Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Emily's Wicked Cool Plan

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (last edited Dec 19, 2018 02:59PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I'm on track to entirely complete the 2017 plan! Woot! Probably won't complete the 2018 plan, but you never know.

Prompts completed (37/52):

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title - All the Money in the World: What the Happiest People Know About Getting and Spending completed 6/9
2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list - Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise completed 8/27
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay completed 1/12
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...) - An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth completed 7/25
5. A book about or inspired by real events - Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption completed 2/3
6. A book originally written in a language other than English - Death with Interruptions completed 7/11
9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc) - Jane and the Wandering Eye completed 3/4
10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published) - Still Life completed 2/23
11. A literary fiction - A Prayer for Owen Meany completed 12/19
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc) - The Secret Keeper completed 6/10
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire - When We Were on Fire: A Memoir of Consuming Faith, Tangled Love, and Starting Over completed 8/14
15. A book with an unique format/writing structure - Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters completed 5/5
16. A narrative nonfiction - Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race completed 8/7
17. A book you expect to make you laugh - Today Will Be Different completed 4/20
18. A book with a location in the title - The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris completed 9/29
19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors) - Arthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letters completed 1/9
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends - Letters from Father Christmas completed 12/9
21. A book written in first person perspective - A Million Junes completed 5/13
24. A book with a map - Going Solo completed 4/6
26. A book with a text-only cover - You Think It, I'll Say It completed 9/28
27. A book about surviving a hardship - Secrets of a Charmed Life completed 4/10
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water - The Art of Racing in the Rain completed 4/27
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench) - Girl Waits with Gun completed 3/19
30. A short book - The Princess Saves Herself in this One completed 7/29
31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to - The Likeness completed 3/27
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call: A book published or set before 1900 - Jane and the Man of the Cloth completed 2/7
35. A book featuring a murder - Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor completed 1/23
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before - The Bookshop on the Corner completed 4/16
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title - No! I Don't Want to Join a Book Club: Diary of a Sixtieth Year completed 2/1
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials - The Group by Mary McCarthy completed 5/6
44. A ghost story - The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation completed 1/8
45. A book that intimidates/scares you - 11/22/63 completed 1/20
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air - Coming Up for Air completed 2/13
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own - Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet completed 5/9
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists - The Midnight Assassin: Panic, Scandal, and the Hunt for America's First Serial Killer completed 2/14
50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer) - The Music Shop completed 2/19
52. A book published in 2018 - The Atomic City Girls completed 1/14

Prompts to be completed (15/52):

7. A gothic novel - Northanger Abbey
8. An "own voices" book
12. A book set in Africa or South America
22. A book you have high expectations or hope for - Lincoln in the Bardo
23. A medical or legal thriller
25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
32. An alternate history book - The Plot Against America
33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you - Forever, Interrupted or Rest in Power: The Enduring Life of Trayvon Martin
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee - Bel Canto
38. A science book or a science fiction book - Record of a Spaceborn Few
40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list - The Age of Innocence
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth) - The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection

message 2: by Emily (last edited Feb 01, 2018 11:03AM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments January

Books completed for prompts:

3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay completed 1/12
19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors) - Arthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letters completed 1/9
35. A book featuring a murder - Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor completed 1/23
44. A ghost story - The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation completed 1/8
45. A book that intimidates/scares you - 11/22/63 completed 1/20
52. A book published in 2018 - The Atomic City Girls completed 1/14

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them The Original Screenplay by J.K. Rowling Arthur Conan Doyle A Life in Letters by Jon Lellenberg Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Jane Austen Mysteries, #1) by Stephanie Barron The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation by Louisa May Alcott 11/22/63 by Stephen King The Atomic City Girls by Janet Beard

Books completed that don't count for prompts:

To Kill a Mockingbird - completed 1/27 (reread)
The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember completed 1/31

message 3: by Emily (last edited Apr 10, 2018 02:18PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments February

5. A book about or inspired by real events - Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption completed 2/3
10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published) - Still Life completed 2/23
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call: A book published or set before 1900 - Jane and the Man of the Cloth completed 2/7
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title - No! I Don't Want to Join a Book Club: Diary of a Sixtieth Year completed 2/1
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air - Coming Up for Air completed 2/13
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists - The Midnight Assassin: Panic, Scandal, and the Hunt for America's First Serial Killer completed 2/14
50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer) - The Music Shop completed 2/19

