The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Solo: A Star Wars Story

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3497 comments Mod
Not very original, but the Han Solo movie finally has an official name.

https://twitter.com/realronhoward/sta...

I guess all the one off movies are going to have the ":A Star Wars Story" after the official name to distinguish them from the numbered movies.

It hits theatres in the US May 25, 2018.

Are we excited?

message 2: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments I'm cautiously excited; but given the directorial changes & the other behind-the-scenes stuff, I'll have to wait to see some reviews first!

message 3: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3871 comments I'll see it, but am not rushing out. Maybe second weekend. The first weekend is sure to be jam packed.

message 4: by Joel (new)

Joel | 235 comments Still don't get why they didn't just call it Han Solo. Why shorten it to Solo? Or why not come up with a more unique title?

message 5: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Poor old Chewie. There all the way with Han and he gets left out, once again.

description

Solo and Chewbacca: A Star Wars Story

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8193 comments Poster revealed:

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 236 comments Joel wrote: "Still don't get why they didn't just call it Han Solo. Why shorten it to Solo? Or why not come up with a more unique title?"

They could have combined it with Episode 4 and called it Hope Solo.

What? Is that already taken?

message 8: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8193 comments Randy wrote: "Joel wrote: "Still don't get why they didn't just call it Han Solo. Why shorten it to Solo? Or why not come up with a more unique title?"

They could have combined it with Episode 4 and called it Hope Solo."

Relevant:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Todd_Spenc...

message 9: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Trike wrote: "Poster revealed:"

That must be an American thing :-?

This is a geeky Aussie party :-)

description

message 10: by Phil (last edited Oct 18, 2017 05:53PM) (new)

Phil | 1136 comments Dave, the red cup is a Solo Cup.
I didn't know that till a short time ago either.

message 11: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Oct 18, 2017 09:09PM) (new)

Phil wrote: "Dave, the red cup is a Solo Cup.
I didn't know that till a short time ago either."

We are so ingrained with US culture that I usually get the references. Not so that one.

message 12: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1616 comments Nothing new from the recently released synopsis:

http://mashable.com/2018/01/16/solo-s...

With all the problems during the making, I guess I will just watch it with low expectations.

message 13: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8193 comments It is kind of weird that we haven’t even seen a teaser yet, considering it’s coming out in 4 months.

Maybe they don’t want to repeat the Rogue One “trailer versus movie” foofawrah where it was obvious to even the most inattentive viewers that the film had been reshot at the last minute.

Most of the current reactions I’ve seen so far have been decidedly “meh”, but that could all change if they have a spectacular trailer.

message 14: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1616 comments Yeah, I have been thinking the same thing - they could ride the TLJ hype and apparently decided not to. I guess we'll see. Looking forward to watch Donald Glover.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 236 comments Han Solo was my idol when I was 9. I'm going to see this movie no matter how bad it is, but I'm hoping of course that it turns out to be good.

message 16: by Fredrik (new)

Fredrik (fredurix) | 217 comments I'm very disappointed that it isn't called KESSEL RUN and follows a madcap trans-galactic smuggling competition.

message 17: by John (Taloni) (last edited Jan 17, 2018 03:16PM) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3871 comments Oooh! "Kessel Run" could be a tall tale competition, where smugglers make up stories like how they totally meant to say Parsecs for a unit of time when everyone knows it's for distance.

message 18: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1318 comments The thing I heard was this was going to have a western vibe, just as Rogue One had an espionage vibe. Two solid movies in a row, if they get three, the old record of 2 and a half is broken.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 236 comments I thought we were in trouble there for a second but it's fine. We're fine.

TV Spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Szts...

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNW0B...

message 20: by Ian (RebelGeek) (new)

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 519 comments I’m really excited for the movie! The Sober Bowl spot was great! In the old Legends novels, they explained the Kessel Run. I’m curious to see if they kept the old explanation or made up a new one.

message 21: by Viola (new)

Viola | 185 comments I'm skipping this one. Watched the trailer, it was okay but didn’t feel an overwhelming need to see it or even a Star Wars vibe.

message 22: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8193 comments The trailer did nothing for me. It looks competently made but not interesting in the slightest.

message 23: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3871 comments Randy wrote: "I thought we were in trouble there for a second but it's fine. We're fine. "

I can't take any of the new movies seriously, so have no concerns. This is likely to be bubblegum fun.

message 24: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8193 comments I just watched it again and one thing stood out for me this time: the Millennium Falcon is different. The front end is a triangle rather than a fork. Is the front end supposed to open and close like vise grips or something?

message 25: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2778 comments This might be fine. It's not "OMG DAY 1" but few movies are for me.

