The Merciless Read A Long! discussion

Finished the book?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie (katesbookdate) | 3 comments Mod
If you've finished the book and want to have a full discussion on it, here's the place! If you haven't finished the book yet, proceed at your own risk! Spoilers are fair game here!

message 2: by Sydney (new)

Sydney ✨ | 3 comments Just curious what people thought the most gruesome part of this story was? It obviously gets super messed up and I found myself wanting to hide behind my hands but also needing to know what happened.

Personally, I think the whole fingernail thing was the worst to get through. It was soooo gross.

Books on Stereo | 7 comments Sydney wrote: "Just curious what people thought the most gruesome part of this story was? It obviously gets super messed up and I found myself wanting to hide behind my hands but also needing to know what happene..."

I didn't find it grotesque at all. Nothing, in particular, was disturbing in my opinion lol.

I loved the ending. I was like damn; I need the sequel asap!

message 4: by Sydney (new)

Sydney ✨ | 3 comments Well, I actually just finished the sequel a couple days ago and it was pretty good. Not the same dynamic as the first but still pretty good. I bought the prequel yesterday and I can’t wait to read that soon!

message 5: by Jack (new)

Jack Martin (jacklynemartin) | 1 comments I just finished the book and I am shook. I loved it so much.

message 6: by Darby (new)

Darby I don't typically read much horror, so I don't have much to compare this to, but I found this an entertaining, quick read. I read it in one sitting, so I was able to breeze past things that probably would have bothered me more if I had dipped in and out of the story.

There was nothing groundbreaking here, and like Katie said in her video, it did rely A LOT on the shock factor of the torture scenes. But even so, I enjoyed it for what it was! It helped put me in the Halloween spirit a bit, too!

message 7: by Paola (new)

Paola Ricardez (pricardeze) | 1 comments I started the book just as Katie uploaded the video where she said that she was planning to do a read along, I was soooo pumped because I was dying to read something creepy just to get in the halloween spirit; I went into it with really high expectations, since a lot of people said it was really creepy and stuff like that.
Just as Katie, I am conflicted about it.
I flew through it, I think the book had some kind of potential but the author didn't know how to exploit it. There were a lot of issues such as racism or bullying that the author could've acknowledged a little bit more but didn't.
I really hated Sofia, she was so whiny and agh! made me so frustrated...
But I must say that every single one the torture scenes really made me cringe, so did the one where cockroaches come out of Alexis' body.
I think it was kind of a dumb book, I kept rolling my eyes and literally started laughing at some points, but, in my opinion, it's the kind of bad book which you want to keep reading just to figure out what the author is going to come up with next, so for that matter, I actually liked it...

And I wasn't expecting the plot twist neither the cliffhanger at end AT ALL...
So... I'm currently reading the sequel haha. (don't judge me)

message 8: by Tracie (new)

Tracie (koiishi22) seems like i agree with a lot of the opinions here. It was an oookay book, wasn't thrilled with Brooklyn actually being a demon. Would have been better with a different type of story line i feel. Probably wouldn't read the rest of the series.