Philosophy Book Club discussion

Jaspers

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ophelie Wolf (new)

Ophelie Wolf | 4 comments Mod
Just finished rereading Jaspers.

Read it very differently from last time. This time i was much more interested in his views on history, on the possibility of a non violent world state, on the difference between circumstantial goodness and true goodness and on the importance of true meaningful communication.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on all that.

In case you are still in, the next book is Plato’s Gorgias. Depending on feedback I will keep this club going or take it down.

Love

message 2: by Michael (last edited Dec 20, 2017 05:18PM) (new)

Michael I’m down to read Gorgias. That’s one I haven’t read.
*update* looks like I missed the boat. What r u reading now?

message 3: by Ophelie Wolf (new)

Nothing actually. I stopped the club because there wasn’t any feedback happening. Sorry. Georgia’s is still great though!

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Aww. I can’t find any active philosophy book clubs anywhere. Kinda sad.

message 5: by Ophelie Wolf (new)

You and me both. Unfortunately it was the last of many attempts to rally people around intellectual and/or charitable causes. And I’m kind of done.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Can I persuade you to give it another go? I’m a fairly avid reader of philosophy and history would not leave you hanging.

message 7: by Ophelie Wolf (new)

I’ll try to devote it some time over Xmas. Thank you!

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Alright. Check out my poll.

message 9: by Mike Monje (new)

Mike Monje | 2 comments Old retired guy here. I'd like to see it start up again. Anything I can do to help?

message 10: by Khansa (new)

Khansa Jan Dijoo (booksrmycupoftea) | 2 comments i am currently reading The Last Day of Socrates and I wanted to know what is significant about the Apology dialogue?

message 11: by Mike Monje (new)

Mike Monje | 2 comments Hi. A couple of things I can think of: It is not a dialogue in the sense that most of the others are - Socrates here explains his role as philosopher. He defines his role as gadfly here. He also talks about his daemon and how it keeps him from making mistakes, but does not indicate right action. Also, it has Plato's most quoted statement:
"The unexamined life is not worth living." Lately I've been thinking that the unexamined life may indeed be worth living, but perhaps the idea of examining my life is the underappreciated task of philosophy. -- Mike

message 12: by Khansa (new)

Khansa Jan Dijoo (booksrmycupoftea) | 2 comments Thank you for answering.