Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Mel's Grand 2018 Reading Plan

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (last edited Jan 04, 2019 12:42AM) (new)

Mel | 162 comments The 2018 List
37/52 books completed

√ 1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title = The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza (★★☆)
√ 2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list = Relic (★★)
√ 3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards = Sing, Unburied, Sing (★★★★☆)
√ 4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...) = After the Fall (★★★)
√ 5. A book about or inspired by real events = Human Acts (★★★★)
√ 6. A book originally written in a language other than English = The Vegetarian (★★★★)
7. A gothic novel = Jane Eyre
√ 8. An "own voices" book = Love, Hate & Other Filters (★★★★)
9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc) = Children of Blood and Bone / Blood Water Paint
√ 10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published) Running Out of Time
11. A literary fiction = The Joy Luck Club / The Luminaries / The Color Purple
12. A book set in Africa or South America = Under the Udala Trees / The Lost History of Stars
√ 13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc) = Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy: Four Women Undercover in the Civil War (★★★★)
√ 14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire = Nothing Left to Burn (★★★★)
√ 15. A book with an unique format/writing structure = Jane, Unlimited (★★★★)
16. A narrative nonfiction
√ 17. A book you expect to make you laugh = Adulthood Is a Myth (★★★)
√ 18. A book with a location in the title = American Street
√ 19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author = The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends = Sorry to Disrupt the Peace
√ 21. A book written in first person perspective = The Woman in the Window (★★☆)
√ 22. A book you have high expectations or hope for = Furyborn
√23. A medical or legal thriller = Everywhere That Mary Went (★☆)
24. A book with a map
√ 25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view = Spindle
√ 26. A book with a text only cover = She Caused a Riot: 100 Unknown Women Who Built Cities, Sparked Revolutions, and Massively Crushed It (★★★)
√ 27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc) = The Girl Who Smiled Beads: A Story of War and What Comes After (★★★★☆)
√ 28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water = Lost Lake
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench) = Bury Me Deep / Half-Off Ragnarok / A Gathering of Shadows / No Way to Treat a First Lady / These Ruthless Deeds / A Reaper at the Gates
√ 30. A short book = Binti (★★☆)
√ 31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to = Dark Witch (★★)
32. An alternate history book = The Black God's Drums / That Inevitable Victorian Thing
33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you = Wasting Time on the Internet
√ 34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call | "A book picked off your TBR list by a family member or friend" (close call) = The Hummingbird's Daughter
√ 35. A book featuring a murder = Sadie (★★★★)
√ 36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before = The Poet X (★★★★★)
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee = The Essex Serpent
38. A science book or a science fiction book = Lab Girl
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title = Yes We (Still) Can: Politics in the Age of Obama, Twitter, and Trump (★★★★)
√ 40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list = Interpreter of Maladies (★★★★)
√ 41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials = Heartless (★)
√ 42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater = Lumberjanes, Vol. 5: Band Together
√ 43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence = I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl
√ 44. A ghost story = The Broken Girls
√ 45. A book that intimidates/scares you = Sawkill Girls (★★★★)
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
√ 47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own = Little & Lion (★★★)
√ 48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth) = The Last Mrs. Parrish(★★☆)
√ 49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists = The Belles (★★★★☆)
√ 50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer) = A Handful of Stars (★★★)
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
√ 52. A book published in 2018 = Educated: A Memoir (★★★★)

message 2: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Nice, we have some books in common (Interpreter of Maladies, Out, The Essex Serpent, Between Shades of Gray, Little Fires Everywhere). It's fun to see the same books in various categories, it shows that the list is flexible.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Ooh, Gone with the Wind is a great choice for intimidating book. I read it when I was a teenager and have been wanting to re-read, but I'm totally intimidated by the length.

message 4: by Mel (new)

Mel | 162 comments Zaz wrote: "Nice, we have some books in common (Interpreter of Maladies, Out, The Essex Serpent, Between Shades of Gray, Little Fires Everywhere). It's fun to see the same books in various categories, it shows..."
I agree! I really like next year's list because I can definitely see some spots where I can shift books around on my list if I need to, which is always nice for when new reads come along/something doesn't work out for me. I'm so glad Out fit on my list because I'd meant to read it this year and haven't gotten to it, so finding a category that fit perfectly was a nice surprise. :)

Katie wrote: "Ooh, Gone with the Wind is a great choice for intimidating book. I read it when I was a teenager and have been wanting to re-read, but I'm totally intimidated by the length."
The length is exactly why I picked it for intimidating! I've heard a lot of good about it, but it's so long that I've always been wary about picking it up. I think it'll be a nice challenge. :)

message 5: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Out is good. Shoclking...and it might piss you off, but good.

message 6: by Mel (new)

Mel | 162 comments January Check-In
Books finished: 4/52
√ Week 1: 17. A book you expect to make you laugh = Adulthood Is a Myth (★★★)
I wanted to start off January with something light and humorous, and this didn't disappoint. It was one of those books I've been meaning to get to for a while, but just hadn't yet, and it was a nice, fairly light read that made me chuckle a lot.

√ Week 2: 41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials = Heartless (★)
Heartless was unexpectedly disappointing, which made me sad. I think part of it is I've read so many amazing villain origin stories lately, and this one just didn't hold up for me. For me, Marissa Meyer's major writing weakness is her villains, I think, because I had similiar issues with Levana when I read her Lunar Chronicles series as I did with Cath. Alas, not every book can be a winner.

√ Week 3: 42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater = Lumberjanes, Vol. 5: Band Together (★★★)
Lumberjanes is my go-to light read/palette cleanser to balance out heavier reads. I picked up Volume 5 on my way out of the library and flew through it pretty fast. These characters are still so much fun to me.

√ Week 4: 25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view = Spindle (★★★★)
Spindle was a great follow-up to A Thousand Nights; while I definitely love the first book more, I think the second book was strong as well, with characters I enjoyed following, even if the end felt a bit rushed.

message 7: by Mel (new)

Mel | 162 comments Since being open-ended worked well for February, I think I'm going to try the same for February. If anyone has any suggestions/recommendations, let me know! I'm always glad to bump books up on my TBR list if I hear others have enjoyed them. :) My only real definite read for the month is The Hummingbird's Daughter; I started it back in January and hoped to finish it then, but did not. Hoping to get it done this month!

Possible February Reads :
-Under a Painted Sky: #1 (a book with the letters A, T & Y in the title), #2 (a book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list), #47 (a book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own) or #49 (a book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists)
-The Essex Serpent (provided my hold from Libby comes in this month): #37 (a Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee)
-The Broken Girls: #7 (a Gothic novel) or #52 (a book published in 2018)
-American Street: #10 (an author's debut book), #36 (a book published in the last 3 years by an author you haven't read before) or #47 (a book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own)
-Under the Udala Trees: #12 (a book set in Africa or South America)
-Exit West: #3 (a book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards)
-The City of Brass: #10 (an author's debut book) or #49 (a book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists)