Bell Awards for Early Literacy Discussion Group discussion

2018 CLEL Bell Discussion Books: Talk, Round 2

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claire (new)

Claire | 6 comments WELCOME to our discussion rounds for the 2018 CLEL Bell Picture Book Award! Twice a month we will choose one ECRR practice and discuss books that are currently nominated from that category to talk about. These books should support or model one of the five early literacy categories: READ, WRITE, TALK, PLAY or SING.
What do you think about these books? How well do they support the early literacy practices? Where do you see early literacy skills reflected in them? Did you like using this book in storytime or with your own child? What would be a great craft or extension activity to go with this book?
Thanks for joining us!
This week we will be revisiting the Talk category and discuss the following additional titles for the category! What do you think of these titles:

Rutabaga Boo! by Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen

Different? Same! by Heather Tekavec

When's My Birthday? by Julie Fogliano

Love You Too by Alastair Heim

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Sterling | 3 comments I enjoyed both When's My Birthday and Different? Same! a great deal. I love the cadence of When's My Birthday so much. It reminds me of Ruth Krauss and captures they way children think, fell and talk about their birthdays so well. I think it would really encourage parents to be patient, talk about and enjoy the time around that special time for their child.

I think that Different? Same! Offers a unique perspective for parents and children to look at and classify animals that I think people get used to looking at the moving on from. There's a lot to look at in the illustrations and discuss. I think it's a fun book to read with a child in your lap.

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire | 6 comments Thanks for your thoughtful points about those two titles, Stephanie!