The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Television/Movie Mysteries > Borley Rectory

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian Jarvis | 33 comments Most people in this forum will know the story of Borley Rectory, the Most Haunted House in England. Here's a look at the amazing new film by Ashley Thorpe, starring Jonathan Rigby and Reece Shearsmith, and my own overnight visits to the site of the famous hauntings.
https://www.ianjarviswriter.com/singl...

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thank you, and I am not familiar.

message 3: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Very interesting, Ian.

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8724 comments Mod
I'll give the movie a pass, but if you want to read a good fiction novel where Borley Rectory features prominently, try Neil Spring's The Ghost Hunters . It's more about Harry Price, but it's filled with the legends of Borley Rectory.

Not a fan of the Warrens, by the way.

message 5: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thanks Nancy!

message 6: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "Thanks Nancy!"

It's a pretty good book.

message 7: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments :) It looks scary!

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: ":) It looks scary!"

Nah. Not to worry. :)

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I'm not, I am very used to haunted houses around here, and I grew up in one. This book looks good, Nancy,

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1384 comments I couldn't find the book on amazon

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian Jarvis | 33 comments Skye, Borley is probably the most famous British ghost story, incorporating so many different elements of poltergeists, different ghosts, seances and paranormal detective work. Many now say everything was faked or had natural explanations, but it;s still a marvellous and very interesting story, even on a historical level. You could try Harry Price's book the End of Borley Rectory. It's available on Kindle and well worth a look

message 12: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Ian, since I read your post, yesterday, so many have recommended books and updated me on the history of this eerie place.

message 13: by Marian (new)

Marian After the Rectory was demolished,it says in the article that the ghosts moved on to a 800 year old church across the way?

message 14: by Ian (new)

Ian Jarvis | 33 comments Marian, that's what many of the ghost hunters claim. The congregation and villagers disagree. Several people have seen and heard 'things' in Borley church over the years, but I think many more are the product of overactive imaginations. With the rectory gone, hopeful investigators needed a focus for their visits and the church and graveyard provided this.

message 15: by Marian (new)

Marian Ian..thank you:)To your knowledge,is there as many "Ghost Hunters" these days as there use to be?Was there more in the past than in the present?

message 16: by Ian (new)

Ian Jarvis | 33 comments The late seventies definitely seemed to be the time for all this with lots of psychic research groups. There was a huge occult revival then too. There are still paranormal groups out there (you can find plenty of Facebook), although many seem to be into taking paying punters to haunted sites for overnight 'Most Haunted style' vigils. Borley actively deters investigators and curious tourists these days, with a locked security grill on the church porch, CCTV cameras, no parking spots in the hamlet, and police drive-by visits on weekend nights. If anyone wants to see inside the church, the keyholder lives opposite at the cottage, but whatever you do, don't mention ghosts or they become a little hostile.

message 17: by Marian (new)

Marian Ian wrote: "The late seventies definitely seemed to be the time for all this with lots of psychic research groups. There was a huge occult revival then too. There are still paranormal groups out there (you can..."

Have you ever read the book Ian,"The Demonologist?Its the story of Ed and Lorainne Warren.It seems ghost are not the only ones responsible for hauntings.I understand that Lorainne Warren is 90 now and is still a paranormal investigator.

message 18: by Marian (new)

Marian Ian wrote: "The late seventies definitely seemed to be the time for all this with lots of psychic research groups. There was a huge occult revival then too. There are still paranormal groups out there (you can..."

Thank you for the info Ian..:)

message 19: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments We have certified haunted homes in South Jersey, especially near the Pine Barrens, and I have experienced inexplicable things when least expected.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 429 comments I do find all this stuff interesting, not something yoy hear that often these days

message 21: by Marian (new)

Marian I would actually love to see the film.

message 22: by Marian (new)

Marian It says its an animated documentary...

message 23: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments South Jersey ( not southern Jersey---it's a complicated little state divided by so many teeny segments) is noted for its haunts and witch craft.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Ghost Hunters (other topics)