Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

BotM Discussion - FANTASY > Furies of Calderon - Oct BOM - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments This thread is for discussion of the Furies of Calderon - the October BOM.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments Chapter 2: Amara's trip into the Legion's camp was a very good entry into the story line. I like how the author details out the wind fury is offset by earth fury. Amara's burial and subsequent trials was very well done and maybe a bit unbelievable but very fast paced and introduces the reader to some of the points of what the magic is based on.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments Chapter 4: The author doesn't waste any time introducing us to Bernard's hold and the degenerate people and political intrigue within his holdings. Kord is a man you love to hate and his sons are no better.

Does anyone think it was too well set up? No surprise at all?

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments Chapter 9 and 10: Crud I really like that character. I hope the author has a really really good reason for taking that character out of action.

And the two MC's meet. Quite the storm - very exciting. Mud (earth) over wind - well set up and believable because of the previous chapters.

Only bone of contention - how do you throw salt into the wind?

message 5: by Murat Jenidi (new)

Murat Jenidi | 8 comments I believe you throw salt into the wind and the wind by nature moves the crystals but.....it is supposed to negate the effects of wind so in theory the salt should fall to the ground...If you pretend the salt is magical...then you will be better off lol

or the salt they use is more powder in nature than crystals we are used

I don't know...I just assumed the physics in their world allowed salt to be thrown.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie  (susiend104) | 265 comments So I first read this about 7 years ago and never finished the series. I've gotten more into Jim Butcher since, and thought I might like to, but that I should start over. Only two chapters in, a lot is coming back to me already, and I remember this being a fun, easy read. However, now that I know the magic system was inspired by Pokemon, it's all I can think about! Not necessarily bad and I'll push through, just throwing me off a bit.

message 7: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1892 comments Love this series, it has to be one of my favorites. The characters are great and its fast paced with action the whole way through.

I love the idea of people having furies to help them with their day to day lives, although I feel that they never get enough thanks.

I never really thought of the salt throwing being a problem, I just assumed the fact it was in the air near to the furies disrupted the effect that they have on it. Kind of like a circle of salt to keep magic out.

message 8: by N.E.C.C. (new)

N.E.C.C. | 125 comments I liked it but not that much. I didn't have a problem with the furies (like a lot of people), i really like it. The characters were fine (most of them).
It got boring a lot of times, specially the chapters that were about Tavi.

message 9: by DJNana (new)

DJNana This was the worst thing I've read this year. So for the last 2 months, there have been 2 awful recommendations, and two okay ones... bit of a mixed bag.