Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > Borley Rectory

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian Jarvis | 52 comments Most people in this forum will know the story of Borley Rectory, the Most Haunted House in England. Here's a look at the amazing new film by Ashley Thorpe, starring Jonathan Rigby and Reece Shearsmith, and my own overnight visits to the site of the famous hauntings.
https://www.ianjarviswriter.com/singl...

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6803 comments Thanks for sharing! I had actually not heard of the story of Borley Rectory before and it was really interesting reading about it.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Jarvis | 52 comments It's a great story, Erin. You can get the End of Borley Rectory by Harry Price on Kindle

message 4: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Archer | 36 comments Looks interesting. Is this place open to the public or do ghost hunters make an appointment?

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Jarvis | 52 comments Sorry, Aaron, the place was demolished in the mid 1940s, but the tiny village still attracts ghost hunters. Many claim to have seen things and picked up sensations in the churchyard and the quiet lane next to where the old rectory stood.

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 279 comments Ian wrote: "Most people in this forum will know the story of Borley Rectory, the Most Haunted House in England. Here's a look at the amazing new film by Ashley Thorpe, starring Jonathan Rigby and Reece Shearsm..."

Saw this at Grimmfest in Manchester a couple of weeks ago. I knew the history and thought the way the film was presented did it justice in an interesting and unusual way. Not what I expected, but it certainly worked.

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Jarvis | 52 comments It WAS different, wasn't it, Catherine? I thought it was an excellent way to present this story. I probably rubbed shoulders with you in the Grimmfest cinema crowd.

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 279 comments Ian wrote: "It WAS different, wasn't it, Catherine? I thought it was an excellent way to present this story. I probably rubbed shoulders with you in the Grimmfest cinema crowd."

Hi Ian. You probably did. We were there for the full festival and never missed a film! It was great, wasn't it?

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian Jarvis | 52 comments Yes, a brilliant atmosphere. It was my first Grimmfest, but like Nicole Scherzinger said: 'I'll be back'. Er, sorry, make that Arnold Schwarzenegger.

message 10: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Making a note to read this later. The name was the place alone sounds cool!

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 279 comments Ian wrote: "Yes, a brilliant atmosphere. It was my first Grimmfest, but like Nicole Scherzinger said: 'I'll be back'. Er, sorry, make that Arnold Schwarzenegger."

See you next year!

message 12: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 195 comments I've heard of it and always thought it was interesting, thanks for the share!

On an interesting (I hope, lol) sidenote the name is referenced in Silent Hill 3. At Lakeside Amusement Park, the 'haunted house' is named the 'Borley Mansion'.

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian Jarvis | 52 comments Borley Mansion - great. Yes, it gets a nod in various films, either by name or by being the main influence. The Haunting, for example, the Legend of Hell House, and one or two British TV dramas from the past.

message 14: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10678 comments Mod
I love the story of the Borley Rectory! thanks for sharing this, I'm going to have a look now.

message 15: by Latasha (new)

I love that poster for the movie!

message 16: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 279 comments Latasha wrote: "I love that poster for the movie!"

I have a copy of it hanging on my bathroom wall. I think it's great too

message 17: by Latasha (new)

Catherine wrote: "Latasha wrote: "I love that poster for the movie!"

I have a copy of it hanging on my bathroom wall. I think it's great too"

awesome!

message 18: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2378 comments Will it be on Netflix or Prime?

message 19: by Ian (new)

Ian Jarvis | 52 comments I'm not sure where you'll be able to see it. At the moment it's doing the rounds of the festivals - horror conventions, etc. If you're on Facebook, you can ask Ashley, the writer/director.

message 20: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2378 comments I’m not. This is my only social media. It’s enough, lol.

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 279 comments Lena wrote: "Will it be on Netflix or Prime?"

Here's a link to the official Borley Rectory website http://carrionfilms.co.uk/borley-rect... Unfortunately it only seems to mention the festivals - not any releases in cinemas or on Netflix