Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Last Colony [May 10, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3540 comments Mod
Buddy Read Starts 10th May.

message 2: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments in

message 3: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15704 comments Me too...

message 4: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Me three.

message 5: by idiffer (new)

idiffer | 765 comments I urge you to choose wisely between this and the 4th book, which is the same story but from the perspective of the daughter of the MC's. I read the daughter version, and won't bother with this one.

message 6: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments Well, I am going to read the whole series and then rate each instalment accordingly. ^^

I am starting a bit earlier because I have many simultaneous buddy reads starting on May 10 and I don't want to get clogged.

message 7: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments I am up to chapter 9. General spoilers:

(view spoiler)

All in all, a 3-star read going quickly down.

message 8: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2631 comments Mayim wrote: "I am up to chapter 9. General spoilers..."

That doesn't sound promising.

message 9: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Just started.

@Mayim his conversation with Chengelpet brothers :)))))

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments how is it compared to the first two books?

message 11: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments The worst.
Glad to know the series picks up after. I still have the rest unread :(

message 12: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15704 comments I'm about half done... (view spoiler)

message 13: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments You might be right. At the moment I'm really not that interested in her tale.

message 14: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Why did we abandon this thread?
We all read the book before the scheduled time and this thread is all silent now. :)

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Haven’t started yet. Still about halfway of the current book that I’m reading. So I’ll probably start on Monday.

message 16: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Just started. Already on Chapter 3

Much stronger beginning than the Ghost Brigades. John Perry is such an awesome character. (view spoiler).

Colonial Union /CDF
(view spoiler)

message 17: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Starting Chapter 12

Colonial Union
(view spoiler)

message 18: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Barry wrote: "Starting Chapter 12

Colonial Union
[spoilers removed]"

Well someone doesn't care about the consequences of their actions..

message 19: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2631 comments I'm not seeing that anyone rated this book yet. Was it so bad you all DNF? I just picked up a used copy today so will likely read it sometime this summer but I have...concerns.

message 20: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15704 comments Don't be... I read the book... it was alright... first book in series was still the best for me... I'm just 100 books behind on rating/reviewing things... I have ratings in the competition spreadsheet in the meantime...

message 21: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments I am still up to discuss the next books in the series as well.

message 22: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2631 comments Alrighty. Going to see if I can work it into my June or July reading.

message 23: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments Narilka wrote: "I'm not seeing that anyone rated this book yet. Was it so bad you all DNF? I just picked up a used copy today so will likely read it sometime this summer but I have...concerns."

I did. I didn't like it very much though.

message 24: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments July pleaseeeee

message 25: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2631 comments @Beste Any preference for when in July? We can do a delayed BR and just add to this thread :)

message 26: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Hmm ... if you guys wanna continue, should we skip the 4th book, because it’s basically telling the same event only from a different POV?

message 27: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2892 comments Barry wrote: "Hmm ... if you guys wanna continue, should we skip the 4th book, because it’s basically telling the same event only from a different POV?"

I was thinking the same (that I don't think I can stand the retelling)

message 28: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I might join the 5th book, although it’s not a top priority for me. The series, unfortunately is going downhill for me.

message 29: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments I forgot what happened here so I am still going to read Zoe's Tale. But maybe later in September. This series is also not a priority for now.

message 30: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15704 comments I was planning to stick it out and continue with the monthly schedule (and not skip Zoe), but whatever you guys plan is fine...

message 31: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Iain wrote: "I was planning to stick it out and continue with the monthly schedule (and not skip Zoe), but whatever you guys plan is fine..."

I'm in for Zoe as well.

message 32: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15704 comments I requested the last 3 books for June/July/August 10th... so anyone reading Zoe's Tale can join us soon, and the rest can re-join in July, I guess...

message 33: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I’ll probably join the 5th book. thanks Iain

message 34: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1814 comments On a lighter note, I am about to call "John Perry" supervisor of one of the Town's within my County that I work as an Urban Planner. He didn't send me a new solar energy law for the Town to review!

message 35: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2631 comments I am finally giving this a go and starting tonight. I have a hunch this is will be where I end the series.

message 36: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2631 comments Up to Chapter 4. So far, so good. It's nice having John Perry and his sense of humor back.

message 37: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2631 comments I finally finished. It was enjoyable enough but also easy to put down. I'm mildly curious about Zoe's tale (view spoiler) but not enough to go buy the book. I'll probably just look up spoilers to see.

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Lol ... yeah, you can save those $21 and go buy something else. I gave up after the 5th book; although, I didn't read Zoe's tale. John Perry, Zoe and Jane are probably the only good things from the series.