Aussie Readers discussion

You and Your Books! > Halloween Reads?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1620 comments As a big horror fan, I'm wondering if anyone is reading anything special for Halloween? I love my Stephen King books but I've also got Best New Horror 23 edited by Stephen Jones which I'm hoping will raise some goosebumps!

So what are your spookiest picks? :)

message 2: by Bryndís (last edited Oct 18, 2017 06:11AM) (new)

Bryndís | 52 comments I'm also a big horror fan, but haven't found anything that really scares me yet... Still searching though! ;-)

((King is not scary for me, House of Leaves was just plain boring, Hex was basically like a childhood story I love only less scary (and if you're less scary than a children's book, you're writing horror wrong), The Girl with All the Gifts started out great but went quickly downhill, The Silence of the Lambs was not as scary as I wanted it to be....))

I would love to read something spooky for Halloween, if I can get my hands on it (for free =) )! If anyone has (truly scary) tips?

message 3: by Elias (last edited Oct 18, 2017 06:24AM) (new)

Elias Zanbaka | 862 comments I'd probably want to re-read either Misery or The Exorcist (which I read about once a year anyway as it's one of my favourite novels).

For new books, I'd really like to read The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson and Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell Jr.

message 4: by Li'l Owl (last edited Oct 18, 2017 01:21PM) (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Bryndís wrote: "I'm also a big horror fan, but haven't found anything that really scares me yet... Still searching though! ;-)

((King is not scary for me, House of Leaves was just plain boring, [book..."

Here's a site on GR for Halloween reads. Quite a number of them are only $0.99 on Kindle.
Perhaps you can find something, Bryndis?

https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/1...

https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/1059

Do you have access to a local library? I use mine all the time so I don't have to purchase books. Maybe that would be useful to you. =o)

I've heard excellent things about [book:Bird Box|18753853] by Josh Malerman
Bird Box by Josh Malerman
I'm borrowing it from my library.

The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison
The Butterfly Garden (The Collector #1) by Dot Hutchison
I recently read this one and it was scary good!

message 5: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1620 comments Bryndis King is more gruesome than anything else but I've still had a few 'chills down the spine' moments in some of his!

Never read The Exorcist, I really should get onto that one! Better than the movie, I'm assuming?

Both on my to-read list, Owl! I need to start buying some of the books on my to-read list instead of new ones lol

message 6: by Elias (new)

Elias Zanbaka | 862 comments Krystal wrote: "Bryndis King is more gruesome than anything else but I've still had a few 'chills down the spine' moments in some of his!

Never read The Exorcist, I really should get onto that one! Better than th..."

Both are amongst my favourite books and films.

Except for a few scenes that I would've liked to have seen, the film does a very good job of adapting the book and adding to it. The book is very cinematic anyway, so it's pretty much a direct translation to the screen.

message 7: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Krystal wrote: "Bryndis King is more gruesome than anything else but I've still had a few 'chills down the spine' moments in some of his!

Never read The Exorcist, I really should get onto that one! Better than th..."

Yep, I know what you mean, Krystal! I like to read others reviews but I have to be strong to not add everything that have been rated well! I've got a system at the moment that works fairly well (mostly)! I only add a book if several friends really loved it AND many more have it on their TBR as well, AND only to my wish list.
I'll be reading Bird Box on Halloween. Haven't read a "horror" book in a long time, so we'll see!
I saw a copy of It today and it's enormous! 1145 pages? Really?

message 8: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1620 comments Li'l Owl wrote: "Yep, I know what you mean, Krystal! I like to read others reviews but I have to be strong to not add everything that have been rated well! I've got a system at the moment that works fairly well (mostly)! I only add a book if several friends really loved it AND many more have it on their TBR as well, AND only to my wish list.
I'll be reading Bird Box on Halloween. Haven't read a "horror" book in a long time, so we'll see!
I saw a copy of It today and it's enormous! 1145 pages? Really?
"

I have this naive hope that one day I'll have been able to read them all lol.

I know what you mean! The Stand is one I'm hoping to get through before the year is out but it's a daunting 1325 pages!

message 9: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Krystal wrote: "Li'l Owl wrote: "Yep, I know what you mean, Krystal! I like to read others reviews but I have to be strong to not add everything that have been rated well! I've got a system at the moment that work..."

