The Challenge Factory discussion

The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett
This topic is about The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett
2017 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Group Read: The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Oct 20, 2017 12:36PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16365 comments Mod
Group Read starting Monday October 23, 2017
The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett by Chelsea Sedoti
The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett by Chelsea Sedoti
BLURB:
A teenage misfit named Hawthorn Creely inserts herself in the investigation of missing person Lizzie Lovett, who disappeared mysteriously while camping with her boyfriend. Hawthorn doesn't mean to interfere, but she has a pretty crazy theory about what happened to Lizzie. In order to prove it, she decides to immerse herself in Lizzie's life. That includes taking her job... and her boyfriend. It's a huge risk — but it's just what Hawthorn needs to find her own place in the world.

message 2: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Oct 20, 2017 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

reserved

message 4: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

reserved

message 5: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 196 comments I'll try it!

message 6: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

I am going to join on audio

message 7: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 196 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I am going to join on audio"

My library has it in audio too. I can't do audio. My mind always wanders....

message 8: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

JoAnne wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "I am going to join on audio"

My library has it in audio too. I can't do audio. My mind always wanders...."

I find it easier to listen as I am an auditory learner

message 9: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 196 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "JoAnne wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "I am going to join on audio"

I find it easier to listen as I am an auditory learner"

I find it amazing how people differ and that there are so many choices today!

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments I'll also be listening :)

message 11: by Heather (last edited Oct 20, 2017 10:25PM) (new)

Heather | 268 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "JoAnne wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "I am going to join on audio"

I find it easier to listen as I am an auditory learner"

Im the opposite. In school I HAD to read something for myself to truly "get" it. I was in bad shape if the teacher only read aloud. However, I tried audio books a few months ago and really liked them. I was totally surprised!

message 12: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 750 comments I read pretty slow but I'm going to try and participate.

message 13: by Gayetri (new)

Gayetri Mitra | 2 comments I would like to participate

message 14: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

Krissy, Gayetri, Christina, Heather, Joanne,
I’m glad you guys are going to try this one with me.

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments I'll be starting this morning!

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments Wow. Hawthorn is really bitter.

message 17: by Amber (new)

Amber | 18 comments I'm in!!

message 18: by Amber (new)

Amber | 18 comments I'm going to be listening to this book through Audible just cause I have some built up credits I can use for it. And.... I have bought so many books from Amazon for my Kindle my hubby told me to chillax on the books!!! LOL.

message 19: by Krissy (last edited Oct 23, 2017 09:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments Amber, you don't have overdrive? It's free there

message 20: by Amber (new)

Amber | 18 comments Krissy wrote: "Amber, you don't have overdrive? It's free there"

Overdrive?

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments Most local libraries have a site for ebooks and audiobooks. Check to see if yours does and if so just download the overdrive app, search for your library, log into it with your library card # then check out audiobooks and ebooks to your heart's content

message 22: by Amber (new)

Amber | 18 comments Oh ok, Awesome!!! I will definitely be doing that. As far as this book goes though I have listed to the first 2 chapters and this so aint my style of book. It has yet to get my attention.

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments I'm at 26%, Chapter 10, 2:34:49 audio

What I like:
▪The cover. For some reason I really love the cover.
▪The narrator does a perfect job voicing Hawthorn
▪The story so far isn't terrible

What I don't like:
▪Hawthorn. Get the fuck over yourself. I hate people who act like a victim when nothing bad has ever happened to them. Ooooo she's not popular. Boo-fucking-hoo
▪Her theory about (view spoiler) is stupid af. If this turns into a (view spoiler) I'll be pissed

message 24: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

Krissy wrote: "Wow. Hawthorn is really bitter."

I think something happened to her to create this hateration, don’t you think?

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments I thought maybe that was the case but nope. That's just her personality.

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments She's very prejudice against beautiful people.

message 27: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

Krissy wrote: "I thought maybe that was the case but nope. That's just her personality."

I’m still listening to it but I was thinking teenagers are petty

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments Some more than others. If my teen had her attitude we'd be havin some words.

message 29: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

I’m on chapter 5. She is a self centered girl who was immensely jealous of Lizzie. She envied Lizzie for seeming to have it all. I’m not sure why she has no friends, is it only because she busted Mr. Comensky sleeping with a student?

