Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Nominations for January 2018

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (last edited Oct 22, 2017 08:31PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Hi everyone,

It's time to open nominations for our January 2018 Books of the Month. Each group member can make 1 science fiction and/or 1 fantasy nomination in this thread. If you would like to make a nomination, please reply to this post with the title and author of the book(s) you would like to put forward for the group’s consideration. A couple of suggestions to keep in mind:

1. Telling us a little about the book and why you think it would be a good group read can help get other members interested in reading (and voting for) your nomination.

2. To see if your nomination has already been read by the group, you can check:

a. the group's bookshelf for Previous Books of the Month

and/or

b. these threads:
Master List of Previous Books of the Month 2012-Present
Master List of Previous Books of the Month 2006-2011

Books the group has read in the past 2 years are not eligible for current consideration. Being chosen as a past BotM prior to that time is not an automatic disqualification, but be aware that it may hinder your nomination’s chances at the polls.

General guidelines:
• Feel free to re-nominate a book that didn’t win in the polls in previous months!
• For questions regarding specifics such as book formats, books in series, self-nomination and various rules for nominations, please see the group FAQ.
• Seconding isn't necessary in this group.
• Friendly discussion & debate is strongly encouraged, but let's please keep things civil.

Poll schedule:
• Nominations will remain open through Saturday, October 21.
• The first round of polls will open Sunday, October 22, and will run through Thursday, October 26.
• The run-off polls go up Friday, October 27, and will be open through Tuesday, October 31.

Thanks!

NOMINATIONS SO FAR:

SCIENCE FICTION:
The Cold Between by Elizabeth Bonesteel
An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon
Dauntless by Jack Campbell
The Book of the Unnamed Midwife by Meg Elison
Midnight at the Well of Souls by Jack L. Chalker
The Fireman by Joe Hill

FANTASY:
Sunshine by Robin McKinley
Magicians Impossible by Brad Abraham
Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards
La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman
Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold
Brown Girl in the Ring by Nalo Hopkinson

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 470 comments Sunshine by Robin McKinley. An alternate history/contemporary fantasy with an unusual twist on vampires.

message 4: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2240 comments Mod
For SF: This was featured on NPR recently and it looks fascinating and thought-provoking: An Unkindness of Ghosts.

No fantasy nom at the moment but if I think of something I'll come back!

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt Stainforth | 18 comments I've never nominated before so I hope this is right. I would like to put forward Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards for the fantasy category. It was one of the only books I've read where the characters drew me into the story way more than the plot. I was most impressed with the way the author handles the cadence of the different characters' speech. Best read of the year so far for me.

message 6: by Mary (last edited Oct 17, 2017 07:33PM) (new)

Mary Catelli | 470 comments Dauntless by Jack Campbell A high stakes tale of intersteller war. SF

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 67 comments How about - The Book of the Unnamed Midwife?
Looks interesting- decent ratings awards nominee

message 8: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 136 comments I'd like to nominate Midnight at the Well of Souls by Jack L. Chalker for SF.

First book in the acclaimed Well of Souls series, apparently can be read as a standalone and only £2.99 from Amazon UK.

Amazon blurb from tha Gateway Essentials edition :
"Entered by a thousand unsuspected gateways - built by a race lost in the clouds of time - Well World transforms creatures of any sort into different forms.

So, spacefarer Nathan Brazil is not surprised to find himself accompanied by a batman, an amorous female centaur and a mermaid as he sets out on his strange mission.

Yet Nathan Brazil's own metamorphosis is more terrifying than any of the others - and with the gradual return of his memory comes the secret of the Well World."

message 9: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Matt wrote: "I've never nominated before so I hope this is right. I would like to put forward Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards for the fantasy category. It was one of th..."

Great pick - both my husband and I enjoyed this book and its sequels tremendously.

message 10: by Nick (last edited Oct 18, 2017 02:57PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments Rachel wrote: "How about - The Book of the Unnamed Midwife?
Looks interesting- decent ratings awards nominee"

Hi Rachel. It looks like The Book of the Unnamed Midwife, a Philip K. Dick award winner and a James Tiptree Award nominee, is a great nominee for Science Fiction.

(For future reference, it's good to include a link to the book and which category you are wanting to nominate it for. We always put it in the top category on its main page GR genre list, but saying which category that is helps the mods out. I love Philip K. Dick and James Tiptree, Jr. AND the awards named for them, so this is a great nominee to me.)

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 67 comments Thanks Nick - I still haven't figured out how to link to something from the phone app (any hints?).
And I totally forgot to put the SF afterwards- oops!

message 12: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) Not sure if it's too recently published, but I think it would be really exciting to discuss Philip Pullman's La Belle Sauvage, the His Dark Materials prequel. So if it works, that would be my fantasy nomination.

And I know we don't do seconds, but I'm nodding enthusiastically along to Shel's sci-fi nomination of An Unkindness of Ghosts.

message 13: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I'd like to nominate The Fireman by Joe Hill for SF and Paladin of Souls for fantasy.

message 14: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 971 comments Rachel wrote: "Thanks Nick - I still haven't figured out how to link to something from the phone app (any hints?).
And I totally forgot to put the SF afterwards- oops!"

I am a dinosaur who does not have phone apps. I often find myself asking people what an "app" is. I still do not fully understand the concept.

message 15: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 828 comments There is currently no way to link to a book from the apps sadly. Both the apps and the mobile sites are missing some basic Goodreads features.

message 16: by Candiss (last edited Oct 22, 2017 08:21PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Nominations are now closed. The first polls will go up in a bit.

I am also making a fantasy nomination, as we are a bit short on those. Brown Girl in the Ring by Nalo Hopkinson is both a Tiptree- and Locus-winning urban fantasy that should appeal to fans of American Gods and authors such as N.K. Jemisin and Nnedi Okorafor. It has just been made into an indie film, the official trailer for which can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqDLo....

message 17: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments The first-round polls are up.

Science Fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Fantasy: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 18: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments The run-off polls are live. Vote now through October 31st.

Science Fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Fantasy: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... (3 choices, due to a tie for 2nd place in the prelims)