Wow! More power to you, Krystal! lol

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather I've been wanting to read Something Wicked This Way Comes for sometime now. I saw the movie years ago and was a little frightened by it. I'm going to suggest it for our October read in book club.

message 11: by Jazzy (last edited Sep 09, 2018 11:38AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 596 comments Halloween isn't really celebrated here in England, as it's more of an American thing, also it's in preparation of the Day of the Dead, which is the first and second of November, so not really an October holiday at all. Although I do know of a few people who celebrate Samhain, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

"All Saints' Day (also known as All Hallows' Day or Hallowmas) is the day after All Hallows' Eve (Hallowe'en). It is a feast day celebrated on 1st November by Anglicans and Roman Catholics. It is an opportunity for believers to remember all saints and martyrs, known and unknown, throughout Christian history."

My birthday is in October, I've always associated that time with mid term, castles, the seaside, and hillwalking. When my son was young we would go to Wales and visit all the King Edward I castles and walk the dogs along the surf and have lovely ice-cream cones.

But of course we get Guy Fawkes night on the 5th of November, although in the past decade or so health and safety has really been ruining all our fun.

For a Halloween read I did find this cute little Taschen book with photos from American Halloween media Halloween: Vintage Holiday Graphics

message 12: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1620 comments We don't hugely celebrate Halloween here in Australia either but I have a soft spot for horror so I always take the chance to slip in some ghastly reads! This year I'm reading 5 books as part of a challenge for another group and I'm most looking forward to The Beauty by Aliya Whiteley.

I still haven't read The Stand haha

Heather that's been on my list for a little while, sounds terrifying!

message 13: by Jazzy (last edited Sep 14, 2018 03:20PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 596 comments Krystal wrote: "We don't hugely celebrate Halloween here in Australia either ..."

I was wondering about that. Do you do Valentine's Day in Oz? Here it's only for sweethearts. You wouldn't give Valentines to your kids or anything like that! I usually have a romantic dinner for one. Although on the 15th of February I might nip out to the shops for half price chocolates.

The history of the St. Valentine’s Day celebrations appears to have its roots in a pagan fertility festival known as Lupercalia. Celebrated in ancient Rome between 13 – 15 February, the festival is said to have involved lots of naked folk running through the streets spanking the backsides of young women with leather whips, supposedly to improve their fertility.

I love that story.

message 14: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1620 comments Jazzy wrote: "Krystal wrote: "We don't hugely celebrate Halloween here in Australia either ..."

I was wondering about that. Do you do Valentine's Day in Oz? Here it's only for sweethearts. You wouldn't give Val..."

Nope, V-Day is just for the love birds. There's plenty of cards, flowers, chocolates etc., and if you head into the city you'll find people selling single roses, but it's definitely a couple's thing only. I'm all about that half-priced chocolate the day after though XD

What a fascinating start it had! Can't say I'd appreciate that fertility ritual myself though lol

message 15: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 It's not promoted as horror however if you take the definition of horror as being ...fiction which is intended to, or has the capacity to frighten, scare, disgust, or startle its readers by inducing feelings of horror and terror. ... Horror is frequently supernatural, though it can be non-supernatural... then The Road by Cormac McCarthy certainly fits as something that will scare the bejesus out of you.

message 16: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1620 comments Sally906 wrote: "It's not promoted as horror however if you take the definition of horror as being ...fiction which is intended to, or has the capacity to frighten, scare, disgust, or startle its readers by inducin..."

I can appreciate that definition but The Road is one of the dullest books I've ever read. Maybe I was too uneducated to appreciate it, but it's probably the book I love to hate the most!

message 17: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Krystal wrote: "I can appreciate that definition but The Road is one of the dullest books I've ever read. Maybe I was too uneducated to appreciate it, but it's probably the book I love to hate the most! .."

LOL - Fair enough, we're all different - 4 of us here at work read it - myself and one other loved the nothingness yet ghastliness of it - the other two like you thought it as dull as ditch-water - pretty much 50/50 :)

message 18: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1620 comments Sally906 wrote: "Krystal wrote: "I can appreciate that definition but The Road is one of the dullest books I've ever read. Maybe I was too uneducated to appreciate it, but it's probably the book I love to hate the ..."

Amazing how some books are either love or hate with very few opinions in between!