Our Shared Shelf discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ash (new)

Ash (goodreadscomashna_gulati2609) | 205 comments Dear OSS,

Recently,A really moving commercial was launched by the automobile company Skôda.

The link for this commercial,

https://youtu.be/X0xHwGTUzq8

It translates a very important message about the use of power.It could be beautiful and it could be ugly.

In lieu with the current state of affairs in the world with people like Trump and Kim at high positions of power,we are at the brink of a possible world war.

In such moments of world direst,should things go sideways,do we have the ability to defy norms?To not give in to the ugliness of such power?To not let political animosity seep down to individual level?

If given a chance would we use the THE POWER OF WE in a beautiful way or in an ugly way?

Further,we have been at the very heights of backlash against the feminist movements on various accounts this year.Should we consider it a painful transition or a handicapped future ?

This is the question I propose to you.How can we use our 205K strong power of WE (OSS) to change the current state of affairs in the world?

All our constructive criticism here,the thoughtful topics and support couldn't have been a waste in all it's power.There could be something we could do as members of OSS to voice our passionate voices for change.

I'd love to here all your suggestions.

Yours,
Ashna :)

message 2: by Ash (new)

Ash (goodreadscomashna_gulati2609) | 205 comments Please do watch the commercial.One and a half minute can change how you perceive things.Atleast it did for me.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 267 comments my personal power has gone toward learning and living my life as an empowered woman, and passing that down to my daughters. they, in turn, have lived their lives as empowered women. the number of lives we've touched, just the three of us, can't be guessed.

part of our power can always go toward standing up for ourselves, to not letting convention stop us from getting our needs met, and for confronting issues as we see them in our everyday lives. i think we must never underestimate the power of one.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 194 comments When I think of "using the power of we" a few things come to mind, some fictional some historical. On Christmas day during World War II (I believe it was II, it might have been the first world war though... I get them mixed up. At any rate it was during a World War) The soldiers on both sides called a truce and met in No Man's land to celebrate Christmas together. I think of The Hunger Games when the people of the lower districts held up their two fingers in sign of protest and support of Katniss as well as defiance against the Capital. I think of the "gay parades" and the football players kneeling during the anthem (whatever your stance on that situation, it is a group coming together). You mentioned another World War might be in our future, and it made me think of every soldier refusing to fight in it (though I realize how unlikely that is). I've had conversations with people, talking about how if more people had realized how many Germans and Nazis didn't actually support Hitler but were just afraid of him, they could have realized they had the numbers to stop the persecutions themselves, they wouldn't have had to fear him anymore because his numbers were a mass of people afraid of his power (I am aware there were other factors and that Germany was hurting at that time and Hitler offered salvation, and that the support Hitler received does go beyond fear, but more people than not did not agree with the persecution of the Jewish communities).

As for what we can do in OSS, I don't know anyone personally in this group. I know few people outside of this group who identify as a feminist. My best friend refuses to identify as a feminist though she shares our beliefs because she views the term as an unnecessary label. What I do is I talk to my friends, I talk to people who will listen and have conversations with me. Prior to joining this group I was an extremely passive feminist. I did not identify as a feminist until about a year prior to joining this group (Spring 2016) because I viewed feminism as something of the past that was around during our fight for women's right to vote. I had that viewpoint because that's how school showed me feminism. But I still wanted gender equality. I did things without even realizing that I was making motions toward gender equality. I fought with my ex on matters that I didn't know were ways in which I was showing I am equal to him. I explained away my behavior as being raised in a largely female household - my mom, my sister, and I; visits to my dad; my mom's second husband and a few boyfriends along the way.

Since joining OSS, I've become a far more active feminist. When I hold the door open for someone (guy, girl, old, young) I do it because it's a courtesy and nothing else should matter. I carry my own shopping bags unless I need my hands for something, then I'll ask my fiance to hold them while I do whatever I need to do. I cook because I'm the one that knows how to cook, not because I'm a woman, etc. I talk to people when they listen. I love having conversations and seeing other peoples' points of view. A friend of mine has lamented to me about his stresses at a convention he helps run and the sexual assaults that can (and do) happen and the lack of help from the hotel allowing them to host the convention there because "they can't prove it actually happened." He is one of three feminists I know personally - the other two being another friend and my fiance. My fiance did not identify as a feminist prior to this year. He didn't give the term or the movement that much thought. This year, having joined OSS, I talked to him about topics we talked about. I asked him to open his mind and give me his opinion. One day, I asked him if he considered himself a feminist. He thought about it for a while with no answer, so I asked him if he knew what that meant, and he told me know. So I explained to him, it means wanting equality. It means women aren't viewed as week just because they're women; men aren't viewed as stoic because they're men. It means anything a man can do, a woman has the right and opportunity to do as well; anything a woman can do, a man has the right and opportunity to do - excluding any biological constraints on either side, such as child birth. And he told me, "then, yeah, I guess I'm a feminist."

I guess this was a really long way of me saying, what I try to do since joining this group is just make sure people are aware of what feminism actually means and try to teach them and enlighten them about the movement. Next fall, I'll hopefully be running a classroom of my own (I'll be graduating this spring) and I want to teach my students to treat each other as equals. I want to utilize HeforShe and adapt their suggestions to my classroom. I will have the power to touch the minds of thousands, and I want them to leave my classroom better off than when they came in - filled with more knowledge, understanding, compassion. I will face the difficulties of being a woman in mathematics - of being a woman period with the cultures some of my students will be coming from - and I want to eliminate that as a factor of my teaching within the first quarter of every year, at least in the eyes of my students.