Just Mercy A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1) by Louise Penny Jane and the Man of the Cloth (Jane Austen Mysteries, #2) by Stephanie Barron No! I Don't Want to Join a Book Club Diary of a Sixtieth Year by Virginia Ironside Coming Up for Air by George Orwell The Midnight Assassin Panic, Scandal, and the Hunt for America's First Serial Killer by Skip Hollandsworth The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce

Jane and the Man of the Cloth - completed 2/7

message 4: by Emily (last edited Apr 07, 2018 08:22AM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments March

9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc) - Jane and the Wandering Eye completed 3/4
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench) - Girl Waits with Gun completed 3/19
31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to - The Likeness completed 3/27

Jane and the Wandering Eye (Jane Austen Mysteries, #3) by Stephanie Barron Girl Waits with Gun (Kopp Sisters, #1) by Amy Stewart The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) by Tana French

Magpie Murders - completed 3/8
The Great Detective: The Amazing Rise and Immortal Life of Sherlock Holmes - completed 3/15
Murder Is Bad Manners completed 3/26
The Life We Bury completed 3/31

message 5: by Emily (last edited Apr 27, 2018 09:27AM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments April

17. A book you expect to make you laugh - Today Will Be Different completed 4/20
24. A book with a map - Going Solo completed 4/6
27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc) - Secrets of a Charmed Life completed 4/10
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water - The Art of Racing in the Rain completed 4/27
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before - The Bookshop on the Corner completed 4/16

Today Will Be Different by Maria Semple Going Solo by Roald Dahl Secrets of a Charmed Life by Susan Meissner The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan

BiblioTech: Why Libraries Matter More Than Ever in the Age of Google completed 4/14
Jane and the Genius of the Place completed 4/25

message 6: by Emily (last edited Jul 02, 2018 12:57PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments May

15. A book with an unique format/writing structure - Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters completed 5/5
21. A book written in first person perspective - A Million Junes completed 5/13
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials - The Group by Mary McCarthy completed 5/6
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own - Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet completed 5/9

Texts from Jane Eyre And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters by Mallory Ortberg A Million Junes by Emily Henry The Group by Mary McCarthy Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

The Imperfectionists completed 5/18
Jane and the Stillroom Maid completed 5/21
Victoria completed 5/30
Teaching the New Library completed 5/31

message 7: by Emily (last edited Jul 02, 2018 12:56PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments June

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title - All the Money in the World: What the Happiest People Know About Getting and Spending completed 6/9
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc) - The Secret Keeper completed 6/10

All the Money in the World What the Happiest People Know about Getting and Spending by Laura Vanderkam The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

Florence Harding: The First Lady, the Jazz Age, and the Death of America's Most Scandalous President completed 6/2
Murder on the Orient Express completed 6/11
Adult Programs in the Library completed 6/13
Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House completed 6/20
Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously completed 6/21
Margaret Fuller: A New American Life completed 6/26
A Little Something Different completed 6/29

message 8: by Emily (last edited Jul 31, 2018 06:41PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments July

4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...) - An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth completed 7/25
6. A book originally written in a language other than English - Death with Interruptions completed 7/11
30. A short book - The Princess Saves Herself in this One completed 7/29

An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield Death with Interruptions by José Saramago The Princess Saves Herself in this One (Women are Some Kind of Magic, #1) by Amanda Lovelace

The Magician's Book: A Skeptic's Adventures in Narnia completed 7/4
The Summer Queen completed 7/18
Disciple: Becoming Disciples Through Bible Study completed 7/21
Giant Days, Vol. 1 completed 7/25
An Age of License: A Travelogue completed 7/26
Giant Days, Vol. 2 completed 7/26
French Milk completed 7/28
Giant Days, Vol. 3 completed 7/28
El Deafo completed 7/28

message 9: by Emily (last edited Oct 01, 2018 11:26AM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments August

