readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Books about midlife crisis

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 11 comments I’m looking for fictional novels where the main character is having a mid life crisis. Thanks. I’m having one😐

message 2: by Stella (new)

Stella | 30 comments following this!

message 3: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (bizarrojones) | 4 comments Are you looking for books where characters successfully resolve their midlife crisis, or just any in general?

message 4: by JenniferD (last edited Oct 20, 2017 04:27AM) (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) hmm... a few novels that came to mind:

* The Lovers, vendela vida
* Ladder of Years, anne tyler
* Straight Man or That Old Cape Magic, richard russo
* The Post-Birthday World, lionel shriver

message 5: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (bizarrojones) | 4 comments While it is not a book, the Northern Exposure episode "Things Become Extinct" was one of the best works of art on midlife crisis I had encountered. It captured the crushing blow of our coming to grips with mortality, and the solace we take in our shared plight. I saw it when I was young, but the relevance of it hits me from time to time as I get older.

message 6: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) Kirk wrote: "While it is not a book, the Northern Exposure episode "Things Become Extinct" was one of the best works of art on midlife crisis I had encountered...."

dang, do i ever love that show. is that the episode with (view spoiler)

message 7: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 11 comments Yes. I too love northern exposure. I will be re-watching that episode for sure!! Thanks!

message 8: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (bizarrojones) | 4 comments I miss it. The actor who played Ed did a great documentary and I think a book on stories behind the scenes and where everyone is now. I still need to pick that up.

I had some of the seasons on DVD, but the took the original music out and replaced it with stock music, unfortunately. Still great, but not quite the same.

message 9: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Morley (ladypoppy) | 1 comments Try “Revenge of the Middle Aged Housewife”, I really liked it.

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten McKenzie (kirstenmckenzieauthor) | 11 comments It's a little on the other side of 'Middle Age', but the book Dear Beneficiary was excellent!

Others which may suit are The Gallery of Vanished Husbands, The Ladies' Room, and Where'd You Go, Bernadette