Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Eastern Fantasy COMPLETE - 130k words

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicity (new)

Felicity (fauxpanacea) | 3 comments Title: The Wandering Mage
The Author: My tentative penname is F.B.F. Duran. I am a Filipino-American woman whose love for my culture and fantasy has inspired me to write this first draft novel. If you are interested, please PM me!

Synopsis:
Inspired by Philippine mythology and Eastern culture, The Wandering Mage is set in a world full of elemental and spiritual magic. There is a fine line between good and evil, and nothing is ever what it seems.

Ren is a young boy whose village was torn apart by a century of civil war. As the last remaining member who chose to stay behind, all hope seems lost. Until one day, a mage wanders by with an offer of salvation.

Excerpt:
Now much closer than before, the child saw beneath his hood not only the gray eyes, but the point of a chin he thought looked a lot rounder and younger than an older man’s would be. No stubble poked out, and no wrinkle lines marred his face. The wanderer only had one flaw; a short silver scar that ran at a slight slant and horizontally just below his left eye.
“You must be cold out here,” the stranger spoke in an almost-whisper, “Do you have any place to go?”

Notes: Remember that this is the first draft, and any major editing is only just beginning. I need your help with finding any plot holes or major problems you find with the story! My writing has changed a bit from chapter 1 to the end, as it took me about a year to complete the entire manuscript. So also keep that in mind. I do realize that sometimes I tended to be a little long-winded in sentences.

message 2: by Alex (last edited Oct 18, 2017 01:04PM) (new)

Alex (asato) Excellent idea to base a fantasy story on Phillipine mythology, but I don’t get a sense of it from the synopsis or blurb.

Have you read Isabel Yap? I read this really visceral short of hers about Manananggal and loved it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 3: by Felicity (new)

Felicity (fauxpanacea) | 3 comments No I haven't read stories by Isabel Yap. But a Manananggal story short sounds great
If you want more info on this story though, it's about a boy who is saved and taught by a mage. There's spirits and mythology involved including creatures like the kapre.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Excellent! I’m tired of the same old wizards and supernatural creatures like vampires, shapeshifters, and fae.

MountainGuardian | 8 comments Hello,
I am a fellow writer looking for a beta myself.
But the premise of Philippine mythology for your story sounds interesting. I could try to beta-read a few chapters for you.
Send me a message to connect.