The BookBum Club {HIATUS} discussion

NOVEMBER 2017 THEME > November 2017 Theme: HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Zuky (last edited Oct 20, 2017 09:15AM) (new)

Zuky the BookBum (zukythebookbum) | 107 comments Mod
THE THEME FOR NOVEMBER IS: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

It’s my birthday in November, I’m turning 21!

This theme is open to any kind of book you’ve received from another person, not including the publishers! If you happened to receive the book on your birthday, that’s a bonus!

~

I'll be reading: I'm Traveling Alone by Samuel Bjork

My boyfriend bought me this book sometime last year, and then dad gifted me the second in the series, so it’s really about time I got round to reading it!

~

Let me know what book you'll be choosing to read this month!

message 2: by Cat (new)

Cat (loverbot) | 4 comments My birthday was three days ago (I turned 20... yikes) and my mom got me books as a gift, one of them being "Carry On" by Rainbow Rowell.
Rainbow Rowell is one of my favorite authors and I love the bits of fanfiction in Fangirl, so it's only obvious I choose this book! Great timing, can't wait to start reading it.

message 3: by Zuky (new)

Cat wrote: "My birthday was three days ago (I turned 20... yikes) and my mom got me books as a gift, one of them being "Carry On" by Rainbow Rowell.
Rainbow Rowell is one of my favorite authors..."

What great timing indeed! I really hope you enjoy the book, I've seen lots of great reviews for it :-)

message 4: by Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts (last edited Oct 20, 2017 11:20AM) (new)

Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts (bookmarkyourthoughts) | 20 comments Happy belated Birthday Cat!

My good friend from university buys me books all the time ha-ha! He knows me so well. He bought me "Traitor's Blade" by Sebastien de Castell a while ago, so I think I'll read that one.

This was ALSO for my birthday this year :)

message 5: by Zuky (new)

Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts wrote: "Happy belated Birthday Cat!

My good friend from university buys me books all the time ha-ha! He knows me so well. He bought me "Traitor's Blade" by Sebastien de Castell a while ago, so I think I'l..."

Bonus points for that then Jenna!!

Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts (bookmarkyourthoughts) | 20 comments Zuky wrote: "Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts wrote: "Happy belated Birthday Cat!

My good friend from university buys me books all the time ha-ha! He knows me so well. He bought me "Traitor's Blade" by Sebastien..."

Woot!! I feel like a cool kid now :P

-`ˏ Bridget ϟ (bridgetandbooks) | 2 comments Ah darn, my sister got me One Dark Throne for my birthday but I’ve already read it!!

message 8: by Shaina (last edited Oct 21, 2017 02:03PM) (new)

Shaina (shainlockholmes) I have to think about this but what a good idea. Do books that I buy with gift cards for my bday count?

message 9: by Ryann (new)

Ryann Crofoot (rcrofoot) | 4 comments My friend bought me Rebel of the Sands as a birthday present of sorts. That was back in February and terrible friend that I am I still haven't read it! This seems like a great reason to finally get into it!

message 10: by Vishal (new)

Vishal Mathad Cat, I turned 30 last month, so I think you can feel better now ;)
I haven't been given a book for my birthday (usually I'm the one who suggests books to others..) so what do I do Zuky??

message 11: by Katherine (new)

Katherine  | 24 comments Vishal wrote: "Cat, I turned 30 last month, so I think you can feel better now ;)
I haven't been given a book for my birthday (usually I'm the one who suggests books to others..) so what do I do Zuky??"

yeah me neither, I'm usually given clothes, cosmetics... that sort of thing

message 12: by Zuky (new)

If you don't feel like you can find a book for the months theme then don't worry! You can always join in at another point. If you have received a gift card and bought books with it, I think that counts!!

message 13: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainlockholmes) Thanks !

Lisa *OwlBeSatReading* (owlbesatreading) Zuky wrote: "THE THEME FOR NOVEMBER IS: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

This theme is open to any kind of book you’ve received from another person, not including the publishers! ..."

