The Gothic Novel Book Club <Hiatus> discussion

Book of the Month > BOTM Nominations November (Classic)

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trinity (new)

Trinity | 803 comments Mod
Nominate here.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane | 11 comments The Beckoning - Virginia Coffman

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina Haigler | 15 comments Diane wrote: "The Beckoning - Virginia Coffman"

Do you mean Moura the first book, or The Beckoning from Moura the second book?

message 4: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 686 comments Mod
Indeed.

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane | 11 comments The Beckoning from Moura, the second book. I've already read the first one. :-)

message 6: by Shaina (new)

Parley J. Cooper's The Devil Child.

message 7: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments I am reading Moura ( the first book) right now.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane | 11 comments Hi, Skye, curious as to what you think of Moura, the first book, when you're finished reading. I loved it. Perfect autumn read with atmosphere and a good story.

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Hi Diane: I read it years ago, but recently began to recollect gothic mysteries from the past. I am loving the first book; I have another Moura, but it isn't the reckoning. I am also collecting Mary Stewart and Victoria Holt books.

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane | 11 comments Cool! I discovered Virginia Coffman by having Moura be mentioned in this group. So happy to have found her! I ordered two more of her books, too. I'll need to check out your other recommendations, as well.

message 11: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Diane, any time. I adore the gothic writers of the past ( and there are so many of them.)

message 12: by Diane (new)

Diane | 11 comments Thanks, Skye!

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments :)

message 14: by Shaina (new)

I love Mary Stewart :)

message 15: by Diane (last edited Oct 22, 2017 06:09AM) (new)

Diane | 11 comments Good morning, ladies! With two of you recommending Mary Stewart, do you have a suggestion as to which one I should start with? Rose Cottage and Touch Not the Cat look intriguing.

message 16: by Skye (last edited Oct 22, 2017 11:36AM) (new)

Skye | 364 comments The Ivy Tree,
This Rough Magic
My Brother Michael
Nine Coaches Waiting,

These are my faves and I have the last one here.

message 17: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments I nominate Moura

message 18: by Shaina (new)

I actually went the other route. I read The Crystal Cave as my very first book or hers. But go with what Skye said. :) unless you like Arthurian legend.

message 19: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments They were the only books by Mary Stewart that did enchant me.

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane | 11 comments I didn't realize how diverse Mary Stewart's writing is. I'm mostly a gothic-dark-brooding-house-with-a-mystery kind of girl. The one that caught my attention from the ones you ladies listed is Nine Coaches Waiting. I appreciate the guidance and thank you for introducing me to this author!

message 21: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Diane, I am thrilled to help out in any way. When I was a young girl, my mother was addicted to anything and everything 'gothic, ' in the modern sense. She belonged to a book club and she selected mostly gothic writers, and then whenever she was out, she picked up paper backs of this genre ( 35 cents a shot).

There are some wonderful 'gothic-type' writers, too: Victoria Holt, Dorothy Eden, Phyllis Whitney, Virginia Coffman, Madeline Brent ( who'[s really a man), Florence Hurd, Jane Aiken, Joan Aiken Hodge, Jennie Melville, Susanna Kearsley, Dorothy Eden, Susan Howatch ( this is just a tiny list of modern-day writers) but we also have the classic Gothic Writers, as well: Daphne DuMuarier, Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, etc.

message 22: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Personally, I adore Thomas Tryon, and some of the wonderful Southern Gothic writers such as Flannery O'Connor.

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane | 11 comments I read The Other by Thomas Tryon years ago. Definitely a creepy read. The movie wasn't bad, either.

By the way, I found a hardback copy of 4 Stewart novels in one, including The Ivy Tree, The Moonspinners, Madam, Will You Talk?, and Nine Coaches Waiting. Looking forward to reading it.

message 24: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Fabulous, Diane.

message 25: by Trinity (new)

Were any of these nominations? I only see one.

message 26: by Trinity (new)

Please open up new threads for discussions. Keep the Nom boards clean. Hard to sift through this to find actual noms.

message 27: by Tina (last edited Oct 24, 2017 08:22PM) (new)

Tina Haigler | 15 comments Trinity wrote: "Were any of these nominations? I only see one."

I believe the nominations are Moura, The Beckoning from Moura, and The Devil Child. The rest were recommendations as far as I can tell. Hope that helps :)

message 28: by Shaina (new)

I put a nom up.

message 29: by Shaina (new)

Oh wait. Tina got it. Thanks Tina !

message 30: by Tina (new)

Tina Haigler | 15 comments Shaina wrote: "Oh wait. Tina got it. Thanks Tina !"

You're welcome :)

message 31: by Trinity (new)

Since we as a group have not read Moura, I will have to nix the reading of the second novel from noms but I will add Moura. We had been doing series reads but it didn't go well. If we read Moura and decide we haven't had enough, I will gladly add it to December's TBR.

message 32: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Where do we vote for classics? I think this is the contemporary vote.

message 33: by Trinity (new)

This is the Classics. These noms are Modern Classics.

message 34: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Ok, and thanks, Trinity!

message 35: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Diane wrote: "I read The Other by Thomas Tryon years ago. Definitely a creepy read. The movie wasn't bad, either

Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon was pretty good, too.

message 36: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments That is a good one, but I would have to order it.