Children's Books discussion

Members' favorites & nostalgia > Adults - what was your favourite childhood book when you were young?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monster Books (new)

Monster Books (MonsterBookUK) | 2 comments Monster Books is writing a blog article on favourite childhood books from the past! Would be great to hear what you all remember reading as kids.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6446 comments Mod
Impossible to pick one, difficult to narrow it down!

The Secret Garden: love the whole premise, wanted a flower garden of my own, and an enchanting neighbor boy. Didn't worry about being an orphan.

The Phantom Tollbooth: love the satire, the word play, the logic games, the humor. Didn't worry about the MC's real life issues.

message 3: by Harley (new)

Harley Bennett | 43 comments Lad: a Dog: Actually anything about animals especially dogs.

message 4: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (last edited Feb 22, 2018 11:16AM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2481 comments Mod
What age? Different favorites at different ages.

When I was younger: Horton Hears a Who!.

When I was in elementary school: Nancy Drew series, Hardy Boy series

When I was in middle school: Three Investigator series

When I was in middle school and high school: Black Stallion / Island Stallion series; and every dog book Albert Payson Terhune ever wrote.

message 5: by Manybooks (last edited Nov 21, 2017 12:31PM) (new)

Manybooks | 7698 comments Mod
I cannot pick just one book.

The Secret Garden
The Neverending Story
Anne of Green Gables
Me and the Terrible Two
Little Women
Madita (the German versions, I hated the English language translations, they left out entire chapters)

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather In my younger reading days I loved the girl who loved wild horses by goble. And as I grew up I enjoyed the lioness rampant series by tamora pierce

message 7: by Jakki (new)

Jakki Tauer | 5 comments When I was really young, I liked Christina Katerina & The Box by Patricia Lee Gauch.
And, The Monster at The End of This Book by Jon Stone.

message 9: by C. (new)

C. | 4 comments Throughout Middle school, I think about all I read was animal books and comics. All of those by Albert Payson Terhune, such as Lad:A Dog, and the horse books by Marguerite Henry.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6446 comments Mod
Marguerite Henry was one of my top favorites , then, too. I think especially because of the illustrations by Wesley Dennis.

message 11: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1819 comments The books that had the most impact include the Little House books (favorites are Little House in the Big Woods and On the Banks of Plum Creek) with illustrations by Garth Williams. I wanted to be Laura!

Then I discovered Anne of Green Gables and wanted to be Anne! Shortly after that the American Girl books came out. The Kirsten series Meet Kirsten: An American Girl was the one I read and reread and wrote fan fiction about but Samantha's books are some of my favorites!

message 12: by Trevor (new)

Trevor Carss | 3 comments The hungry caterpillar book, hands down, is legendary.

My kids and I must've read that a hundred times!

message 14: by Trevor (new)

Trevor Carss | 3 comments It is so incredible Cheryl, I love Eric Carle's work!

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan (appaloosa05) | 14 comments Anything with horses, with a preference for the more realistic stories (not much of a fan of Saddle Club/Thoroughbred/Pony Pals series though I would read them because they were about horses).

Billy and Blaze picture books by C.W. Anderson
Marguerite Henry, especially with Wesley Dennis' wonderful illustrations

and my all-time favorites,

The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley

These sustained a horse-crazy city girl for many a year until I could afford to pay for lessons with my paper route money at 14.

Megan wrote: "Marguerite Henry, especially with Wesley Dennis' wonderful illustrations.."

Oh yes Especially the ones where I could learn about the lineage of a type of horse, for some reason. King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian and Justin Morgan Had a Horse. Not a big fan of Misty, and am only reading the sequels now.

message 17: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2481 comments Mod
Megan wrote: "Anything with horses, with a preference for the more realistic stories (not much of a fan of Saddle Club/Thoroughbred/Pony Pals series though I would read them because they were about horses).

Bil..."

I was also a devoted fan of Billy & Blaze, Marguerite Henry and Walter Farley.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael Fitzgerald | 367 comments I never knew Billy & Blaze until parenthood. They are great post-easy reader books with magnificent illustrations. Henry and Farley were not favorites, but I read them. Also a ton of Terhune. At that point it was more about quantity - reading for the sake of reading.

