CityReads discussion

Worst book ever.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlee reads) (kimberlee_reads) | 21 comments Mod
What books did you absolutely LOATHE? These could be books you read on your own or for a class.

In 10th grade I had to read The Scarlet Letter and it was the WORST. Just pages and pages of boring description.

message 2: by Macy (new)

Macy | 23 comments When I was in third grade I read a book called Well Wished. For some reason I absolutely hated it. I quit reading it 2/3 of the way through. My grandfather once made me read this 1,000 page book on Darwin called The Origin (not The Origin of Species) It was the most boring book ever, but somehow I persevered and finished it. Another book I hated was Brothers of the Buffalo. This was a book my mom made me read from the library which was about a really boring war I had never even heard of.

message 3: by marlise (new)

marlise (husky101) | 7 comments A book I absoultely HAAAAATE is (sorry) the Twilight Saga. The pain and agony I endured while finishing the first book recently, was absolutely unbearable. I realy disliked the way the main character, Bella, acted. She is a terrible role model and has no strengths at all. I JUST started the second book, New Moon, and the chances of myself actually finishing the series, are quite low at the moment.

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara | 19 comments I have to agree with Marlise, I hate the Twilight books because they make Bella look helpless, make her look dumb, Mack Edward look dumb, make Edward confusing and on top of it they have very bad problem solving skills. Also the plot gets really annoying after a while and you want them to just be together because you know that it will happen but they don’t need to drag it out with him saying, don’t be with me, I mean seriously! I have very strong feelings about this book as in I will probably never pick it up again and read it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Dairy Queen. It was recommended to me by a friend who loved it and at first I was really excited to read it. If I had known any better I would have burned it. It's depressing, slow, and has a terrible predictable plot. Do not read it and save yourself from the pain I had to endure.

message 6: by Masao (last edited Oct 19, 2017 05:11PM) (new)

Masao H | 8 comments I HATE The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It was so boring to read and had nothing interesting at all. Most of it was just talking about how hard it was to grow up and trying to find the cells which is fine but there was no story. i want a book where I can sit at the edge of my seat to read. This was not it.

message 7: by Macy (new)

Macy | 23 comments I have read a lot of the comments and it reminded me of another of my least favorite books. Another book I absolutely can't stand is the Twilight series. The main character, Bella, is described as a helpless girl who always gets hurt and can't take care of herself. Edward feels that he has to protect her. Bella is so reliant on him it is ridiculous. It is one of the worst series I have ever read and I do not plan on reading it again.

message 8: by Austin (new)

Austin | 15 comments In my elementary school I had to read fire girl, I hated it, it was the worst.

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara | 19 comments Yasss Macy, the Twilight series are terrible.

message 10: by Mr. Hat / Hayden (new)

Mr. Hat / Hayden (MisterHat) | 15 comments The most terrible book that I've ever read was called "Stone Fox". I had no idea that a mere 80 pages could completely ruin the first quarter of 5th grade but I was wrong.

"What is Stone Fox?" you ask. Stone Fox is an "Elementary School" book about some kid named "Little Willy" whose grandfather wants to die. He decides to join a dog sledding race to make his grandfather happy again but along the way, he gets hit by some American Indian named "Stone Fox". During the sled race, the dog dies out of nowhere and Stone Fox materializes into thin air and helps Willy win.

First of all, It's impossible to tell what age group this book is for. Stone Fox reads like and it as long as an Elementary book. At the same time, the plot is about Willy's grandfather who wants to die and his dog who also dies. It's impossible to tell who this book is for. Those who are mature enough to fully understand it will already be too old for its writing style but those who are young enough for the writing style are also too young to understand the story. It seems as if "Stone Fox" was made for an age group that doesn't exist.

Also, all the characters are terribly boring. Little Willy is completely perfect and is well liked by everyone. He never makes any mistakes and is always trying to do the right thing. I feel that my washing machine would make a more interesting character than Little Willy. At least it has actual flaws and isn't perfect, unlike Willy. Next, we have Stone Fox. He isn't as bad but he is barely even in the book and yet it is named after him. Stone Fox doesn't do very much besides punching Willy and helping him win the sled race. Finally, this leaves us with his grandfather whose name is never given. Grandfather spends the entire book lying in bed doing absolutely nothing other than occasionally groaning. Thankfully we rarely ever see him but still, he is a terrible character.

message 11: by Austin (new)

Austin | 15 comments This year I read absolutely true diary of a part time Indian. It was so boring and it just sucked so much.