I liked Rogue One a lot but I also think they need a plan like Marvel Studios had. We have one more mainline film in this trilogy and then the Skywalker story is done. What's the plan for the next 'mainline' films? For the off cycle films? At some point they have to stop mining the first 3 and start other stories. Unlike Marvel, they don't have a large series of canon fiction to fall back on and so far they're not setting up anything from the animated series, etc. They have revived Thrown in the new canon but very few movie fans will know him or care.

message 26: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1532 comments Rick wrote: "Unlike Marvel, they don't have a large series of canon fiction to fall back on and so far they're not setting up anything from the animated series, etc. They have revived Thrown in the new canon but very few movie fans will know him or care."

Like you mentioned they may not have a trove of canonical material, but only because they decided to throw a few babies out with the bathwater a few years back, and those stories do still exist and can be mined. I actually think a comparison to Marvel is a good one, not a bad one. I mean how many of the fans generated by the the Iron Man or Thor movies (not old school comic book fans) knew anything about the "Guardians of the Galaxy", Antman, or Black Panther? Yet those have done pretty darn well (looks like for BP). I do agree with you that with out George heading up all things Star Wars, there really should be a game plan in place, especially for the movies, but with the money they've made so far, you can't argue with that success. If they have a flop, the reins may get tightened up, but for now I think Disney will let that department just run for a bit.

message 27: by Joel (new)

Joel | 235 comments The part that stood out to me most was the short glimpse of what looked like a possible gun duel with a group of Mandalorians, if they are Mandalorians.

message 28: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8193 comments Nice look at the Millennium Falcon: https://geektyrant.com/news/heres-our...

message 29: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Rick wrote: "I liked Rogue One a lot but I also think they need a plan like Marvel Studios had. We have one more mainline film in this trilogy and then the Skywalker story is done. What's the plan for the next 'mainline' films? For the off cycle films? "

They already have Rian Johnson developing the next trilogy, and they announced the GoT guys are working on a second one.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 236 comments Sean wrote: "They already have Rian Johnson developing the next trilogy, and they announced the GoT guys are working on a second one. "

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are actually working on a series of films set in the SW universe, but "trilogy" has not been mentioned. So it could be longer than three films. Hopefully they won't have to wait for the George R.R. Martin novels to be completed first...

message 31: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2778 comments What worries me, though, is that we haven't seen anything to set up those future films. Yes, Marvel films like Guardians weren't setup either, but they also came after several films with different focuses - the Iron Man films, Thor, a couple of Avengers films, etc. You had a sense of Tony Stark, of Asgaard and we got glimpses of Thanos so we knew this shadowy threat was out there.

My concern with SW is that everything revolves pretty tightly around the Skywalkers and the events of the first trilogy. We don't, from the films, have a sense of the rest of the empire and what it involves. More than having a trilogy here and there I think they need some plan like Marvel's phases where there are a series of movies that all come together, spawning a new phase. Of course, I'm sure they're far more aware of this than I, so I'm not really worried... just wondering how they'll do this.

message 32: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8193 comments I finally saw the second trailer.

https://youtu.be/jPEYpryMp2s

So... it’s basically the train robbery episode from Firefly? The one that Whedon and Minear literally wrote over a weekend?

https://youtu.be/rYEnB2iMg1Y

message 33: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1532 comments I figured it was a train job after the first trailer, but yea this confirmed it. Well done heist films are some of my favorite movies. They are sort of like good detective films, just with the protagonist on the opposite side. So this got me thinking about if there were enough train robbery films to make a unique genre unto itself, and I think possibly there are. But I got sidetracked.

(Another pedantic rant ahead.)

In looking up lists of heist films something stood out to me like a sore thumb. Many of these lists considered "Die Hard" a heist movie. I'm sorry, but no, no it is not. Just because a film has a heist in it, does not make it a heist film. If the protagonist is trying to thwart the heist, then it is a detective film. "Heat" may be one film that walks the line, but I would still give it a nod to being more about the thieves then the cops.

Calling "Die Hard" a heist movie, because there is a heist in it, is like calling it a Christmas movie because it takes place in late December... Oh, never mind.

message 34: by Rick (last edited Apr 09, 2018 08:37AM) (new)

Rick | 2778 comments Uh.... Han Solo came before Mal Reynolds. You could make an argument that Mal's a riff on Han's untold backstory. Not that I'd do that....

message 35: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8193 comments Rick wrote: "Uh.... Han Solo came before Mal Reynolds. You could make an argument that Mal's a riff on Han's untold backstory. Not that I'd do that...."

I’m talking about the story. The Train Job, 2002. Solo, 2018.

It even has similar jokes.

Did they think people weren’t going to notice? It’s not like Firefly is super famous and beloved within the core target demographic or anything.

message 36: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8193 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "In looking up lists of heist films something stood out to me like a sore thumb."

...and now you know my pain whenever a genre discussion comes up. :p

message 37: by Rick (last edited Apr 09, 2018 10:17AM) (new)

Rick | 2778 comments Trike wrote: "Rick wrote: "Uh.... Han Solo came before Mal Reynolds. You could make an argument that Mal's a riff on Han's untold backstory. Not that I'd do that...."

I’m talking about the story. The Train Job,..."

