Play Book Tag discussion

Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books
This topic is about Reading Lolita in Tehran
October 2017: Society > Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1432 comments Azar Nafisi decides to hold a class for 8 women in her house after quitting her job teaching literature in the university. The books selected were all banned by the government of Iran. I liked learning more about the history of Iran and what is like in Iran with morality squads and so many things banned. I also liked learning some about her students lives, though occasionally I couldn't keep the students straight. I didn't care about all the dissection of the books themselves. I also didn't like the fact that the book was told in a nonlinear fashion so it was harder to determine the order in which some events occurred.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I read this book many years ago. I don't remember much about it but I think I liked it. It was before I kept track of my reviews.

LibraryCin | 8040 comments I think I felt similarly to how you did, Rachel. I'm going on memory, though, as it's been a few years!

message 4: by JoLene (new) - added it

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I've tried to read this a couple of times but couldn't get through it.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5549 comments One of my F2F book groups read this several years ago. The very next day my other F2F book group discussed The Hemingway Book Club of Kosovo .... I preferred the latter.