Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Upcoming Book Releases > Mystery-Suspense in the Sonoran Desert

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.J. (last edited Oct 17, 2017 04:12PM) (new)

C.J. Shane (cjshane) Looks like Letty Valdez will be making her first appearance in mid-November. I'll be doing a giveaway soon so watch for that! Synopsis. Tucson private investigator and Iraq War vet Letty Valdez joins forces with an unlikely ally, Chinese police Detective Inspector Zhou LiangWei who has been sent to Arizona on the advice of Interpol to track the activities of Hong Kong Triad gangsters. In this fast-paced suspense thriller, the two work together to stop the murderous Triad smugglers, and at the same time, find and rescue three abducted young women. Mystery + suspense + a touch of romance = a page-turner set in the Sonoran Desert!

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14291 comments Best wishes for the book release CJ!

message 3: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Shane (cjshane) Thanks! I've received very positive feedback from those who read an early draft of Desert Jade. Everyone seems to think it should be made into a movie because it's very action-oriented. I'll be happy if people just read it and like it!

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments I'm drawn by the two lead investigators from different cultures. Should make for an interesting plot.

message 5: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Shane (cjshane) Actually there are 3 cultures here. Letty's mom is Native American - Tohono O'odham tribe, and her dad is Mexican American. I lived in China and taught there. It's been my goal for sometime to make a connection between the local culture of southern Arizona and China. Letty, her siblings, Zhou, and Jade make that connection.

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments C.J. wrote: "Actually there are 3 cultures here. Letty's mom is Native American - Tohono O'odham tribe, and her dad is Mexican American. I lived in China and taught there. It's been my goal for sometime to make..."

Even more interesting! I attended a panel at Bouchercon where the authors were talking about writing characters from different cultures. I don't think I've posted about it yet, will try to flag it when I do.

message 7: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Shane (cjshane) Oh, I hope you will post about what you learned and what you think. My family is Italian-American and northern English. I was told that some people might criticize me for creating characters from other cultures, and I should stick to my own. But a friend of mine who is Navajo reminded me that Tony Hillerman wasn't Navajo, and he did a great job writing about the Navajo. Since I have lived in Mexico and China, and I live in the Borderlands now, I decided to try my best.

message 8: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Shane (cjshane) My new Letty Valdez mystery, *Desert Jade* is now available in hard cover, paperback, and ebook. One reviewer (5 stars) said on Amazon, "An enjoyable and suspenseful book! ... It's a fast moving and richly textured book set in Tucson, Arizona. I was pulled in immediately by well crafted characters and fine descriptions of the southwest and local culture. The heroine, Letty Valdez, is a veteran of the Iraq war and private investigator. ... An international mystery embroiled with the border between Mexico and Arizona and the Chinese underworld. Letty is nobody's fool and with her at the helm I found myself in anticipation of what happens next. ...I enjoyed the addition of a lifesaving rescue dog named Millie and a bit of romance thrown in. A wonderful first Letty Valdez mystery."