Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Crossroads Of Civilization: 3000 Years Of Persian History
This topic is about Crossroads Of Civilization
Book Cover Help > Please add a cover picture for this book

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Leroy Erickson (erickslv) Please add a cover picture for the book "Crossroads of Civilization" by Clive Irving at this link:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

My scan of the cover is on dropbox at this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cz4cy0977ox...

Note: my copy of the book matches the ISBN at the given link.

Thank you.

Leroy Erickson

message 2: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Amazon shows a jacket on the cover. Please provide a scan/picture of the book with the jacket.

Thank you

Leroy Erickson (erickslv) I do not have the jacket on my copy of the book. When I search online, the copies that I see with jackets are book club editions.

Leroy

message 4: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Hi Leroy. So just to confirm. You are saying the book in your hand was published and sold in 79 without the jacket?

Leroy Erickson (erickslv) I purchased my copy of the book on September 15th of this year from Better World Books through biblio.com. It was formerly owned by Gettysburg College Library. Yes, I received it without a dust jacket. I can't say anything as to how it was originally sold.

message 6: by Empress (last edited Oct 21, 2017 08:51AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Leroy wrote: "I purchased my copy of the book on September 15th of this year from Better World Books through biblio.com. It was formerly owned by Gettysburg College Library. Yes, I received it without a dust jacket. I can't say anything as to how it was originally sold. "

We have a strict policy about not replacing covers after they are uploaded, which makes me highly reluctant to upload anything but the actual cover. Since you image and statement are not a proof that this is how the book was printed and sold I don't feel comfortable with uploading the image. If another librarian or staff member disagrees with this, please proceed with upload.

message 7: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) I've proceeded to upload the jacketed cover. Please create an ACE with the above image if you believe it should have a separate entry.

Thank you

message 8: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Someone pointed out to me the publisher difference. Reverted cover change and created ACE for the AMAZON edition here:

I am still reluctant to upload the cover without a jacket. Sorry

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 1763 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Someone pointed out to me the publisher difference. Reverted cover change and created ACE for the AMAZON edition here:

I am still reluctant to upload the cover without a jacket. Sorry"

If you look at the bottom of the spine of the jacket, the publisher matches the ISBN listing "Weidenfeld & Nicolson".

message 10: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Melanie wrote: "If you look at the bottom of the spine of the jacket, the publisher matches the ISBN listing "Weidenfeld & Nicolson". "

My fault. I said (elsewhere) that the publisher listed on Amazon was not the same and that it was listed as a book club edition.

So should the ACE be merged into the existing edition?

message 11: by Empress (last edited Oct 21, 2017 11:24AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Ts-ts lethe, how there you help me :)

I think it depends whether the other cover will be uploaded (the no-jacket cover) to the original book record. If it is added to the ISBN edition the ACE should stay but with the correct publisher information.
If the only cover that should be used is the jacket one a merge would be fine with me

message 12: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) I've changed the ACE publisher to reflect the cover. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 13: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "I've changed the ACE publisher to reflect the cover. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3..."

Always happy to help, Ellie ;P

I really do think the 'Book club edition' notation needs to go, though *ducks*

The cover image and the info on Amazon don't match. Either it's a book club edition by another publisher, or it's a regular edition by W & N.

message 14: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Agreed, done :)