Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Ann's Readathon Residence - October 2017

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments I'll be updating a few other places, but am setting up a home here as well. I know my family and friends think I'm a little weird for getting so excited about this event, but all you wonderful readers "get it"!

message 2: by Ann A (last edited Oct 19, 2017 12:48PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Here's my stack ( I know I won't read them all, but I like to have lots to choose from). The last five books are in honor of the "Most Challenged Books" of 2016. I heard the authors of 'This One Summer' on NPR and made it a priority for this RAT to include several books from the list.

Y is for Yesterday
Appointment with Death
March: Book Three (graphic)
Something New: Tales from a Makeshift Bride (graphic)
Midnight in Austenland
The Sign of the Twisted Candles (I've started adding a Nancy Drew to my stack every readathon, since she made me a life-long mystery lover!)

This One Summer (graphic)
Drama (graphic)
George
Looking for Alaska
I Am Jazz (a picture book)

message 3: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 122 comments That's great that you have such a focused plan on what to add to your TBR list. I run into the problem of adding too much. I do like the idea of adding from a challenged book list, though.

message 4: by Ann A (last edited Oct 19, 2017 12:50PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Shelley wrote: "That's great that you have such a focused plan on what to add to your TBR list. I run into the problem of adding too much. I do like the idea of adding from a challenged book list, though."

I'm usually not quite this focused, but thought I'd do something different this time around :)

message 5: by Ann A (last edited Oct 21, 2017 05:57AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Intro Survey
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Lovely Utah
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Y is for Yesterday
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Popcorn
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I love to read (obviously), play the piano, crochet, and watch tennis and college basketball on TV. Roger Federer is my sports hero.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I always hope to get more actual reading hours in (without giving up social media time – not sure how to do that!)

message 6: by Ann A (last edited Oct 21, 2017 01:35PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Hours 1-4

Got up late because I didn't sleep well, but here is my progress so far:

Hours: 1 hr reading, 54 min audio
Pages: 59 pages in Y is for Yesterday, 27 in Midnight in Austenland (audiobook while walking the dog)

Running totals:
Hours: 1 hr 28 min
Pages: 86

message 7: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Hours 5-8

As usual, the time is going by too fast!

Since last update:
Hours: 2 hrs reading
Pages: 123 pgs in Y is for Yesterday

Running totals:
Hours: 3 hrs reading, 54 min audio
Pages: 209

message 9: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Mid-Event Survey:
1. What are you reading right now? Y is for Yesterday, Midnight in Austenland, and This One Summer
2. How many books have you read so far? Haven't finished one yet - have been mixing it up
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Finishing This One Summer
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? No outside interruptions, just taking time for social media, making a snack or tea, taking the dog for a walk, etc.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? Nothing, really

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments I love the blue illustrations in This One Summer!

Happy Reading! ~Ashley

message 11: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Colona Public Library wrote: "I love the blue illustrations in This One Summer!

Happy Reading! ~Ashley"

I just finished it. Great book!

message 12: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Hours 9-14

Since last update:
8 pgs in Y is for Yesterday
14 pgs in Midnight in Austenland
318 pgs in This One Summer Finished

I'll post the hours read later - want to get back to reading!

message 13: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Hours 15-19

233 pgs - Drama, finished (graphic)
I Am Jazz (picture book)
53 pgs - Nightlights (picture book)

I'm off to read in bed now (and probably nap), but hope to come back for the last hour...

message 14: by Ann A (last edited Oct 22, 2017 02:36PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Hours 20-24

Well, I didn't make it back for the last hour like I usually do - guess the lack of sleep the night before caught up to me. I had an impressive number of pages (for me) this time, due to a couple of graphic novels :) Hours were not so good, as I usually get 10-12 in.

Final totals
Pages: 852
Hours: 5 hr 45 min reading, 1 hr 45 min audio
Total Hours: 7 hr 30 min

Great job, everyone! Can't wait to do this again.

message 15: by Ann A (last edited Oct 22, 2017 01:40PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments Closing Survey
1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Fell asleep at hour 21. I usually get up for the last hour, but not this time. Age?
2. Tell us ALLLLL the books you read! This One Summer, Drama, I am Jazz, Nightlights, and part of Y is for Yesterday, Midnight in Austenland, and The Sign of the Twisted Candle
3. Which books would you recommend to other Read-a-thoners? I've never focused on graphic novels before, but it worked well for me this time.
4. What’s a really rad thing we could do during the next Read-a-thon that would make you smile? Can't think of anything. It's already SO rad!
5. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? Would you be interested in volunteering to help organize and prep? VERY likely. I may have a conflict in April, but I could probably help prep.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 43 comments Excellent progress!