Coffee & Books discussion

Member Board > Books Around the World

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (new)

Joy | 110 comments I've realised that I've been reading a lot of Irish authors and want to branch out. What are your favourite books or authors from your own countries? Might help me complete my Around the World challenge too!

I'm Irish and a top writer for me is Oscar Wilde.Two of my favourite historical fiction books about Ireland are Strumpet City by James Plunkett and Tread Softly on my Dreams by Gretta Curran Browne.

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1249 comments From the USA - John Steinbeck and Kent Haruf are perrenial favorites of mine.

From MEXICO - Laura Esquivel

message 3: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tanya23510) | 24 comments I used to love Nicholas Sparks books, which are mostly based in North Carolina, in USA.

Also, biographies are a great way of reading of different places, as they will often talk about the person's hometown, etc.

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 241 comments What type of books do you like?

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim Townsend | 29 comments This is a nearly 10-month-old thread, but in case Joy ever comes back, she may want to check out a number of resources, including The Great American Read, The Great British Read, any number of top book lists, Ben Shapiro's and others' picks on www.bookadvice.co, and any list of award winners.

I've been reading a lot of nonfiction lately, mixed in with a few classics. My boss states that one thing she never sees me reading is romance. My Goodreads profile is public and anyone who wants to can see the books I read.

message 7: by Bookish Hound (new)

Bookish Hound (bookish_hound) | 5 comments From England- Undercover princess and alice in wonderland

message 8: by Rechalena (last edited Jul 04, 2019 12:32AM) (new)

Rechalena (srazlesh) | 2 comments Oscar Wilde is my favourite author too. :)

So... I recommend "Norina Luciano" an English novel by Noha Alaa El-Din..

"It revolves round Norina and how she tried to get her glamour back, but it was not all, it was actually a matter of survival.
She made a detour, she thought she would return stronger, but things didn't go as she wished."
¬ Novel summary from the author's page

My Opinion:
It has many surprises along its timeline.. It also has deep feelings, some philosophical lines, witty dialogues, and touching monologues.. And the chapters have interesting flow with a capturing rhythm and it's to the point.
Such a charming piece of literature!

P.s.: It's a tragedy with sweet sparks of humor..
It's just not easy to judge Norina's character, not that easy!

I read the electronic version of the novel, found it on the author's page "Noha Alaa El-Din" on the Facebook and Twitter.. The link is changeable, I think, and maybe removable sometimes.