm. So, I will post the info here if you don't mind! If you ever happen to be by the library if you could look for Betty Pheiffer and her graduation date was 1946! ~Ashley

message 12: by Cheyanna (new)

Cheyanna | 9 comments I will look tomorrow.

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments Cheyanna wrote: "I will look tomorrow."

Thank you so much! ~Ashley

message 14: by Cheyanna (new)

Cheyanna | 9 comments Our plans for the Read-a-thon of April 2018!

Our group has been looking forward to this even all winter. We have added one high school student to our group; this takes our total to four members with our two middle school students and me. The members of our group voted that they wanted to try and read for twenty-four hours in a row so we are going to have our read-a-thon 7 .m. May 4th to 7 p.m. May 5th. We realize this means we cannot read at the same time as everyone else, but our schedules for the Read-a-thon weekend are limited in the time we have for any reading.

Our plans for our twenty-four hours is to include taking a break every three hours of reading for discussion and activities. Each group member will pick one activity for the group. We also planning a menu for the event. I am excited to be a part of this with the three excited younger readers.

Enjoy your reading!

message 15: by Cheyanna (new)

Cheyanna | 9 comments Our group had conflicts most of the day but have plans to do some reading this evening and into the night. Happy reading everyone!