So, I'm currently in a quandary about what to read next, I have put up a Twitter poll to help me decide! All 3 possibles were giveaway wins, so they count as from another person 😁 I have 15 hours left to see what destiny Twitter readers decide for me. Will I be reading
The Blind, or The Fourth Monkey, or Hunting Prince Dracula?!
All sound awesome, so I don't mind the outcome. At the mo, 4MK and Drac are level pegging....😮

message 15: by Zuky (new)

4MK is a good read! That gets my vote

Lisa *OwlBeSatReading* (owlbesatreading) Zuky wrote: "4MK is a good read! That gets my vote"

I'll use your vote as a decider if needs be then, I certainly can't read two at a time, how some people do that I'll never know!

message 17: by Shaina (last edited Oct 22, 2017 11:08AM) (new)

Shaina (shainlockholmes) Good choices, Lisa. They all sound good.
Zuky: HAPPY EARLY BDAY!

message 18: by Cathy (last edited Oct 23, 2017 02:45AM) (new)

Cathy (goodreadscomwhatcathyreadnext) | 40 comments I was lucky enough to win a book in a giveaway run by a fellow blogger recently so I'm going to count that as a gift. It's one I've been wanting to get around to reading for ages - The Summer of Impossible Things by Rowan Coleman - so this will be the perfect excuse.

message 19: by Vishal (new)

Vishal Mathad Katherine wrote: "Vishal wrote: "Cat, I turned 30 last month, so I think you can feel better now ;)
I haven't been given a book for my birthday (usually I'm the one who suggests books to others..) so what do I do Zu..."

Hmm, so I think I'll just consider a book I purchased and treat it like a gift to myself and start!
Currently I am reading The Art of Thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli.

message 20: by Zuky (new)

Shaina wrote: "Good choices, Lisa. They all sound good.
Zuky: HAPPY EARLY BDAY!"

Thank you Shaina!!

message 21: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackiewbu) this is such a great theme! my birthday is on October 29th so I can't wait to see which books I'll be getting and find out what I'll be reading for the month of November haha!

message 22: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (goodreadscomwhatcathyreadnext) | 40 comments Zuky wrote: "THE THEME FOR NOVEMBER IS: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

This theme is open to any kind of book you’ve received from another person, not including the publishers! ..."

Getting ahead of myself a bit but is the idea we post a link to our review once we've read the book we've chosen?

message 23: by Zuky (new)

Cathy wrote: "Zuky wrote: "THE THEME FOR NOVEMBER IS: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

This theme is open to any kind of book you’ve received from another person, not including the..."

Yes, I'll set up a new topic in the month of November called "November reviews" or something like that, and as and when you all review your books, you can leave a link to it in there so we can all find it!

I will also be featuring everyone's reviews in a big master post on my blog (depending on how many people I get joining in I will just take a snippet of each review and then link it to read the whole thing) :-)

message 24: by Zuky (new)

Jackie wrote: "this is such a great theme! my birthday is on October 29th so I can't wait to see which books I'll be getting and find out what I'll be reading for the month of November haha!"

Ooh, how exciting Jackie!! I love birthdays haha :-P

message 25: by Ali (last edited Oct 23, 2017 04:56AM) (new)

Ali (the_sunday_feeling) | 16 comments This is perfect timing really. George at FuelTheBlog got me a couple of books for my birthday in January and one of them was Hide and Seek by M.J Arlidge.

I have just recently caught up on the series and the next book is Hide and Seek so I am more than excited to pick it up in November!

Thanks George!

message 26: by Lara (new)

Lara Kareem (larakareem) | 5 comments Cat wrote: "My birthday was three days ago (I turned 20... yikes) and my mom got me books as a gift, one of them being "Carry On" by Rainbow Rowell.
Rainbow Rowell is one of my favourite authors..."

Awww, happy birthday! and apparently Carry On is a great book, I mean I loved the idea of it in Fangirl, I've been meaning to read it since it's the only book of hers left for me to read, but I've not had time.

message 27: by Lily (new)

Lily I was gifted A Great and Terrible Beauty years ago and it still sits on my tbr shelf... sounds like a perfect time to finally read it!

Inside My Library Mind (insidemylibrarymind) | 11 comments A lot of books I get are actually gifts, so I have a lot of options. I think I am gonna go with The Brands of Mourning by Sanderson, since I started it ages ago, and need to finally finish it!

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate A (kate_everywhere) | 7 comments What a good idea, hhhmmmm it's a tough decision though, I think I might choose The Diabolic by S.J Kincaid :)

Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts (bookmarkyourthoughts) | 20 comments Inside My Library Mind wrote: "A lot of books I get are actually gifts, so I have a lot of options. I think I am gonna go with The Brands of Mourning by Sanderson, since I started it ages ago, and need to finally finish it!"

Oooo what a good book choice. I actually don't get books too often as gifts; only from my friend Steve. My one friend now works at Chapters though so she said all my Christmas and Birthday gifts will be from there and Starbucks now (LOVE).

message 31: by Quirkyreader (last edited Oct 27, 2017 01:53PM) (new)

Quirkyreader | 16 comments The book that I have read for this challenge is Louisa the Poisoner Louisa the Poisoner by Tanith Lee .