Particular series favorites from my youth that have unfortunately disappeared from libraries include Cowboy Sam by Edna Walker Chandler and Dan Frontier by William Hurley.

message 20: by Manybooks (last edited Feb 22, 2018 03:03PM) (new)

Michael wrote: "I never knew Billy & Blaze until parenthood. They are great post-easy reader books with magnificent illustrations. Henry and Farley were not favorites, but I read them. Also a ton of Terhune. At th..."

I have never been all that much into The Black Stallion series, too much a glorification of thoroughbred racing for my tastes. And while I loved the Misty of Chincoteague series, some of Marguerite Henry's thoroughbred stories, like Black Gold are again too much a positive spin on thoroughbred racing as a sport for me.

Audetnicolegmail.Com | 1 comments I loved to read all Dysney's picture books. Then, I wrote more than 25 picture books. Dysney inspired me as a writer.

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan (appaloosa05) | 14 comments "Michael wrote: "I never knew Billy & Blaze until parenthood. They are great post-easy reader books with magnificent illustrations. Henry and Farley were not favorites, but I read them.

Manybooks wrote: I have never been all that much into The Black Stallion series, too much a glorification of thoroughbred racing for my tastes.

Now that I have experience working around Thoroughbreds and have seen more of the business side of things, I am not a fan of Thoroughbred racing either. I didn't become as aware of all the negatives until my teen years. As a child, though, there were so few opportunities to interact with horses or see horses on TV outside of racing that I took everything I could get.

message 23: by Megan (new)

Megan (appaloosa05) | 14 comments Beverly wrote:
I was also a devoted fan of Billy & Blaze, Marguerite Henry and Walter Farley.

*waves*

message 24: by Manybooks (last edited Feb 24, 2018 09:53AM) (new)

Megan wrote: " "Michael wrote: "I never knew Billy & Blaze until parenthood. They are great post-easy reader books with magnificent illustrations. Henry and Farley were not favorites, but I read them.

Manybooks..."

I grew up in Calgary, Alberta and it was a well known fact that the majority of chuckwagon racing horses were broken down thoroughbreds.

My family also bred Trakehners and it was always freaky that by the time we started to slowly train a young warmblood horse at around the age of three, in thoroughbred racing, they would have been training their horses for two years already (starting too young in my opinion).

message 25: by Megan (new)

Megan (appaloosa05) | 14 comments Yes, I completely agree that the horses are started far too young, leading to debilitating injuries. Not to mention that far more Thoroughbreds are bred than there are homes for after their racing days are done.

If I am ever in a place financially to afford a horse, I would love to retrain a Thoroughbred for pleasure riding.

message 26: by Mike & Lori (new)

Mike & Lori M (mke__m) | 15 comments Space Cat by Ruthven Todd: I now own the whole series as ex-library copies. I like to think of all the kids who read these very volumes when they were circulating--most of them probably with children and grandchildren by now.

message 27: by V (new)

V | 11 comments Jasmine wrote: "Island of the Blue Dolphins
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Little Women
A Wrinkle in Time"

Yes! All of those!

And fantasy by Tamora Pierce and Patricia C. Wrede

message 28: by I.L. (new)

I.L. Williams | 3 comments Charlotte's Web!

message 29: by Princess (new)

Princess | 1 comments There was a book series i remeber reading awhile back about little girls finding dolls that transport them to a different place that the doll was related to and they met princesses, but I cant seem to remeber the title and i’ve been looking for it since! I loved that book really triggered my imagination:)

message 30: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Ball | 9 comments My favourite book as a child was Charlotte's Web

message 31: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Ballaer (vvbdesign) | 1 comments There were so many books that I loved when I was a kid. Though I wasn't an avid reader, there were those few books that I did enjoy, like Stuart Little for some reason. I also liked Roald Dahl books (the BFG), and Goosebumps were also super fun to read in Elementary School, I had a huge collection of them.

message 32: by Tripti (new)

Tripti (readkidsread) | 1 comments The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton, Little Women, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Great Expectations, David Copperfield...

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura Henderson | 2 comments Where's Spot?, Pat the Bunny, Green Eggs and Ham, where just a few favorites at our house!

message 34: by C. (new)

C. Selbherr | 1 comments My favourite was 'The Island of Adventure' by Enid Blyton. I bought it again for my daughter 2 years ago - she loved it too!

message 35: by Emily (new)

Emily Thevenin | 33 comments Can't pick just one...
The Great Green Turkey Creek Monster
Buzz, Buzz, Buzz
Little House in the Big Woods
Ginnie and Her Juniors

message 36: by Eric (new)

Eric Timar | 3 comments Answering this thread after a year and a half, in part because I don't see Beverly Cleary listed. I loved Runaway Ralph and other books of hers.

