Retro Reads discussion

Group Reads > The White Witch October 2017 Group Read Spoilers thread

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 1573 comments Mod
For all open spoilers & final conclusions! :)

message 2: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Too late for Judy (& the pace of the book has just picked up for me) but I'm wondering if people took to Golden Age mysteries, so much because of the rapid pacing. I love Goudge, FPQ & (so far) one Seton, but the pacing is often a lot slower than more modern books.

message 3: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

& looks like Goudge was right about there being some sort of postal service https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mail

message 4: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1944 comments It's funny that in these older books, you get the impression that not a lot is happening - until you actually start listing events. Is it because there's so much more in the way of description of not only places but the interior lives of the characters?

message 5: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Finished last night - & I'm still thinking about it.

As I mention in my review, a very misleading blurb, put me sort of off pace with the book. I guess the publisher thought this would sell more copies as a romance. & I have to say the John/Jenny part of the story is a little uncomfortable to modern eyes (although I did like the resolution.)

After being a little slow,the story did become very moving. Anyone else get a Tale of Two Cities vibe from Yoben's end?

message 6: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1944 comments Yoben was such a complex character that his substitutionary (ha! Auto correct let me use that one!) end was fitting, and i agree it definitely had a Two Cities vibe. He had already spent most of his life trying to atone for his betrayals, so to finally be granted his desire put him at peace. His was a hard life.

When Madona finally comes to Froniga and tells her ..."those who break the law should be loved more and not less for their sin, for if we do not forgive, then is sin added to sin and the end is death." I was struck by what a profound truth that is, so basic, and yet today it seems as though no one wants to forgive anyone for anything. It's that lack of "more love" which is sad.

message 7: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1944 comments I figure the age difference was about 20 years, so that's pretty rare these days. But it still does happen, and those I know of seem to have pretty rock-solid marriages. They have their own special challenges, of course, but the up-side is that when one partner is much older, he's probably pretty sure of what he (or she) wants, and the younger partner is probably pretty determined, too, to make it work.

message 8: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 66 comments Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "Too late for Judy (& the pace of the book has just picked up for me) but I'm wondering if people took to Golden Age mysteries, so much because of the rapid pacing. I love Goudge, FPQ & (so far) one..."

I agree the pacing is an attraction for many of the mysteries, Carol, though some like Michael Innes are very slow-paced... I do enjoy books with all kinds of pacing, but am interested to hear this one sped up later.

message 9: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 639 comments I finished several days ago and here is my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...