The BookBum Club {HIATUS} discussion

GENERAL > Theme ideas

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zuky (new)

Zuky the BookBum (zukythebookbum) | 107 comments Mod
I want to make this book club as exclusive as possible so I thought I'd put it out to the members to come up with some theme ideas we could use!

Feel free to share any ideas you have!

Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts (bookmarkyourthoughts) | 20 comments Some themes we did this year are:

- love and romance
- coming of age and children's books
- secrets, spies, and espionage
- trials and suffering
- self-discovery and transformation
- non-human perspective
- high school specials
- elementary and middle school specials
- classics
- creepy and eerie
- memoirs
- feel-good book

I don't know if any of those sound interesting, but they could lead to other ideas :) Others we were thinking were stand-a-lone's and books with a Fall cover.

The Carrion Librarian  (carrionlibrarian) How about:
-Your Great White Whale (the giant book you've been meaning to read for years)
-Better Late Than Never ( a book you were assigned to read in school and never did)
-The Rest of the Story (the next book in the series you've never got around to reading)

Bibliomysterious BAM I’ve been collecting lists of categories for the book club of which I’m the moderator, so I will be more than happy to simply read what you suggest. I have too, too many books on my TBR shelf I can meet most obligations.

Hafsa | حفصہ (vibingwithabook) | 20 comments - The Black Sheep (a book you own but it's not from your favourite genre)

Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts (bookmarkyourthoughts) | 20 comments I love the witty titles for the themes!!!

message 7: by Zuky (new)

I love these ideas guys! I have a big long list of them now, how exciting!!

Thanks for your help - keep 'em coming!

message 8: by Ali (new)

Ali (ali909) - The First One and The Last One (pick two books - yes :)) the very first one and the very last one on your TBR)
- Do it like a Pro - a book that is related to your profession, or maybe the main character has same profession as you :)) or a book that is written by some professional that you have always admired.
- Discover a New Land ( a book by a foreign author or a book about a country that you have never been to.)

message 9: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (goodreadscomwhatcathyreadnext) | 40 comments A book with your name in the title or of a main character

message 10: by Zuky (new)

Bit difficult for me Cathy! But like the idea, we could incorporate it to "characters who's names begin with the same letter as your name" as I might be able to find a Zoe or Zack... Doubt I could get a Zuky though haha!

message 11: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainlockholmes) The name thing is for me too, but a letter might work.

message 12: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (goodreadscomwhatcathyreadnext) | 40 comments Zuky, we simply have to get an author to write a book with your name in the title!

message 13: by Zuky (new)

Cathy wrote: "Zuky, we simply have to get an author to write a book with your name in the title!"

Yes Cathy, I think we will have to make that our mission! Haha! :-)

message 14: by Ali (new)

Ali (ali909) Well, this is not a theme as such, but perhaps we could have a tread where people say what they are planning to read nest (say next month to allow to get a book) and if someone would like to join and have a buddy read, they can join?

message 15: by Kenna (new)

Kenna Hargett  (thefoxybooklady) | 3 comments Love these ideas!!

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura The Carrion Librarian wrote: "How about:
-Your Great White Whale (the giant book you've been meaning to read for years)
-Better Late Than Never ( a book you were assigned to read in school and never did)
-The Rest of the Story ..."

Love these ideas. I also think it would be interesting to pick a book from a genre that we typically don't enjoy (e.g. fantasy in my case).

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Loop | 7 comments -cryptids (a book that has an "animal whose existence or survival to the present day is disputed or unsubstantiated; any animal of interest to a cryptozoologist" example bigfoot, mothman, ect. theres so many out there. It doesn't have to be something to learn about them maybe a horror story with one.
-aliens
-Dystopian and Post-Apocalyptic
-paranormal romance
-maybe do a theme where a book cover is used so much that you have to pick another book with that same cover
-guilty pleasure (a book that maybe few like or that yu know is terrible but you still enjoy it anyways)

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine  | 24 comments all the ideas above seem great, I'm down for all of them

message 19: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (goodreadscomwhatcathyreadnext) | 40 comments For February, seeing as it includes Valentine's Day, how about books with any of the following in the title: Love, heart, darling(s), dear/dearest, secret?

message 20: by Katherine (new)

Katherine  | 24 comments Cathy wrote: "For February, seeing as it includes Valentine's Day, how about books with any of the following in the title: Love, heart, darling(s), dear/dearest, secret?"

Uuuuuuu YES

message 21: by Zuky (new)

Cathy wrote: "For February, seeing as it includes Valentine's Day, how about books with any of the following in the title: Love, heart, darling(s), dear/dearest, secret?"

Ahh Cathy! I'm so sorry, I didn't see this until now, I must have missed it in my notifications! I'm not a Valentine's kinda girl (I don't celebrate it with my bf) so I look over the whole romance thing in Feb!

Great idea for a theme tho, for a book to feature a certain word! I like that and may use it for another month :D

message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments how about -
title with nature, trees or flowers
Disasters or other weather related books
a translated to English book-out of this (my) country
something out of this world- Sci Fi

message 23: by Zuky (new)

Sue wrote: "how about -
title with nature, trees or flowers
Disasters or other weather related books
a translated to English book-out of this (my) country
something out of this world- Sci Fi"

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll add them to my list :-P

message 24: by Magical_Bookworm (new)

Magical_Bookworm | 26 comments How about where you would have to read a book with your favorite supernatural creature

message 25: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainlockholmes) Nice one bookworm.
I love a lot of those above too.

message 26: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments I don't know if others are interested. but the NPr Great American read has a list of 100 rec. books. I thought it might be fun to reread a few and read some I missed out on. What do you think?

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american...

the themes might be new and old ones from the list

message 27: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments Do we have a Thene for June?

message 28: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments 2 more theme ideas:
- read something meant for a younger age group\or Sci fi
and call it Childhood doesn't end

friend/person recommended and call it:
You said it was Good

message 29: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (goodreadscomwhatcathyreadnext) | 40 comments Thinking ahead for September and the start of the new school year: Back to School (book set in an educational establishment) or Childhood Favourites (a book/author you loved as a child - great excuse for a re-read)

message 30: by Zuky (new)

Cathy wrote: "Thinking ahead for September and the start of the new school year: Back to School (book set in an educational establishment) or Childhood Favourites (a book/author you loved as a child - great excu..."

I had thought of a school theme for next month too! I'm going to incorporate several "school" types of books into the theme :-)

message 31: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments Any ideas for November- I also thought something with or about elections, politics, a capital city or just somehow linked to government--and call it voting for a good
book!