I got a little rambley, but I hope this somewhat answers your question how we can use OSS to make a difference. I guess the most relevant part of this is to talk to people who are willing about the topics we discuss here.

message 5: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments OSS embodies the power of we of us if people working discussing. Promoting education and knowledge. Sexims is largely ignorance what better defence that @oursharedshelf

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1080 comments Mod
I would love to see an intentional work done on literacy given that this is our bread and butter here at OSS.

This could take shape in an OSS approved
- book drive for local libraries
- tutoring hours for local schools
- or giving to specific charities like Dolly Parton's Imagination Library or the UN's Literacy Projects.

The EIG submitted their report on Distressed Communities Index which stated that people in distressed (extreme poverty) communities a fourth of the population are without high school diplomas. Even more drastic, in the States, it's estimated that while families with $50k or more annual income that the ratio of books to children is 13:1. While below $50k annual income it's 1:300!!!

message 7: by Ash (new)

Ash (goodreadscomashna_gulati2609) | 205 comments Sandra wrote: "my personal power has gone toward learning and living my life as an empowered woman, and passing that down to my daughters. they, in turn, have lived their lives as empowered women. the number of l..."

Yes Sandra,it is very true that power of one should not be underestimated.Also,we must know that many ones make a We.

:)

message 8: by Ash (new)

Ash (goodreadscomashna_gulati2609) | 205 comments Ashley wrote: "When I think of "using the power of we" a few things come to mind, some fictional some historical. On Christmas day during World War II (I believe it was II, it might have been the first world war ..."

Ashley,first off thank you for such a detailed description of what feminism has meant to you.

I am really happy that you are using your powers in a beautiful way.I am sure we can all learn to do the same.

All the best to you!!

message 9: by Ash (new)

Ash (goodreadscomashna_gulati2609) | 205 comments Keith wrote: ""Whatever your power, it should be beautiful"

@Sandra - the power of the individual should never be overlooked, but the power of the group, of the whole, will be what makes change possible for al..."

Keith,there couldn't be a better summarisation of today's world in one piece.I absolutely love it.

Also,I second you on the thing that we must act as WE to foster the power of it in all it's glory.

I really feel that there is a lack of participation and real views on OSS lately.

All I would say is,Feminism isn't something you brand yourself with and forget all about it.Hope people understand that.

message 10: by Ash (new)

Ash (goodreadscomashna_gulati2609) | 205 comments Ross wrote: "OSS embodies the power of we of us if people working discussing. Promoting education and knowledge. Sexims is largely ignorance what better defence that @oursharedshelf"

Yes,sure Ross.But as Keith mentioned,the quality of arguments can only be bettered by participation rather than silent viewing.

message 11: by Ash (new)

Ash (goodreadscomashna_gulati2609) | 205 comments Pam wrote: "I would love to see an intentional work done on literacy given that this is our bread and butter here at OSS.

This could take shape in an OSS approved
- book drive for local libraries
- tutoring ..."

Those statistics are really distressing ,Pam.But I do think that we could adopt your wonderful suggestions for the betterment of education.

Education is the key and we must all work toward it as a catalyst of real development.

message 12: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments The #PowerofWe is probably the strongest we have. The one with the most impact on a society.
I agree with many here - with Keith that it is really a bit sad that we are so many but only so few of us speak. We could be a storm that tears down a lot, now we are nothing more than a chill breeze.
With Ross that education is key to so many issues.
Thank you Ashley for telling us so much - it shows us that you can be an inadvertant feminist too.
Pam, these statistics are distressing, and I would love to adopt your (or similar) strategies into the world out there.

What we mustn't forget tho is that as a WE, we have to think of everyone, and not can't allow ourselves to forget someone.

P.S.: I love topics like this one.

message 13: by Ragini (new)

Ragini  (theunreadshelfies) | 12 comments Hello? I wanted to ask how am I supposed to start a thread in this shelf. if anyone could help me?

message 14: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Ragini wrote: "Hello? I wanted to ask how am I supposed to start a thread in this shelf. if anyone could help me?"

You go to the folder in which you want to have it, and then in the upper right corner above the threads you see "Create a topic".

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 267 comments when i mentioned the power of one, and gave the example of my daughters going out into the world as feminists, i was referring to the domino effect. i, as one, became 3, with my daughters, and they have also chosen friends who are feminists - and everyone included add to the power of 'we'.

they may not be on this forum (and, by the by, i agree with everyone that more inclusion helps our movement grow), but they are living their beliefs in their families, with their children, at their jobs, communicating and setting examples.

this, in turn, spreads into the community and grows in its own right. educating our children is absolutely necessary to help them discover their own sets of values in order to live by them as they go about their daily lives.

as a group we strengthen each other so that each individual can live as they believe. again, this sets examples for others, helps us have coherent and meaningful conversations with those who are confused or on the fence, and gives us that sense of belonging that is o so important.

with the way of the world today, we need each other more than ever. i encourage anyone who is a member to take the risk and let your voice be heard.