Hawthorn is just fixated on Lizzie. I wonder is she has a crush on her.

message 30: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

I’m kind of intrigued in the fact that a high school’s girl really believes a missing girl turned werewolf. Enzo is 25?

message 31: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new) - rated it 2 stars

Why is Emily friends with Hawthorne? She is sensible, responsible and nice while Hawthorne lives in a fantasy world and thinks everything is against her. I wish there was more background on Hawthorne

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments Hawthorn irritated me with the whole werewolf thing. Plus she would get legitimately pissed off when somebody wouldn't even consider the possibility! Your 17 years old, girl. Don't be so ridiculous.

message 33: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Oct 31, 2017 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Discussion Questions for Post 2

1. When Lizzie Lovett first disappears, the town is upset, but Hawthorn is ambivalent. As time passes, their roles reverse. Is there a reason for this shift? If it were you, how might you have reacted?
I don't think Hawthorn was ambivalent, she was more like "good! I am glad she's gone and everyone can stop obsessing about little miss perfect lizzie. Her jealous made her feel a little happy, in my opinion!"

2. As Hawthorn discovers, sometimes expectations can ruin an experience. What expectations did Hawthorn have that turned out vastly different from what she imagined? What was her reaction to these situations?
Her one on one meeting with Lizzie. She was expecting this bonding moment that would be so meaningful and Lizzie would find a kindred spirit in her. But Lizzie was more shallow than Hawthorn expected...at least in Lizzie's perspective. And it colored their relationshop since

3. Is Hawthorn’s relationship with Enzo positive or negative? By the end of the book, has it helped her grow or harmed her?
I am not sure. I think Enzo started making her think about herself more. What she wanted like going to a dance, what she would wear, so Hawthorn finally started wondering about experiencing life for herself and not obsessing about what Lizzie was doing or how Lizzie would do it

4. What gives people like Mychelle so much power? Is the bullying Hawthorn faces a product of her own actions? Is there something she could or should have done to prevent it?
What gave Mychelle power was that she knew her words were effecting Hawthorn. She was also more popular and thus could reach more people via her social circles to add more chorus of laughter. I like that Hawthorn fought back and she should continue fighting back.

5. Do you agree with Emily’s decision to take a break from Hawthorn? Was she being a good or bad friend by doing so?
I like Emily and wondered why she was friends with Hawthorn to begin with. Hawthorn didn't seem to care about anyone, not even herself as much as it was all about Lizzie. Even Emily called her out on being self-centered. Sometimes you need to take a break from those kinds of "friends"

6. We all wear masks and try to let people see only what we want them to. During the story, whose masks are removed and what is revealed? What does Hawthorn learn about the difference between knowing someone and knowing about someone?
I don't think many masks were removed.
I was amused by Hawthorn's dad finally saying that the mom's old lifestyle wasn't as cute and amusing as it initially was.
Enzo's mask that he wasn't really into Hawthorn as much as he wanted to forget Lizzie was important for HAwthorn to grow.
I also like the change with Hawthorn & her brother, Hawthorn and Connor.
But the author didn't develop these characters that well

7. Discuss Enzo’s painting of Hawthorn. What’s the difference between seeing Hawthorn for who she is versus creating a painting of how she sees the world? How is one better than the other?
I love that Enzo painted what he saw. Because in Lizzie, Enzo saw the image and not maybe who Lizzie was. He thought she was happy with everyone and everything. So he just didn't really see depth in Lizzie. It was clear that Hawthorn was so unhappy with herself so she didn't even know herself

8. Does Hawthorn genuinely believe in her farfetched theory about Lizzie’s disappearance? If so, what does this say about her? If not, why do you think she aggressively pursues the theory? What does this fantasy offer to Hawthorn?
It disturbs me that a girl read for college really kept advancing a werewolf theory when a girl was missing. This was really a problem for me.
And the matter of animosity and jealousy and envy was perplexing

9. Hawthorn is profoundly impacted when the truth about Lizzie’s disappearance is discovered. Why do you think she reacted the way she did?
Because Hawthorn find out that Lizzie wasn't happy and perfect. Then the author really lost me when she started making Hawthorn talk about how she could have helped Lizzie. Really? What a 360 that was in.

10. Hawthorn creates fictions about many people. Why do you think she does this? If you were a student in school with Hawthorn, what fictions might she create about your life?
This question is kind of stupid. How would you know you are in school with a "Hawthorn"? It's not like she has had a meaningful interaction with anyone other than Emily. They don't know her just like she doesn't really know her classmates. Plus, no one truly knows what goes on in the head of other people.
Not one of those students knew the depths of Lizzie's despair.

BTW, it was pretty crappy that the author didn't expound on Lizzie from a perspective of someone who actually knew her.