Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1)
This topic is about Old Man's War
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Old Man's War [Mar 10, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Oct 19, 2017 04:11PM) (new) - added it

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
New Buddy Read starts March 10th (date may change)

I've set up a buddy read for the first 3 books and then let's see how the group is going as to whether we want to continue :-).

message 2: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Fortunately I have space here and I want to improve my sci fi arsenal also I heard a lot about this book and it seems the previous readers enjoyed it so it should be interesting

Timelord Iain | 14690 comments I was planning to read this anyway... whether or not it won the January book club slot... so I'm in... even tho I'm double booking myself with Long Price Quartet I think... I'll manage...

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Spot!

Hacen | 881 comments I'm in 😊

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7564 comments I'm in! :)

message 7: by Sara J. (new) - added it

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments First three books sitting on my TBR for too long - so I am in for this!

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments tentatively interested, unsure b/c of the sci-fi factor

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments @ Mayim : the sci-fi here isn’t hard sci-fi. I’ve read a couple of Scalzis books, and to me they’re written as more fun sci-fi rather than pure hard sci-fi. So, I don’t think there’s a lot of mind-boggling sci-fi concepts that are central to the plot. It’s a fun little book. I really enjoyed the humor in this book. I think a lot of people would enjoy it too (shout out to the Drill Master Sergeant Ruiz! 🤣)

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments Thanks Barry. I acquired a copy just in case. We will see how busy March will be for me.

message 11: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) In for this one

message 12: by Lena (new)

Lena This is tempting. I had issues with The Forever War and would like to compare.

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments The Forever War is by a different author is it not?

message 14: by Lena (new)

Lena It is but they are said to be similar. Scalzi did the intro to my copy addressing this vaguely.

message 15: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Barry wrote: "The Forever War is by a different author is it not?"

Yeah thats Joe Haldeman

message 16: by jess (last edited Mar 02, 2018 09:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1711 comments I’m in! Library has my copy ready!

message 17: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1711 comments Pg68’s comment on the Cubs made me laugh! This was published in 2007.

Timelord Iain | 14690 comments Jess wrote: "Pg68’s comment on the Cubs made me laugh! This was published in 2007."

That was the year of the White Sox's big win, right?... I remember the campus riots... idiots played the game on a projector on the side of a dorm building... got out of control... so many light poles torn down... couple arrests when they broke onto the football field and tried to tear down the goalpost...

I'll be starting this in the next few days...

message 19: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1711 comments Man I feel like, im Ch 8, (view spoiler)

message 20: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1711 comments These spoilers are from Ch 13 (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7564 comments I'll probably be a little late to this as I'm already in the middle of 4 books. 🙈 I can't handle it! 😂

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments I'll be late to the party.

message 23: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Starting now.

Timelord Iain | 14690 comments Me too, Arkadeb.

Leo sounds delightful.................

message 25: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Iain wrote: "Me too, Arkadeb.

Leo sounds delightful................."

Made a lot of headway - finished Part 1

So this part is mostly world-building but what I found interesting was

(view spoiler)

Hacen | 881 comments Started today

message 27: by Timelord Iain (last edited Mar 11, 2018 08:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 14690 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Iain wrote: "Me too, Arkadeb.

So this part is mostly world-building but what I found interesting was

[spoilers removed]..."

This seems like a book/series that doesn't get bogged down in the science... (view spoiler)

I'm approaching the end now, and liked the pace/voice... I read Monster Hunter International a few years ago and couldn't handle all the machismo, gun talk, and over-the-top narration... I read A Soldier's Duty last year and my only complaint was the excessive gun details in boot camp... this didn't have any of that...

Speaking of towards the end of the book, I got to around 60% and the talk of the multiverse and started to wonder around 66% if (view spoiler)

Knowing the names of the books in this series is a bit of a spoiler... (view spoiler)

I've liked this so far... quick and fun... some humor... even if some results are convenient (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14690 comments I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out why MHI wasn't creating a book link there... even joined the Goodreads Feedback group... but I couldn't replicate... then I saw

"[spoilers re..." in the reply quote section and saw my problem... there was an open bracket... it's always the most innocuous things...

message 29: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1711 comments Iain wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "Iain wrote: "Me too, Arkadeb.

So this part is mostly world-building but what I found interesting w..."

Yea I also felt like some of the events were crafted too well. Read only if you’ve finished(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14690 comments Getting to be green-skinned... seems right up Silvana's alley :D... and I see she participated in the last Buddy Read, so she already knows...

message 31: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Finished. Overall I quite liked it. Well-written, compact and raises some interesting questions which can pull the reader onto the sequels.

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Jess wrote: "Iain wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "Iain wrote: "Me too, Arkadeb.

So this part is mostly world-building but what I found ..."

(view spoiler)

Hacen | 881 comments @35% I'm enjoying the humor in this

message 34: by Siobhan (last edited Mar 15, 2018 04:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7564 comments Read the first 3 chapters, really enjoying the style so far. Enjoying meeting the characters!

Is it bad (view spoiler)

Hacen | 881 comments Siobhan wrote: "Read the first 3 chapters, really enjoying the style so far. Enjoying meeting the characters!

Is it bad [spoilers removed]"

😂

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7564 comments Hacen wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Read the first 3 chapters, really enjoying the style so far. Enjoying meeting the characters!

😂"

Hehe glad you're with me, Hacen. XD

I'm really liking the humour in this too.

End of part one/chapter 6 (view spoiler)

message 37: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6920 comments Mod
Lord save me from old man jokes lol. (I laughed at all of them, of course). XD

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7564 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Lord save me from old man jokes lol. (I laughed at all of them, of course). XD"

Hehe gotta love the grandad jokes xD

Hacen | 881 comments Siobhan wrote: "Hacen wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Read the first 3 chapters, really enjoying the style so far. Enjoying meeting the characters!

😂"

Hehe glad you're with me, Hacen. XD..."

I was cracking up at "Hey Satan"

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7564 comments Hacen wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Hacen wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Read the first 3 chapters, really enjoying the style so far. Enjoying meeting the characters!

😂"

Hehe glad you're wi..."

Yo, Bitch! 😂😂

Hacen | 881 comments Siobhan wrote: "Hacen wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Hacen wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Read the first 3 chapters, really enjoying the style so far. Enjoying meeting the characters!

😂"

Hehe ..."

YES! 🤣

Hacen | 881 comments Finished! I give it 3.5 stars. I loved the humor and it was nice having a light and easy sci-fi read 😁

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I’m just hoping the sequel(s) are as funny as this one. I thought Scalzi has set the bar pretty high with the humor in this one.

Victor *I was in the pool!* | 41 comments I'm surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did. I'm not much of a sci-fi fan (at least I don't think I am) and I found the cover intimidating but the premise was interesting. I liked the author's writing, not too heavy, at least for this book.

Looking forward to the next one 😀

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7564 comments Chapter 14. I'm so soft... (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7564 comments Finished! I really enjoyed this! It was funny at times and sad at others, which I think worked well together overall. I'll definitely continue the series.

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments I just started this and whoa! By the time I noticed I finished the first part. It is a fantastic read and renewed my faith in a Sci-fi after the Children of time letdown.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7564 comments Ooh glad you're enjoying it! :)

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments So much! I love the dry wit. And the fact that it's really light in the scifi department helps too. I think that if it keeps up I'll be finished by tomorrow.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7564 comments That's exactly what I loved about it! I've decided I'm not really a sci-fi fan, I'm a space opera fan.

« previous 1