Play Book Tag discussion

The Night the Lights Went Out
This topic is about The Night the Lights Went Out
Archive: Other Books > The night the Lights Went Out by Karen White. 3 stars?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8285 comments Definitely a hot chocolate read. Some books I've determined aren't masterpieces - they are just a cozy read in between more stimulating or literary works. Not a not to be missed by any stretch. Not even really as good as a solid three. More of a 2.9. But I enjoyed it for what it was. Its a little less fun when the hidden secrets are clear from the start, and you have to watch the characters naively wandering around not seeing the obvious. I like to have a little surprise in there. However, the characters were fun. Marilee was a little helpless and ditzy, and sort of too good and trusting. Sugar was just great fun, irascible and racy for a 93 year old woman, and it was her story that "made" the book. Learning about her past, and unraveling her secrets. This book had a definite Big Little Lies feel to it, except the setting was the South, in a small town called Sweet Apple, with a mysterious (you've got to be kidding me - no mystery there) blogger recounting the events. There was a "perfection" mother and couple, and the divorcee/single mom who moves into town, and the need to fit in with all the gossip, and of course a lovely little murder at a school function. Guess Who? Yup - it was Big Little Lies-like. I guess that last bit is a spoiler, I'm not generally known for those. But it was the kind of book where all the spoilers are sort of basically laid out for you up front, and then you are just supposed to enjoy the ride anyway. Which I did. For avid readers, a 2.9 or a 3.1 - well that's a job well enough done.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I agree with you. I'm a little more than half way through the book right now. I say solid 2.9 and I agree it feels like Big Little Lies Junior Varsity version. I loved BLL. One of my favorites.

It's a good fun read that you might forget about over time. This is my first Karen White book and I'm not blown away with her writing skills. She adverbed me to death. I never knew there were so many ways to say something. She retorted or he expressed venomously. (not actual examples but you get the idea) The foreshadowing is a bit obvious. I want to say Dun dun duuun after some of the foreshadowing.

The story is interesting and I want to know how it ends. the murder at the party is a bit of a spoiler to me but I'm almost there.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8285 comments Jason, I'm so sorry about the spoiler. I really dislike that I did that. I got so carried away with the parallels that I couldn't help myself and I regret that tremendously.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Amy. No problem. It's okay. Not a huge spoiler. This is just a fun read between more quality and in depth pieces.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8285 comments My feeling precisely.

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5639 comments Amy wrote: "Jason, I'm so sorry about the spoiler. I really dislike that I did that. I got so carried away with the parallels that I couldn't help myself and I regret that tremendously."

Amy did you know that you can hide a spoiler in your comments?
Just above the comment box is a link (some html is ok)
Click on that, and you'll see directions for (view spoiler)

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

message 7: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Amy wrote: "Definitely a hot chocolate read. "

Love this phrase!