Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood
This topic is about Born a Crime
Born a Crime > Telling His Story

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brantford (last edited Oct 20, 2017 02:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
Why do you think Trevor Noah decided to tell this story? What do you think he was trying to say by putting his story out there?

If he were to write a follow-up book, what questions would you want it to answer?

Laura | 92 comments I feel that he is such a good storyteller that no matter what he decides to write next, it will be interesting and entertaining.
This book was full of stories that really give you an insight into his life and what life must have been like in South Africa at that time and place.

message 3: by Anna (last edited Oct 24, 2017 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments I think in many ways the book is to pay homage to his mother who he clearly has a lot of respect for.
I would like to know if he continues to have any contact with his father all these years later and what his relationships are like with his brothers.

I heard him on an interview say that he frequently flies back to S. Africa, even if it is just for a weekend.

Colleen | 101 comments I'm all tossed up about this book. I enjoyed it... enough. He seems to have a super interesting life. He's written about his parents in what I feel was a really realistic manner, they are anything but perfect, yet I finished the novel having a respect for both of them. I was given a bit of an insider view on the political and social situation that I've never read before. But when it was all said and done, I don't think I totally know WHY he wrote the novel. I guess just to put his life down on paper. Going into it, I felt (or perhaps was hoping) it was going to have more of a political edge, but it turned out to be just another celeb telling their life story, which I really have no desire to read. If there was ever to be a follow up novel, I would be far more interested to see what he's doing to help the situation in South Africa now that he has both massive earning power and a huge public forum.

message 5: by Karen (last edited Oct 29, 2017 06:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments I don't read celebrity bios either. But, in this case I'm glad I did. Trevor shared his life story with such honest transparency that at points I was both shocked and humbled. With the life threatening events that occurred around him, I find it surprising that he came out the other side as a productive member of society.
I believe it was all down to his Mother.
I think Trevor wrote this to educate the reader about apartheid and
remind us that perseverance and real Love make all the difference in our lives.