What's Firefly? Is that the movie before Serenity?

More seriously... Star Wars isn't really targeted at just the core demo. I'd bet a good 70% of the audience for a Star Wars flick read 0-3 SF books a year and haven't seen or only dimly remember Firefly.

message 38: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3871 comments I'm meh on this one. The wife is excited. All in all we'll likely see opening weekend. I'm not expecting much. Well, there will be good popcorn and soda, and good special effects. Story? If I want that I should go see Black Panther again.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 236 comments Thanks for posting that link Trike. I know this is the anti-hip thing to say but this movie looks ludicrously fun. Sorry, haters.

message 40: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 286 comments I’m hoping that’s Malla hugging Chewie. His backstory never gets any love in the films.

message 41: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1616 comments That Donald Glover is da bomb! 😍😍

Sorry, I didn't really pay attention to anything else. Han's never been my fave character. Just take my money, Disney.

message 42: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1276 comments I assume all new Star Wars movies will be crap. That way I can be pleasantly surprised and not disappointed.

For a much better trailer (recut with Sabotage) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TPY4...

message 43: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8193 comments I don’t get it.

message 44: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3871 comments Iain wrote: "I assume all new Star Wars movies will be crap. That way I can be pleasantly surprised and not disappointed. "

So. Much. THIS!

message 45: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Rick wrote: "Uh.... Han Solo came before Mal Reynolds. You could make an argument that Mal's a riff on Han's untold backstory. Not that I'd do that...."

Nah, Mal is Jesse James with all the problematic aspects removed (instead of a murderous ex-Confederate terrorist, he's a roguish ex-Brown Coat smuggler).

message 46: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8193 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Iain wrote: "I assume all new Star Wars movies will be crap. That way I can be pleasantly surprised and not disappointed. "

So. Much. THIS!"

Yeah, that was the opinion I expressed on a recent Star Wars thread, maybe about Rogue One or Last Jedi: as long as the movie isn’t aggressively idiotic like Empire Strikes Back or Force Awakens, I give it a pass.

I think the reasons this movie doesn’t interest me are pretty basic:

1) It’s a Star Wars prequel. Aside from Rogue One, they’ve been garbage.

2) It’s leaning heavily on ESB, which I hate.

3) It has a “been there done that” feel to it.

4) The Game of Thrones actress hasn’t impressed me in anything other than GoT. In that show her stilted and stiff delivery works, but in everything else it’s annoying.

Related thought to #3, I’m kind of getting that vibe about The Incredibles 2, as well, which really looks a lot like that episode of The Brady Bunch where the guys and girls switched jobs. I assume it will be entertaining, but the trailers aren’t selling me on it. Which is a shame because I *love* The Incredibles.

message 47: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1276 comments Trike wrote: "John (Taloni) wrote: "Iain wrote: "I assume all new Star Wars movies will be crap. That way I can be pleasantly surprised and not disappointed. "

So. Much. THIS!"

Yeah, that was the opinion I exp..."

Off topic but I have a lot of hope for the Incredibles 2. My guess is midlife crisis number 2.... Mum goes back to work.

message 48: by John (Nevets) (last edited May 25, 2018 02:29PM) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1532 comments So, I saw this last night. Liked it a lot. Had a lot of fun set pieces, but it leaned pretty hard into being a checklist film, but while predictable, I'm OK with that.

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that folks that preferred the direction the franchise was going with R1 and Last Jedi, will be more disappointed in this film, and likewise those that didn't like that direction may enjoy this one more. I was split on those films, liking Last Jedi a good amount, but not as thrilled with R1. From an enjoyment standpoint, I probably had more fun time with this film, but I can also understand those that would think it is a step backwards in terms of advancing what the Star Wars universe is. It is more like TFA in that it is a more classic story told in a comfortable (to me) way. I'll be curious to see others points of view on this.

Silvana is correct. "That Donald Glover is da bomb! 😍😍" He steels every seen he is in, and there are a fair number of them. His copilot the robot is good, but is a combo of R2 and C3P0, and that doesn't always work.

One of my favorite surprises early on was (view spoiler) You can also tell that the writers were fans of the recent animated series, and had some easter eggs in there from those.

message 49: by Bill (new)

Bill | 105 comments Saw it today. Thought it was pretty good but like John said it is predictable. I preferred Rogue One because it was all characters that were new to me and this I didn’t know their fate. Donald Glover was great and I liked seeing him in a big budget movie.

message 50: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments Saw it. Very good overall movie. ‎Alden Ehrenreich is very good in the role even if I have trouble picturing him as a younger Harrison Ford. LIke John said it is kind of a checklist film in that if it was referenced about Han's past its in the film.

Definite twist at the end which made no sense to me - if you've seen it you know what it is. I ended up googling it and apparently it ties in heavily to the Star Wars Cartoon series that bridge the gap between Ep 3 and Ep 4 and if you've seen those you can figure it out. But if your only movies you'll be scratching your head like I was.

« previous 1