#WriterlyBookClub discussion

Future reads

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R.Q. (new)

R.Q. Woodward (rqwoodward) | 5 comments Mod
We've got a good list of potential future reads going, but I'd love to hear everyone's ideas for more! What are a few books that you'd like to see the Writerly Book Club read? Do you prefer hot new releases or older books that can be easily found in libraries? What genres do you prefer? Are you looking to expand your horizons or stick with the familiar?

I'm a fantasy and YA fan myself. And that's the genre I typically write in, so I'm trying to catch up on newer releases to have a better grasp of potential comp titles for querying!

message 2: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Kaye (tkwhite12) | 1 comments I also love YA fantasy and prefer to stick to that genre (recently) because it makes me a better writer! However, I definitely still enjoy and love books outside the fantasy genre.

The only recommendations I have are books I’ve already read (which is totally fine because I haven’t had anyone to talk to them about!). I’ll add to the future reads list : )

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley McLeo I like YA and fantasy too. As for new versus old reads I think a mix would be nice.

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Vera (annavera) | 1 comments I'm not usually a contemporary fan, but John Green's TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN looks like an *excellent* book to read and chat about afterward!

As far was what I'm normally looking for: Fantasy and Sci-Fi, and would prefer a newer release! :)

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael  (inkandmagic) | 2 comments I'd like to find more books that are excellent examples of something related to writing. For example, Nevernight and Godsgrave are excellent examples of an unreliable narrator, The Portable Door series has a great reluctant hero, and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a lesson in how to discover a new world through the eyes of the MC. I'd like to know what books and authors people look to for compelling characters, epic world building, well-done diversity, or anything that makes you think "I can learn from this."

message 6: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Bilgram | 3 comments Mod
Six of Crows is great for world building, but especially for creating compelling characters, revealing information about them slowly, and also balancing multiple perspectives without any of them suffering.

Six of Crows also has a lot of diversity, but if we want a book specifically about diversity we could read The Hate U Give

In terms of plot, I haven't read it, but in her podcast with 88 cups of tea, Leigh Bardugo said Carter Beats the Devil is a perfectly plotted book that she looks to for help, and so that could be an interesting read.

message 7: by R.Q. (new)

R.Q. Woodward (rqwoodward) | 5 comments Mod
The Delphi Effect by Rysa Walker has the best, most natural diversity and the most realistic teens I’ve seen in contemporary YA.

Dragonbound by Chelsea M. Campbell is an excellent study in first person perspective with present tense. The narrative is masterfully done. It’s also got surprising depth (characterization) for her two MCs.

For me Girl on a Train was great for unreliable/imperfect narrator, and Gone Girl was great for realistic, horribly flawed characters.

message 8: by Michael (last edited Nov 02, 2017 02:26PM) (new)

Michael  (inkandmagic) | 2 comments I agree about Six of Crows. It also excels at small details like the gloves or the palm scar in the Grisha trilogy. Bardugo does so many things well, especially in Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom.

Delphi Effect and the Hate U Give are on my TBR. I'll look into the others. Thanks.