Stephen King Fans discussion

The Random - Discussion Threads > Stephen King Universe

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aydan (new)

Aydan Schlaffman | 2 comments What do you think about how all of the Stephen King books are all connected in the same universe?

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt | 193 comments Stanley Wiater published a book on this, The Stephen King Universe. It's very interesting though out of date now. There are definitely some of his books and short stories that have nothing to do with any others, but for the most part SK has managed to keep everything connected without too many hiccups. At some point I'd like to put together a chronological reading list for everything that ties in. If only I had time.

message 3: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments Another good one is by Stephen J. Spignesi called the essential Stephen King... Also outdated but a good book on his work.

message 4: by ElleEm (new)

ElleEm | 260 comments Aydan wrote: "What do you think about how all of the Stephen King books are all connected in the same universe?"

I love it that he does this. I think it speaks to his mastery of writing. Each time I see a connection or recognize and Easter egg it is like a gift or a secret just us constant readers.

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 163 comments Aydan wrote: "What do you think about how all of the Stephen King books are all connected in the same universe?"

Good thought. A lot of them are connected in some way. I think some stand on their own though.

message 6: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments A vast majority of his books are linked, even when it is a very obscure link it is there. I have just watched Carrie and Pet Sematary ad have the Stand and It the mini series to watch. I know SK appears in the Stand and Pet Sematary not sure about the mini series it though.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris S | 7 comments Certainly the Dark Tower has connections in a lot of books. - It has overt links to Salems Lot, The Stand, Hearts in Atlantis, Insomnia, The Eyes of the Dragon and UR

But it appears nearly all of his books have some crossover with the Dark Tower with mentions of a type of fictional Cola or a fictional newspaper

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 163 comments I'm sure I know the book, but I can't think right now. What is UR?

message 9: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4059 comments Tracy wrote: "I'm sure I know the book, but I can't think right now. What is UR?"

Pink e-reader? Kind of mystical, magical, what have you.

message 10: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Oh LOL I thought it was a miss type of IT if you look to the left of each letter in IT you will find UR.

message 11: by Nick (last edited Nov 01, 2017 04:47PM) (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4023 comments Tracy wrote: "I'm sure I know the book, but I can't think right now. What is UR?"

It's a short story (UR) - one King wrote when the Kindle first came out. I think it's based on an early misunderstanding of name URL. He got some heat for writing it as an e-book to promote the sale of e-books. But it's a great story. I think it's reprinted in Bazaar of Bad Dreams. (I'll have to check) Kandice is right the item in question is a pink e-reader that a professor who is against new technology orders and then finds that it allows him access to newspapers from the future... with the usual Stephen King kinds of consequences.

message 12: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 163 comments Lol, sounds good. I'm going to have to look for this one.

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2161 comments Nick wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I'm sure I know the book, but I can't think right now. What is UR?"

It's a short story (UR) - one King wrote when the Kindle first came out. I think it's based on an early misunderst..."

It is in Bazaar of Bad Dreams, I remember reading that story.

message 14: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Now that you mention it, I do remember reading UR so many books floating around in my head right now it is starting to get a bit over crowded