All the Light We Cannot See All the Light We Cannot See discussion

(Spoilers) With regards to Werner and Marie-Laure, did Werner...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

mistress_muggle ...fall in love with her when they met? It's not that I'm looking for a romance between them, or think that there should be one - it's simply that Werner's thoughts seemed to hint at some romantic attachment, however brief, however subtle. Perhaps yet another invisible thread alluding to the title a little bit, as love/feelings are a type of "light we cannot see".

Thoughts?

Celine I am not sure if it was love. Personally, I would describe it as a fascination. He was intrigued by this girl and I think him being able to help her, was a very important part of his feelings towards her. Because up to this point he couldn't really do much (in regards to be helping other people during the war), but helping her might have made him feel like he did something good. Something that helped someone, and brought some "light" into their life.

message 3: by Samantha (last edited Jan 13, 2018 07:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samantha Yea, I think also the connection to her uncle made him feel like he had known her. After living such a dark life... and having no control. I think he did quickly develop a fascination, as Celine puts it, with her. Also, I think he admires her, this girl who persisted through such a dark time, while he had let himself be carried along with what was expected of him, the easy thing to do. I agree that she was his final chance to help someone and do something, that perhaps he wasn't supposed to, that was Right, for a change.

Jess Cuthbert I think he fell in love with her when he heard her voice and she became such a motivation for him to overcome what he was going through. It gave him the desire to be better and stand up for what is good.
My favourite part of the book is when he sees her for the first time and immediately knows it's her. Him describing her walk by, without being able to see him and almost touching him, was so powerful and beautifully written.
I was devastated over what happened to him and that they would never meet again. Although, there is something depressingly beautiful about them having only the one encounter.

Veronica I think Marie loved him because he died of the curse. Although, I can't understand why because she had thrown the diamond into the sea by then and so the curse should have been lifted. But Werner is rescued and he receives medical attention and yet he wastes away and gets progressively weaker until he stumbles out of the tent and is killed. And he didn't die from poisoning from the liquid they tried to drink while trapped under the hotel because the other guy survived just fine. He definitely dies of the curse. Which means Marie loved him.

Hazel Hyacinth Veronica wrote: "I think Marie loved him because he died of the curse. Although, I can't understand why because she had thrown the diamond into the sea by then and so the curse should have been lifted. But Werner i..."

Actually, if you have read the last few chapters of the novel, Marie-Laure handed over an iron key to Werner before joining the evacuees. As it turned out, the iron key unlocks the gutter, wherein Werner eventually retrieved the mini model of the house (tossed there by Marie-Laure as witnessed by Werner), without the knowledge that there was a cursed diamond inside. Thus, began his curse, as illustrated by Frau Elena and Jutta being raped respectively; Germany losing; and Werner dying.

... which brings into question why Werner died, considering how the curse was supposed to grant immortality to whoever bears it. But I digress.

Veronica No. He goes back and gets the house, but he leaves the diamond! There’s a passage from the POV of the diamond that indicates that. For whatever reason, he goes back for the house but discards the gem.

Jerilyn mistress_muggle wrote: "...fall in love with her when they met? It's not that I'm looking for a romance between them, or think that there should be one - it's simply that Werner's thoughts seemed to hint at some romantic ..."
Hello, I just joined this group mid-discussion. This was a beautifully written novel, so much compassion and inner conflict. I thought Marie-Laure was Werner's redemption. Even though he died to this life, she saved him. And isn't that what love does? Turns us outward, inspires us to put the other before self. It is light in darkness.

Diana I don't think so. They were just kindred souls. This was an excellent and sometimes hard to read book.