Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Cristin's 2018 Quest

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cristin (last edited Aug 31, 2020 02:10PM) (new)

Cristin | 54 comments The 2018 Plan:

I am trying to work in books from several of my ongoing ginormous list challenges where I can, while balancing with more "fun to me" reads. Ginormous list challenges include (in order of priority in terms of which list I want to finish first) "100 key works of Children's Literature" (*), the BBC Big Read (200 book version) ($), The Rory Gillmore Challenge(#), The Guardian's 2009 list of 1000 books everyone must read(@), Boxall's 1001 books you must read before you die(&). Books which appear on several of these lists are marked only with the symbol of the list with highest priority.
I do not plan to read in order.

All titles are tentative until read :P

44 / 52

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
Betsy-Tacy * Finished 10/8/18

2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
Miranda and Caliban Finished 3/29/18

3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards (link)
The Ship of the Dead Finished 12/19/18

4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...)
The Serpent's Shadow Finished 7/2/18

5. A book about or inspired by real events
The Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963 * Finished 8/28/18

6. A book originally written in a language other than English
Les Misérables $

7. A gothic novel
Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus Finished 7/10/18

8. An "own voices" book
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian Finished 3/6/18

9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
The Great Brain * Finished 6/11/18

10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
Ready Player One Finished 7/26/18

11. A literary fiction
One Hundred Years of Solitude $ Finished 9/21/18

12. A book set in Africa or South America
The Poisonwood Bible $ Finished 7/16/18

13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc)
The Templar Legacy finished 11/13/18

14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
Phoenix and Ashes Finished 10/27/18

15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
Illuminae
Finished 12/16/18

16. A narrative nonfiction
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks Finished 5/29/18

17. A book you expect to make you laugh
Raising Steam Finished 4/22/18

18. A book with a location in the title
The Cricket in Times Square *

19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors)
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America Finished 10/22/18

20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
Radiance Finished 4/24/18

21. A book written in first person perspective
Forever Odd Finished 4/28/18

22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
The Goblin Companion: A Field Guide to Goblins Finished 5/21/18

23. A medical or legal thriller
A Case of Need Finished 1/7/19

24. A book with a map
Heir of Fire Finished 11/7/18

25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
The Gospel of Loki

26. A book with a text only cover
Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions Finished 3/12/18

27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc) The Book Thief Finished 1/9/18

28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
The Gates of Sleep Finished 5/14/18

29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)
Graceling has a dagger - Finished 3/18/18

30. A short book
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing * Finished 12/5/18

31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd Finished 8/5/2020

32. An alternate history book
The Man in the High Castle@ Finished 4/20/18

33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you (link)
Dark Matter Too appropriate since "dark matter" is a word born in my year (1979) Finished 11/21/18

34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (link)
A Graphic Novel - Dream Country Finished 12/29/18

35. A book featuring a murder
Touch Finished 2/7/18

36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
Saving Hamlet

37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee (link1, link2)
Fingersmith @ (2002 nominee) / We Need to Talk About Kevin @ (2005 winner)

38. A science book or a science fiction book
Home Finished 8/31/2020

39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
Guards! Guards! $

40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list (link)
The Little Prince $

41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
The Hundred Dresses * Finished 2/8/18

42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
The Old Man and the Sea @ Finished 3/23/18

43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key * Finished 11/19/18

44. A ghost story
The Turn of the Screw @ Finished 7/18/18

45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
Ulysses $ / Finnegans Wake # / War and Peace $

46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
The Wizard of London Finished 10/19/18

47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
Ninefox Gambit Finished 1/23/18

48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)
The Chocolate Touch * Very appropriate for greed. Finished 7/25/18

49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists (link)
I Am Not A Serial Killer from April of 2010 list Finished 10/23/18

50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)
This One Summer Finished 7/29/18

51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
War Dances - won the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction 2010 Finished 12/25/18

52. A book published in 2018
Before the Storm Finished 8/28/18

message 2: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Interesting list.
Good luck with Les Misérables, it's a doorstop, I liked the beginning but I'm not a big fan of the rest :)

PeekingLlama - Laura | 19 comments Hi Cristin, is there a master list for the "100 key works of Children's Literature". It sounds like a interesting list of books to explore.

message 4: by Cristin (last edited Nov 01, 2017 06:16AM) (new)

Cristin | 54 comments PeekingLlama - Laura wrote: "Hi Cristin, is there a master list for the "100 key works of Children's Literature". It sounds like a interesting list of books to explore."

There is a master list, and I when I found it 2 years ago, I put it into an Excel spreadsheet so I could track it, and now I cannot find the original place I found it on the internet. I've found several other lists that are similar, but not the exact one I am working with. I will try to poke around for another day or so to see if I can find where I got my original list from. If I don't find it, and you are still interested, I can copy/paste post it here.

message 5: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 714 comments Thanks Cristin. I'd also love to see it.

message 6: by Cristin (new)

Cristin | 54 comments So, couldn't find the internet site where I first got the list for the 100 Key works of Children's Literature, so I made a GoogleSheet for any who were/are interested. There is no particular order to it, I just sorted it by author first name.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 7: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I'm borrowing your list Cristin :)

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2219 comments Wow, Cristin. I'm borrowing the list too. Thanks!

message 9: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 714 comments Cristin wrote: "So, couldn't find the internet site where I first got the list for the 100 Key works of Children's Literature, so I made a GoogleSheet for any who were/are interested. There is no particular order ..."

Thanks Cristin! I thought I knew children's lit pretty well -- but I haven't heard of about 20% of these. It will be fun to find them.

message 10: by MJ (new)

MJ | 676 comments I loved War and Peace. I was actually sad when it was over.
And I read (and enjoyed) Miranda and Caliban this year.

I think I've given up on the Rory Gilmore list. It just got to be too much!! Good luck!

message 11: by Cristin (new)

Cristin | 54 comments So, I'm 4 weeks in to the challenge, with 2 books read (for this challenge, not total), and neither of them were in the original plan. I read and slotted The Book Thief as my "book about surviving a hardship", in this case, war, instead of Island of the Blue Dolphins, since one of my other groups was doing it as a book of the month. Another group was reading Ninefox Gambit, so I read it and am using it in place of Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry as my book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own. Yoon Ha Lee, the author of Ninefox, is of South Korean descent and (per Wikipedia) a trans man who identifies as queer, so I'd say that is sufficiently different form my white cis hetero self.

Thoughts on the books:

The Book Thief:
WW2 and Holocaust books tend to be difficult reads for me. Despite this, I enjoyed the book for its prose, the unusual choice of narrator, and the view of the war from a lower class German teen. It was much easier to get through than Night, but still provided a good deal to reflect upon.

Ninefox Gambit:
The world Yoon has built is complex and interesting, and you get dropped into it with little to no explanations of how things work. It reminded me a bit of reading Dune when I was younger, but without the little chapter front pieces from in-world documents to help you understand the structure behind it all. When I stopped trying to understand how it all worked, and just accepted that it did, the going got much easier and overall I enjoyed it enough to add the next book in the series to my TBR.