Play Book Tag discussion

The Lonely Hearts Hotel
This topic is about The Lonely Hearts Hotel
Archive: Other Books > The Lonely Hearts Hotel, by Heather O'Neill- 5 Stars!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (last edited Oct 17, 2017 03:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Teetering between 4-5 stars, there was just so much more I really liked and enjoyed than the pieces I had to overlook. The subject matter is dark- prostitution, drug use, rape, incest, sex, sex, lots of sex. But it is all done in a beautiful, non-offensive way. There's no actual descriptions of sex or of shooting up or anything. Just references and the knowledge that you know it's going on. This is hard to describe. The feeling and aura of the written words and setting are so well put together that you often don't even realize the subject matter is illegal, or "bad". There is no way this is romance, erotica, or anything of that sort. It's tagged as historical fiction- but I'd call it more magical realism without magic meets contemporary.

The Lonely Hearts Hotel follows two main characters. Rose and Pierrot are born from bad situations. Orphans from Montreal in the 1930s. Setting is important. The first section follows their upbringing in the orphanage. Then we see the "separated but striving for a reunification" stage where Rose and Perriot are separated. Then we see (this is not a spoiler) them coming back together, and attempting to pick off where they left of.

The book is written descriptively, thoughtfully, and warmly without being disturbing. There is a lot of sex- the act, and the sensuality both in the text and the entire atmosphere of the book. If you're easily offended this probably isn't for you. But don't let the subject matter turn you off of what I thought was a great book. The book is entirely theatrical in it's words, maybe even poetic, and again this is echoed in the themes and setting of the actual plot. There were some great underlying themes of feminism that were a nice surprise also. I'm not a "clown" fan, but get ready to read about clowns also. This still got 5 stars from me despite having quite a lot to do about clowns. I have a feeling this is kind of a love it- or - hate it book.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8854 comments This was a great review. It's on my TBR. Glad to see someone had a chance to read it and review it.

LibraryCin | 8624 comments If this isn't already on my tbr (it might be!), I think I should add it. Her Lullabies for Little Criminals is also very good, if you haven't yet read it.