Addicted to YA discussion

Recommendations > YA Male POV/Romance/Paranormal/Fantasy series recommendations??

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Bloom | 2 comments So my struggle as a male is trying to find a YA series that is from a male's POV. It's very tiresome trying to sludge through all of the cookie cutter Katniss Everdeen, Clary Fray, and Tris Prior impressionists that are served up as the female lead in what hopes to be the next big YA teen novel that earns itself a movie adaption. That's not to say that these are not great characters, but it cannot be denied that these have certainly served as the molds in which many new YA novels have tried to replicate. I find it very difficult to invest myself in novels with female characters as the lead (from a female POV) and trying to relate to them. Some of the books that I've read in the past which I have absolutely LOVED are the "Beautiful Creatures" series by Kami Garcia, the "Sky Fall" series by Shannon Messenger, and most recently (and surprisingly) the gender swapped Twilight reimagining "Life and Death" by Stephanie Meyer. So basically, YA, Male POV, Romance, Paranormal/Fantasy themes. I also quite like the concept of the male main character ending up being the powerless one while his female interest is the one with special abilities (as in Life and Death and Beautiful Creatures). I do like myself a good bit of romance lol. Has anyone read any of these series' and know of any other series that I might find easy to get myself lost in?

message 2: by Justine (new)

Justine Manzano (justine_manzano) Have you tried Zoraida Cordova's series, Vicious Deep? It's a fun fantasy starring a male merman protagonist. Don't let the merman thing fool you. You'll enjoy it. ;)

message 3: by Felicia (last edited Oct 18, 2017 07:50AM) (new)

Felicia Have you read Legend by Marie Lu? It's a dual POV of two main characters. One male, Day. One female, June. It's one of my favorite series. Maybe you'd like that one? I definitely recommend it.

message 4: by Curtis (new)

Curtis | 602 comments The Underland chronicles by Suzanne Collins

message 5: by Grace (new)

Grace How about An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir? Similar to what @Felicia recommended, this first book has a dual POV - one male, one female. There's a lot of substance and heart in this series. The writing is fantastic and beautiful. And, there's romance!

I think it's a refreshing change to hear a guy admit that he actually enjoys reading romance. We need to hear more of that so that it's part of the norm rather than an anomaly.

message 6: by idiffer (new)

idiffer I'm not aloooone! I'll be back with recs.

message 7: by Justine (new)

Justine Manzano (justine_manzano) Oh! Have you read Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. It’s more of an ensemble cast and there are male and female povs.

message 8: by idiffer (new)

message 9: by Taiwo (new)

Taiwo | A Lifestyle Nerd  (alifestylenerd) The Red Rising series by Pierce Brown has several male leads. The first book (Red Rising) also has a bit of gore if you're into that sort of thing.

message 10: by L.C. (last edited Oct 23, 2017 08:46AM) (new)

L.C. Perry | 700 comments Infinity (Chronicles of Nick, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Male POV with romance and fantasy!
Eighth Grade Bites (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #1) by Heather Brewer Male POV, paranormal. LOVED this book
First Kill (The Slayer Chronicles, #1) by Heather Brewer It's part of the series I mentioned before this one, but it's with a different male character and it's a companion series
Monument 14 (Monument 14, #1) by Emmy Laybourne Main male character, apocalyptic, romance. Also loved this book
Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman I second Unwind! Great book