Gone With the Wind Fans discussion

Miscellaneous > Scarlett O'Hara/Becky Sharp

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alc (new)

Alc | 2 comments I have read GWTW at least 15 times and it is still my favorite book. However, I am currently reading Vanity Fair by William Thackery. I was stunned by the similarities between the main female character, Becky Sharp, and Scarlett O'Hara. There are also similarities between Melanie and Amelia, the other female character. I've read that Margaret Mitchell said she didn't read VF until after she wrote GWTW, but the similarities are striking.

message 2: by Nassim (new)

Nassim Nampak | 1 comments This is my favorite book ever...

message 3: by Alc (new)

Alc | 2 comments Nassim wrote: "This is my favorite book ever..."

Mine too. There is also a trilogy by Gwen Bristow (Plantation Trilogy) that is good, but it still doesn't come up to GWTW.

message 4: by David (new)

David Taylor (davidtaylor) | 1 comments Gone With The Wind is one of the greatest books ever written. It is a war novel, a historical romance, a comedy of manners, a bitter lamentation for a lost culture and a shrewd assessment of what would emerge from the ashes of the Old South. Scarlett O'Hara is a bewitching, charming, self-centred creature whose character darkens as age and events take their toll on her. In my opinion, she is one of the greatest literary characters of all time.