What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Young adult book about psychic children

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin Bissell | 2 comments This book may be one of a series - I'm not sure. The book opens with a young boy/teen on a train/subway. The teen has no memory of anything before being on the train. He meets a young girl who is blind; she is part of a family who has various psychic/mental abilities. It turns out that he has similar abilities. He is being pursued by members of a secret organization (maybe government) from whom he had escaped before; they had wiped his memory with some sort of shock therapy treatments in a machine (possibly called Matilda). The cover of the book has the boy being dragged toward the machine.

I originally read this book in the early/mid 1980's.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide!

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric Klein (wheelguyeric102963) | 13 comments Try Carrie by Stephen king

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2420 comments For sure this is not Carrie -- no resemblance whatsoever.

Justin was this a YA book or aimed at adults? Do you happen to know whether it was a new book at the time you read it, or an older one?

message 5: by Kelly (last edited Oct 21, 2017 04:20PM) (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments Definitely The Case of the Vanishing Boy, by Alexander Key. One of my favorites as a kid. The boy is on a bus, being taken to a reform school at the beginning. The girl is blind, but can psychically "see", and Matilda is the name of the machine.

message 6: by Michele (new)

message 7: by Kokomomomo (new)

Kokomomomo | 62 comments Just curious, but is my earlier comment not showing up?

message 8: by Michele (last edited Oct 23, 2017 03:09PM) (new)

Michele | 2420 comments Verena wrote: "Just curious, but is my earlier comment not showing up?"

No, it's fine -- I just didn't scroll up far enough so didn't see it. Sorry :)

message 9: by Kokomomomo (new)

Kokomomomo | 62 comments No problem - I was just worried it was some kind of bug. (Or I'd become a ghost! o_o )

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19035 comments Still looking, Justin?