And I see she's still living! 104!

I'm showing my age, I think, and I'm not sure if her books are read much, anymore.

One benefit of her books was that they had both male and female characters, and without that, honestly, I don't think I would have spent as much time reading about well-developed girls' characters (for example, Ramona). (And when I say "well-developed," I mean for children's lit, of course.)

This was all before third grade; at that age, I moved to science fiction and read that almost exclusively until high school.

Thank you for adding Beverly Cleary, she is absolutely one of my favorites, and one of my youngest son's, too. When he was reading independently, we didn't want to give up reading together, so I read the whole Ramona series to him, and he enjoyed it almost as much as I did. This would have been about age 8 I think, and about 2004. I'm quite sure they're still in print.

In fact, I also read, when we were dating, The Mouse and the Motorcycle to my husband, as his name is Ralph and he's into motorcycles. He got a kick out of it.

message 38: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1819 comments I loved Beverly Cleary too. I don't think she's as popular anymore. I gave my niece Ramona Quimby, Age 8 when she was 8 and no word on whether she read it. Older niece listened to some of Ramona the Pest and enjoyed it but never sought out the books to read. (That's miss "I only read graphic novels.)

message 39: by Adolfo (new)

Adolfo Osorio (aleonimation) | 2 comments I was obsessed with all of Shel Silverstein's books. Some of the best children's books ever made in my opinion.

message 40: by Eileen (new)

Eileen (httpwwwgoodreadscomeileenv21) | 3 comments Cheryl is busier irl atm. wrote: "Impossible to pick one, difficult to narrow it down!

The Secret Garden: love the whole premise, wanted a flower garden of my own, and an enchanting neighbor boy. Didn't worry about b..."

I loved The Secret Garden too!! And the movie!!

message 41: by Eileen (new)

Eileen (httpwwwgoodreadscomeileenv21) | 3 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "I loved Beverly Cleary too. I don't think she's as popular anymore. I gave my niece Ramona Quimby, Age 8 when she was 8 and no word on whether she read it. Older niece listened to some..."

I owned all the Ramona books and loved them, I recently went to the library and found they had changed all the covers though! I am partial to the original ones

message 42: by Eileen (new)

Eileen (httpwwwgoodreadscomeileenv21) | 3 comments Samantha wrote: "My favourite book as a child was Charlotte's Web"

Charlotte's Web changed my life. It's what got me into reading and I wouldn't be the person I am today without it.

message 43: by Manybooks (new)

Eileen wrote: "Cheryl is busier irl atm. wrote: "Impossible to pick one, difficult to narrow it down!

The Secret Garden: love the whole premise, wanted a flower garden of my own, and an enchanting ..."

If you can find a copy, the BBC television series of The Secret Garden (from the late 1970s) is fantastic. It really follow the book and Ben’s authentic Yorkshire dialect is great.

message 44: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1819 comments Eileen wrote: "Samantha wrote: "My favourite book as a child was Charlotte's Web"

Charlotte's Web changed my life. It's what got me into reading and I wouldn't be the person I am today without it."

Aww! I refuse to eat pig products because of Wilbur. I know E.B. White was pragmatic about it but how could he make Wilbur such an appealing character and expect any reader to want to eat ham or bacon after that?!

QNPoohBear wrote:... " Aww! I refuse to eat pig products because of Wilbur. I know E.B. White was pragmatic about it but how could he make Wilbur such an appealing character and expect any reader to want to eat ham or bacon after that?!..."

I have always wondered that. I know the novel has been widely read in schools, but I don't see evidence that it's making more kids choose to avoid pork.

message 46: by Manybooks (last edited May 04, 2022 08:54AM) (new)

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish wrote: "QNPoohBear wrote:... " Aww! I refuse to eat pig products because of Wilbur. I know E.B. White was pragmatic about it but how could he make Wilbur such an appealing character and expect any reader t..."

On the other hand there are novels post Charlotte’s Web where some of the characters refuse to eat pork because of Wilbur, like for example Suzy Austin Madeline L’Engle Austin Family series