It was given to me by a creepy older gentleman who I think was up nefarious things. Luckily nothing happened to me. But when I saw him I tried to hide and give him a wide berth. So be careful at conventions.

Misty's Book Space (mistysbookspace) My birthday is in December and I usually don't get books for my birthday unless I buy them myself. Back in April a blogger friend of mine offered to send me a couple of books she was getting rid of and to my surprise she sent all 4 of the books I was wanting. One if the books I can't read right now because it's part of a trilogy I haven't started yet. I'm not sure which of the remaining 3 I will read but the ones I have to choose from are November 9 by Colleen Hoover, Holding Up The Universe by Jennifer Niven, and Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell. Which of the 3 do y'all think I should pick?

message 33: by Lily (new)

Lily Misty wrote: "My birthday is in December and I usually don't get books for my birthday unless I buy them myself. Back in April a blogger friend of mine offered to send me a couple of books she was getting rid of..."

I remember enjoying Eleanor and Park a lot!

message 34: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainlockholmes) Okay then, so my read for this is "In A Cottage in a Wood" by Cass Green.

Misty's Book Space (mistysbookspace) Lily wrote: "Misty wrote: "My birthday is in December and I usually don't get books for my birthday unless I buy them myself. Back in April a blogger friend of mine offered to send me a couple of books she was ..."

I ended up picking November 9 by Colleen Hoover. I've been wanting to read her books for a while so I figured this was as good a time as any.

message 36: by Erin (new)

Erin I'm going to read Ann Rule's Small Sacrifices. I received this book as a gift from my sister.

Added bonus this book counts towards a reading challenge in another group I'm in(Read a book you got for free)

message 37: by Emelia (new)

Emelia  | 1 comments My Birthday was in August and I was given H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction ....we were born on the same day lol.

message 38: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainlockholmes) Emelia wrote: "My Birthday was in August and I was given H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction ....we were born on the same day lol."
I love that book. Quite an undertaking. Also an awesome gift. It is from b&n?

message 39: by Corinna (new)

Corinna Hello everybody! I am Going to read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, which was gifted to me by my sister.

message 40: by Emmie (new)

Emmie (bookswithemmie) | 3 comments I am going to finish Vicious since one of my best friends gifted it to me :D

message 41: by Jenny (new)

Jenny I have started Reading The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do
My husband bought it for my Birthday in March!

message 42: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Chinnici (nicole-chinnici) | 14 comments This theme worked out perfectly with the plans I already had to read The Chemist, by Stephenie Meyer, which my best friend got me for my birthday back in February! :-)

message 43: by Magical_Bookworm (new)

Magical_Bookworm | 26 comments My mom just got me If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan. So I'll be reading that sometime this month.

message 44: by Vikki (new)

Vikki P (meandmymundanelife) | 8 comments My parents gifted me a copy of King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard for my birthday (in June) and I've been meaning to get to it for ages! I think I'll read that this month :)

message 45: by Zuky (new)

I'm so glad to see so many people are joining in!! Happy reading everyone ❤️

message 46: by Callum (new)

Callum McLaughlin | 11 comments Hey, everyone. I've picked War Horse by Michael Morpurgo. I got tickets to see the live stage show and was kindly gifted the book after I mentioned I wanted to read it before going, so now feels like the perfect excuse to pick it up :)

message 47: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Loop | 7 comments Happy birthday! Oh boy.. I just started 2 new books and im already reading like idk 10 books... hmm I'll either be reading parts of my art of District 9 (movie art book I got for christmas from my parents) or heck a book i got from a ex that happens to be a childs book of Who Framed Roger Rabbit Make The World Laugh (I really love that movie and saw my then boyfriend have something based on that movie i begged for it). Most likely the latter.. sorry its a bit of a copout pick i feel. But unlike the disrict 9 art book I dont think I've read the Roger Rabbit book yet.

message 48: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Loop | 7 comments People don't gift me books very often I feel. My tastes of what I like let alone books range and I have a tendency to rant, rave and throw books (that I bought only no borrowed, given, or library ones) that I hate or see as terrible. So I guess no one wants to be that one that gives me a crapper. Even though people think its hilarious to see how worked up I get and what I have to say about said books.

message 49: by adik (new)

adik miftakhur (adikmiftakhur) | 1 comments Zuky wrote: "THE THEME FOR NOVEMBER IS: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

when is exactly your birthday?? I'm going to turn 21 as well this November. wohooo!!

message 50: by Katherine (new)

Katherine  | 24 comments I'm almost done with the Leopard by Jo Nesbo. This is the third book of his that I am reading and I am convinced that he is one of the worlds best criminal authors to ever live.

« previous 1