Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > Scary October: what movies have you got planned?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eva (new)

Eva (bookworm_eve) I am social worker with young adults and today I was talking to one of them who is a big fan of good horrormovies. He asked me, since it's Halloween and all, what movies I wanted to see the upcoming weeks. I told him that A) I am scared shitless when I watch a horrormovie and B) I don't really know any good horrormovies.

In the Netherlands, where I come from, we don't celebrate Halloween like they do in, for example, America. But I thought, why not get in the mood?!

So he "ordered" me to watch 4 movies that he thinks are one of the better ones and when I did, I'd have to report back. Fun!

So, I am planning on watching:

1) The Fly (1986)
2) The Thing (1982)
3) The Excorcist III (1990)
4) The Witch (2015)

Even thinking about it gives me the creeps, but I'll do it! At least I am going to try :p

Do you have any movieplans? Or recommendations? :)

message 2: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I also recommend the original version of The Fly as well The Exorcist! Rosemary's Baby, The Abominable Dr. Phibes (if you're needing a laugh), The Shining, Cabin In the Woods, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Shining, Amityville Horror (original).

I'm going to see Happy Death Day and have a slew of movies recorded on the DVR. Nosferatu is up next.

message 3: by Kieron (new)

Kieron Obviously the original Halloween movie is a definite must watch for Halloween. Also check out Trick r Treat another Halloween based horror. Most recently I enjoyed It Follows. 🎃

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments American Werewolf in London. Some old Vincent Price Films, Maybe some Hammer films

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments House of Wax(The original with Vincent Price)
House of Wax(newer version)
Vincent Price Edgar Allan Poe films
Halloween(Rob Zombie version)
House of 1,000 Corpses
Universal Horror films

message 6: by Eva (new)

Eva (bookworm_eve) Kieron wrote: "Obviously the original Halloween movie is a definite must watch for Halloween. Also check out Trick r Treat another Halloween based horror. Most recently I enjoyed It Follows. 🎃"

It Follows is on my list as well. I like the idea of "something" following you, but not knowing what it is.... sounds so creepy!

Bark's Book Nonsense wrote: "I also recommend the original version of The Fly as well The Exorcist! Rosemary's Baby, The Abominable Dr. Phibes (if you're needing a laugh), The Shining, Cabin In the Woods, Texas Chainsaw Massac..."

Ow Rosemary's Baby is one that has always intrigued me. Maybe I'll watch that one as well :)

I've seen The Shining multiple times, love it. TCM freaked me out :p But enjoyed it as well!

message 7: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1639 comments I plan to watch Train to Busan again.

message 8: by Eva (new)

Eva (bookworm_eve) Randy wrote: "I plan to watch Train to Busan again."

That looks awesome! I love Korean movies in general. Putting it on my watchlist! :)

message 9: by Gianfranco (new)

Gianfranco Mancini | 541 comments Holydays
Tales of Halloween
Halloween Night
John Carpenter's Halloween
Rob Zombie's 31

And Train to Busan (not All Hallows Eve themed like the previous ones but it is an awesome zombie movie :D)

message 10: by Bryndís (last edited Oct 20, 2017 06:43AM) (new)

Bryndís | 429 comments Eva wrote: "Randy wrote: "I plan to watch Train to Busan again."

That looks awesome! I love Korean movies in general. Putting it on my watchlist! :)"

Train to Busan IS awesome!! Never been so scared and sad at the same time! Watch it!

Also, I've asked this question here before, so maybe you'll pick up some good ones here.. ;-)
I did! (haven't watched them all yet)

message 11: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2473 comments Come watch Trick’r’Treat with us tonight at 7PM EST!!!
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments Love The Shining I watch it every time I see it on. Also I need to check out 31 by Rob Zombie

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7417 comments Eva wrote: "Randy wrote: "I plan to watch Train to Busan again."

That looks awesome! I love Korean movies in general. Putting it on my watchlist! :)"

It's a great movie, I think you'll like it.

message 14: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Archer | 36 comments Eva wrote: "So he "ordered" me to watch 4 movies that he thinks are one of the better ones and when I did, I'd have to report back.."

I'd suggest something a little tamer to break in gently.

1. Gremlins
2. Shaun of the Dead
3. The Blob (1958, the remake was just stupid)
4. Ok The Fly (1986), he got one right.

If you're going for The Exorcist, the original would be better.

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 332 comments "Frankenstein and The Monster From Hell"
"Satanic Rites of Dracula"
"The Legend of The Seven Golden Vampire" (I always need my Hammer "fix" this time of year!)
Then, Tonight
"House On Haunted Hill"
"Island of Lost Souls"
and(of course) Carpenter's "Halloween"
And, the icing on the cake, "The Return of the Vampire' (my favorite Lugosi.)
Perhaps Burton's "Ed Wood"

message 16: by Irfken (new)

Irfken There are a few films I am planning to watch but my plans usually go awry so everything's tentative. I hope I get to see these since I've been really meaning to.

