What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Dystopian novel about a girl who has a connection to birds, wears a pinny and collects seeds who escapes and ends up with a group of people on a boat. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex | 1 comments Okay here goes..
PLOT:
Girl (adopted?)works as servant and lives in house with greedy sisters and mother (non biological??). She forages for possessions in houses that people used to live in. One of the possessions she forages is a set of shoes which one of the greedy sisters take and its too small for her feet but she tries anyway. Girl has room in attic where she keeps seeds from her real mother (iirc).

Girl and greedy sisters are forced to marry people based on a group of elders deciding. a gas attack or something happens and they have to leave, they join a group of rebels
(bits I know happened but idk where they fit in the plot): Girl is being executed by being forced off a cliff (doesn't actually happen), Girl ends up on a boat away from gas attack with rebels

Notable Characters:
Girl (wears pinny, bit of a servant, likes birds), Sisters (greedy, steals good stuff from Girl), adopted mother (bit of a bitch iirc), elders (old and out of touch), some strong willed old bloke who tells Girl when they are cliff jumping to try and land for the water.

Genre:
FICTION, written in english, Pretty sure its dystopian, young adult at least

Book description:
(something I actually know lol) Book was standard small, paper back, novel style. Cover 100% had a picture of the face of a white bird with yellow eyes filling the entire cover, I borrowed it from my school library
When was it set:

Future, the book mentions the old world and when Girl forages she finds a DVD disc

Book length:
200+ pages

Year read:

2012-14

Young adult
That all I got guys, thanks so much if you find it.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
Alex, is there romance in the story?

message 3: by Kokomomomo (new)

Kokomomomo | 62 comments Have you checked the lists of Cinderella YA retellings here on goodreads?

message 4: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4229 comments I may have found it: Nest of Lies by Heather McQuillan?

message 5: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 893 comments I second Ayshe's suggestion of Nest of Lies by Heather McQuillan. I've read it and it matches your plot and cover description :)

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Alex, is Nest of Lies your book? Please let us know if this is solved or not. We crave closure!

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39315 comments Mod
Alex, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19064 comments I agree with Ayshe and SBC. Definitely Nest of Lies.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Nest of Lies (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Heather McQuillan (other topics)