2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list - Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise completed 8/27
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire - When We Were on Fire: A Memoir of Consuming Faith, Tangled Love, and Starting Over completed 8/14
16. A narrative nonfiction - Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race completed 8/7

Garlic and Sapphires The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise by Ruth Reichl When We Were on Fire A Memoir of Consuming Faith, Tangled Love, and Starting Over by Addie Zierman Hidden Figures The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly

Bless Her Dead Little Heart completed 8/2
The Real Thing: Lessons on Love and Life from a Wedding Reporter's Notebook completed 8/6
Jane and His Lordship's Legacy completed 8/8
Giant Days, Vol. 4 completed 8/11
A Storied Life completed 8/17
A Year of Marvellous Ways completed 8/22
Practical Magic completed 8/29
Jane Austen at Home completed 8/31

message 10: by Emily (last edited Oct 01, 2018 11:41AM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments September

18. A book with a location in the title - The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris completed 9/29
26. A book with a text-only cover - You Think It, I'll Say It completed 9/28

The Greater Journey Americans in Paris by David McCullough You Think It, I'll Say It by Curtis Sittenfeld

A Time of Love and Tartan completed 9/2
Giant Days, Vol. 5 completed 9/4
Giant Days, Vol. 6 completed 9/6
The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals completed 9/10
Jane and the Barque of Frailty completed 9/14
Gutenberg's Apprentice completed 9/17
Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron completed 9/20
Philippians: Choosing Joy: A Love God Greatly Study Journal completed 9/27
The Gorgeous Nothings: Emily Dickinson's Envelope Poems completed 9/30

message 11: by Emily (last edited Dec 08, 2018 02:26PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments October

N/A

Honor Girl: A Graphic Memoir completed 10/3
Giant Days, Vol. 7 completed 10/8
Jane and the Canterbury Tale completed 10/9
Almost Famous Women completed 10/12
Walking with Frodo: A Devotional Journey Through the Lord of the Rings completed 10/19
Special Topics in Calamity Physics completed 10/20
Giant Days: Extra Credit completed 10/20
Giant Days Vol. 8 completed 10/26
Reflections on the Psalms completed 10/31

message 12: by Emily (last edited Dec 08, 2018 02:27PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments November

N/A

Hissing Cousins: The Untold Story of Eleanor Roosevelt and Alice Roosevelt Longworth completed 11/6
The Weight of Glory completed 11/8
Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World completed 11/12
Bossypants completed 11/18
Front-Page Girls: Women Journalists in American Culture and Fiction, 1880-1930 completed 11/23
Christmas on the Island completed 11/24
Interior Castle completed 11/30

message 13: by Emily (last edited Dec 19, 2018 03:01PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments December

11. A literary fiction - A Prayer for Owen Meany completed 12/19
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends - Letters from Father Christmas completed 12/9

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving Letters from Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien

'Tis The Season completed 12/1
Skipping Christmas completed 12/4
The Season of the Nativity: Confessions and Practices of an Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany Extremist completed 12/5
Jane and the Twelve Days of Christmas completed 12/6
Janette Oke's Reflections on the Christmas Story completed 12/24
A Christmas Carol, The Chimes and The Cricket on the Hearth completed 12/26

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments I have Crossing to Safety on my plan for 2018 as a possible book! It came highly recommended. :)

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I completed 6 prompts in January and 1 on February 1! Making good progress!

message 16: by Emily (last edited Oct 01, 2018 11:30AM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I completed 6 prompts in February! Yay!

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I completed 3 prompts in March and 1 in April so far.

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Decided to retroactively count a book I finished in February for a prompt, so I finished 7 prompts that month.

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Completed 5 prompts in April!

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Completed 4 prompts in May!

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments Only completed 2 prompts in June. This challenge isn't my highest priority in terms of reading goals this year, but it's still fun when I do get to mark off a prompt.

message 22: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I completed 3 prompts in July!

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I guess I never updated for August: I finished 3 prompts in August and 2 in September!

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I didn't complete any prompts in October or November....but I've finished one In December and will complete one more before the 31st!

message 25: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I have finished ATY for the year! 37/52 completed, which is not as great as last year, but that's ok. I read a lot of great books and have 2 more to complete.

For 2019, you can find me at Emily's Laid-Back Plan.