1) Halloween III
2) The Halloween Tree (definitely not scary but more nostalgic)
3) Sleepy Hollow
4) Ouija: Origin of Evil
5) The Fog (1980)
6) An American Werewolf in London (re-watch)

My recommendation would be The Others because it's unsettling, creepy and heartbreaking. Another one that's terrifying and a weepie in equal measure is The Orphanage (2007). If you want something that's slightly tamer, I'd suggest The Witches (1990). It's a creepy and rollicking good time.

message 17: by Eva (new)

Eva (bookworm_eve) Aaron wrote: "Eva wrote: "So he "ordered" me to watch 4 movies that he thinks are one of the better ones and when I did, I'd have to report back.."

I'd suggest something a little tamer to break in gently.

1. G..."

Thanks! I've seen The Excorcist and liked it. He recommended me #3, because he thought #2 was the worst.

Irfken wrote: "There are a few films I am planning to watch but my plans usually go awry so everything's tentative. I hope I get to see these since I've been really meaning to.

1) Halloween III
2) The Halloween ..."

I've seen The Others a long long time ago. I never saw that ending coming, freaked me out :p

Bryndís wrote: "Eva wrote: "Randy wrote: "I plan to watch Train to Busan again."

Train to Busan IS awesome!! Never been so sca..."

Thanks! I'll check it out! :)

message 18: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3668 comments I have been watching all kinds of horror movies since the beginning of October. I have a horror movie tradition where I watch horror movies all month long in October.

Movies watched so far:

Friday the 13th
Trick 'R Treat
Final Destination
The Amityville Horror (original movie)
It (original movie)
Jeepers Creepers
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D
The Hills Have Eyes (original movie)
Joyride and Joyride 2
Carrie
Firestarter
100 Feet
Dracula (with Bela Lugosi - original)
Lake Placid
The Car (this is a good creepy movie with James Brolin)

Movies planned to watch to finish out the rest of October:

Halloween
House of Wax (remake)
Christine
Dream Catcher
Insidious
Rose Red
Storm of the Century
The Mummy (the one with Brendan Frasier - not Tom Cruise)
Final Destination 2 through 5
Friday the 13th (2 through 4)
And whatever else I can find to watch on tv. lol

message 19: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 772 comments I don't watch a lot of movies but it's become something of a tradition to watch the truly terrible The Wolfman (starring Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins) on Halloween.

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul (subpaul) | 8 comments IMO, the best horror movie for a first horror movie is Something Wicked This Way Comes. kinda scary but not really

message 21: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1639 comments I'm surprised no one has mentioned Phantasm. I was fascinated with that one when it first came out. Still not sure what was what. :(

message 22: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3214 comments Mod
Krystal wrote: "I don't watch a lot of movies but it's become something of a tradition to watch the truly terrible The Wolfman (starring Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins) on Halloween."

Yeah, it's bad but it has great atmosphere to it. Perfect scenes for Halloween, just a shame the story was so badly done.

message 23: by WendyB (new)

Anyone ever heard of a comedy, musical, vampire movie called Suck? Very funny, catchy music and it has Iggy Pop, Alice Cooper, and Alex Lifeson acting in it among others.

message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7417 comments WendyB wrote: "Anyone ever heard of a comedy, musical, vampire movie called Suck? Very funny, catchy music and it has Iggy Pop, Alice Cooper, and Alex Lifeson acting in it among others."

I haven't heard of that one.

message 25: by Gianfranco (new)

Gianfranco Mancini | 541 comments WendyB wrote: "Anyone ever heard of a comedy, musical, vampire movie called Suck? Very funny, catchy music and it has Iggy Pop, Alice Cooper, and Alex Lifeson acting in it among others."

Love that movie!
It literally rocks and the young Malcolm McDowell flashback was just awesome! XD

message 26: by WendyB (new)

Gianfranco wrote: "WendyB wrote: "Anyone ever heard of a comedy, musical, vampire movie called Suck? Very funny, catchy music and it has Iggy Pop, Alice Cooper, and Alex Lifeson acting in it among others."

Love tha..."

Yay! Another fan!

message 27: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1639 comments TubiTV has added 600 horror movies for Halloween:

http://www.cordcuttersnews.com/tubi-a...

They do show commercials. Watching Day of the Triffids at the moment. :)

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7417 comments Randy wrote: "TubiTV has added 600 horror movies for Halloween:

http://www.cordcuttersnews.com/tubi-a...

They do show commercials. Watching Day of the Triffids at t..."

That's awesome, I need to get that.