CityReads discussion

D.N.F. / Abandoned books

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlee reads) (kimberlee_reads) | 21 comments Mod
I’m usually a stickler for finishing books I start but lately I’ve realized it’s just not worth it. There are too many GREAT books I could be reading instead of spending my time on something I’m not enjoying.

I recently gave up on Pride and Prejudice. I know it’s a popular classic but man, was that book boring! I think I made it 50 pages. I try to apply the 50 page rule (I read about this somewhere but don’t remember where). I’ll push through the first 50 pages but if I’m still bored, I abandon it.

Let’s keep a record here of books you started and gave up on. It can be during this challenge or previously. What books have you abandoned and WHY?

message 2: by Macy (new)

Macy | 23 comments Most of the books I have abandoned have been ridiculously boring books that my mom made me check out from the library. The one book that I can remember making the conscious choice to abandon was this book called Well Wished which I abandoned in 3rd grade. It was recommended to me from one of my friends in elementary school. For some reason I absolutely hated it. It was really weird and creepy (The main character grew eyes out of his hands)and the whole book really disgusted me for some reason. I persevered for 2/3 of the book and then gave up on it.

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara | 19 comments I abandoned *drum roll* Twilight! This book is quite annoying and you learn that if your weak and annoying Edward will save you. Also the logic that the characters have and how they try and cover up lies with lies is terrible. Also you know that he is a vampire so why not just get into the real story rather than dragging it out by having him say, don’t be friends with me and then, wanna go to Arizona!

message 4: by Masao (new)

Masao H | 8 comments I abandoned The 4th book of the Harry Potter series. I think it was just because I was 200 pages in and things weren't getting interesting. I liked all the books before that one but I just didn't want to stick with it.

message 5: by Mia (new)

Mia | 17 comments I abandoned the book The Phantom Tollbooth because like eighty pages into the book there was pointless drama and repetition of some scenes and not a lot of dialogue!!!!!

message 6: by Mia (new)

Mia | 17 comments Tara wrote: "I abandoned *drum roll* Twilight! This book is quite annoying and you learn that if your weak and annoying Edward will save you. Also the logic that the characters have and how they try and cover u..."
Which book in the Twilight series did you abandon??
-Tara

message 7: by TinyBabyBat (new)

TinyBabyBat | 7 comments I abandoned the Iliad because it had at least 5 really long names in each paragraph and I didn't understand many words. The story also made no sense

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara | 19 comments Mia wrote: "I abandoned *drum roll* Twilight! This book is quite annoying and you learn that if your weak and annoying Edward will save you. Also the logic that the characters have and how they try and cover u..."
Which book in the Twilight series did you abandon??
-Tara"

I have read all of the books but I was rereading them for the 40 book challenge and then I remembered how bad they were and I decided to just give up on it and not even bother with the other ones.

message 9: by audrey (new)

audrey (audreymckenna) | 14 comments I recently abandoned The Impossible Knife of Memory because it's really depressing and sad, and I wasn't interested in it. It's by the same author as Speak, which I haven't read yet but is supposed to be good. I'm planning on reading Speak next, and I hope it's really good!

message 10: by Jude (new)

Jude | 4 comments I did not finish reading the Westing game. I did not like the way it was written.

message 11: by Georgia (new)

Georgia :-) | 11 comments Over the summer, I abandoned The Book Thief. I'm not sure how much I disliked this book, as much as I just found it to be an overly sad story, and something I could see causing me a lot of upset in the coming plot.

message 12: by Tara (new)

Tara | 19 comments I tried, but I couldn't read it. The book was New Moon, one of the twilight books. I absolutely hated the first book but my friend told me to try reading the second one because it's mostly Jacob not Edward in it. Sadly I couldn't even read to the third chapter.

message 13: by Maddy (new)

Maddy :) | 6 comments In 4th grade I abandoned To kill a Mockingbird (which I re-read over the break and LOVED) mostly due to the fact that I wasn't able to completely understand the plot of the story. At the same age I gave up on Lord of the Rings because it was honestly too long for me. I wasn't much of a reader that year.

message 14: by dalila (new)

dalila | 14 comments Tara wrote: "I tried, but I couldn't read it. The book was New Moon, one of the twilight books. I absolutely hated the first book but my friend told me to try reading the second one because it's mostly Jacob no..."

I did the exact same thing with the same book. I had forced myself through Twilight and since this took up 2 out of the 4 slots for the Fantasy genre, I thought "well why not, i'll just continue the series and fill up the next two slots." This was a mistake though and I quit reading the book after about a chapter, stopping on the same day that I started it.

message 15: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Shnayderman | 7 comments a book I found realllyyyyyy boring was the odessy. There wasn't anything fun about it. It was one of those old fashioned books. Thee was a storyline, but it took to long to get to the good parts.

message 16: by Cleo (new)

Cleo | 13 comments I usually finish most of the books I start, but I recently stopped reading CRANK by Ellen Hopkins. I don´t really know what happened. At one point it just wasn´t interesting anymore. The story line was little bit rocky, and their wasn´t a lot of interesting events in it. In the beginning it was interesting, but now the author slowed down on her speed of writing, and I stopped reading.

message 17: by Shani (new)

Shani | 10 comments Like many have said, I typically finish the books I start, but one book that was just too difficult to keep reading was Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I had heard a lot of good things about this book so I was excited to read it. But after I started reading I noticed that it took forever for me to get into the book, because nothing really interesting was happening. Because the book was really slow in my opinion is why I dropped the book.

message 18: by Ka'She (new)

Ka'She Ross (kashe) | 5 comments Well, I had problems trying to finish the books that was boring

message 19: by audrey (new)

audrey (audreymckenna) | 14 comments I recently started reading The Nightingale, an interesting historical fiction book, but I'm considering giving up on it. I'm already reading another historical fiction book, that would complete the requirement for historical fiction (not my favorite genre). I'm currently only on about page 30 in The Nightingale, so I wouldn't be giving up too much of my reading time.

message 20: by audrey (new)

audrey (audreymckenna) | 14 comments I recently gave up on the book All The Bright Places. Not because it wasn't any good, I simply had too many other books I was prioritizing over this one. There are so many books that I want to read, so I'm focusing on those right now. I'll probably read this book at some point, though.

message 21: by Mia (new)

Mia | 17 comments Twilight I just could not keep reading so I gave up on it and thats that

message 22: by audrey (new)

audrey (audreymckenna) | 14 comments Yesterday I gave up on reading Anansi Boys because it was slow-moving and pretty dull so far. I may possibly pick it up again at some point in the future, because I don't generally like giving up on books. (I mean, the author put so much time and effort into writing it!) But we'll see.

message 23: by audrey (new)

audrey (audreymckenna) | 14 comments I just gave up on reading Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children for many reasons:
1. My book club was planning on reading it but decided to do separate books instead.
2. It's very dull so far.
3. I finished the 40 book challenge!!!
4. It's due at the library
So yeah. I've been abandoning books quite a lot lately, which disappoints me, but I simply can't commit to these books right now. Ah, well.