Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Pam's 2018 ATY 1.5 Plan- Completed

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pam (last edited Nov 29, 2018 06:18PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments I combined my 2 challenges (1- Adult and 2- Children/mid-grade/graphic novels) and report progress on both of them here.
Book 1 will be adult and Book 2 children's/mid-grade/graphic novel or another adult book.

Links to my Other Challenges:
Translated Lit Challenge Finished!
6 Countries Random Travel
12+4 SF Challenge
O Canada! Challenge
Mount TBR Challenge
Winter Olympic Challenge

Completed: 52/52 Weeks Doubled: 26
* One Book Read ** Two Books Read

**1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
Book 1: Morality for Beautiful Girls Fin: 2/17 4 stars
Book 2: The Panda Theory Fin: 10/25 (4 stars)

*2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
Book 1: An American Tragedy

Finished: 2/13 (4 stars)

*3. 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
Book 1: The Heart's Invisible Furies
Finished: 4/25 (4.5 stars)

*4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth
Book 1: Sand

Finished: 7/29 (4 stars)

**5. A book about or inspired by real events
Book 1: Shadow on the Mountain
Finished: 2/19 (5 stars!)
Book 2: Fear: Trump in the White House
Finished: Oct 11 (4 stars)

**6. A book originally written in a language other than English
Book 1: The Secret of Hoa Sen

Finished: 3/17 (4 stars)
Book 2: The Duck and the Owl
Finished: 7/21 (4 stars)

*7. A gothic novel
Book 1: Doña Barbara
Finished: 7/15 (4 stars)

**8. An "own voices" book*
Book 1: Ghost 7/2 (5 stars)
Book 2: The Poet X 11/1 (4.5 stars)

*9. A book with a body part in the title
Book 1: Eye in the Sky
Finished 1/29 (4 stars)

*10. An author's debut book
Book 1: A Man Called Ove
Finished 6/16 (4 stars)
Book 2: The Bean Trees 8/26 (3.5 stars)

*11. A literary fiction
Book 1: Americanah
Finished: 7/1 4 stars

*12. A book set in Africa or South America
Book 1: Aya
Finished: 1/3 (3 stars)

**13. Plot centered around a secret
Book 1: The Rain Watcher Finished: 8/5 (3 stars)
Book 2: The Girl with the Red Balloon 10/15 (4 stars)

**14. Book #2 Fire
Book 1: The Land of the Dead
Finished: 8/3 (5 stars)
Book 2: Fires - Episode 28 of LeVar Burton Reads 10/27 (3 stars)

**15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
Book1: Catch You Later, Traitor Finished: 2/10 (5 stars!)
Book 2: Baking With Kafka Finished: 11/25 4 stars

**16. A narrative nonfiction
Book 1: Bill Peet: An Autobiography
Finished: 8/9 (4 stars)
Book 2: Fallingwater: The Building of Frank Lloyd Wright's Masterpiece Fin: 9/8 (3 stars)

**17. A book you expect to make you laugh
Book 1: The Year of the Hare Finished: 3/4 (3.5 stars)
Book 2: Scoop Finished: 11/24 (3 stars)

**18. A book with a location in the title
Book 1: Tintin in Tibet Finished: Jan (3 stars)
Book 2: Spaceman of Bohemia Finished: Oct 20 (3.5 stars)

**19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors)
Book 1: The Harlequin Tea Set and Other Stories by Agatha Christie Finished: 8/6 (2.5 stars)
Book 2: Ghost Ship by Mary Higgins Clark Finished 8/28 (3 stars)

*20. A book rated 5 stars by at least 1 friend
Book 1: Ubik
Finished: 1/22 5 stars

**21. A book written in first person perspective
Book 1: Why We Took the Car
Finished 2/2 (4 stars)
Book 2: Arnie and His School Tools: Simple Sensory Solutions That Build Success Finished June (4 stars)

**22. High expectations or hope for
Book 1: Winter of the World Finished: Feb (5 stars)
Book 2: Children of God Finished: Nov (4 stars)

*23. Medical or legal thriller
Ostland

Finished: 9/3 (5 stars!)

*24. A book with a map
Book 1: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Finished 5/26 (4 stars)

*25. Antagonist/villain point of view
Jack Glass
Finished: 8/27 (3.5 stars)

*26. Text only cover
Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee

Finished 2/22 (4.5 stars)

**27. Surviving a hardship
Book 1: Chess Story Finished: 8/15 (5 stars)
Book 2: The Girl from the Metropol Hotel: Growing Up in Communist Russia Finished 8/30 (3.5 stars)

*28. Book #3 Water
Book 1: The Big Wave
Finished: 7/17 (5 stars)

*29. "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)
Book 1: Lonesome Dove
( rope) Finished: 8/22 (5 stars)

**30. A short book
Book 1: Binti (re-read)
Finished: 1/21 (4 stars)
Book 2: And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer Finished: 6/18 (3 stars)

**31. Set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
Book 1: Yvain: The Knight of the Lion (France) 1/19 4 stars
Book 2: Ostend (Belgium) 10/22 4 stars

*32. An alternate history book
Book 1: Yellow Blue Tibia
Finished: 8/1 (4 stars)

**33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you (link)
Book 1: Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions Word used: 2-D
Finished 2/3 3 stars
Book 2: The Night Masquerade Word used: mind expanding Finished: 6/22 4 stars

**34. A suggestion from the ATY 2018 polls, polarizing or a close-call
Book 1: Mort by Terry Pratchett
Finished: March 22 (4 stars)
Book 2: Bernie Finished: Nov 16 (3 stars)

*35. A book featuring a murder
Book 1: Maisie Dobbs
Finished 5/14 (3.5 stars)

**36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016-2018) by an author you haven't read before
Book 1: A Gentleman in Moscow
Finished: 4/9 (5 stars)
Book 2: Far from the Tree
Finished: 8/2 (4 stars)

**37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
Book 1: State of Wonder
Finished 2/27 (3 stars)
Book 2: Annabel Finished: 8/29 (5 stars)

*38. A science book or a science fiction book
Book 1: The Sparrow
Finished: Jan 6 (5 stars)

*39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
Book 1: When It's Over
Finished: April 14 (4.5 stars)

**40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list
Book 1: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Finished 7/20 3 stars
Book 2:The Very Hungry Caterpillar Finished: July (5 stars)

*41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
The Spellmans Strike Again
by Lisa Lutz Finished: 8/11 (4 stars)

*42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
Book 1: The Old Man and the Sea
Finished: 7/24 (5 stars)

**43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
Book 1: We Will Not Be Silent: The White Rose Student Resistance Movement That Defied Adolf HitlerFinished: 5/16 (5 stars)
Book 2: I Am the Messenger Finished 11/14 (4 stars)

*44. A ghost story
Book 1: Johnny and the Dead Finished: 1/ 30 (4 stars)

**45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
Book 1: Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family

Finished: 3/13 (4.5 stars)
Book 2: The Hole by Hye-Young Pyun 10/28 (4 stars)

*46. Book #4 Air
Book 1: The Air We Breathe

Finished: 3/30 (4 stars)

**47. main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
Book 1: Kindred
Finished Jan (5 stars)
Book 2: Nu Dang and His Kite Finished 4/10 (5 stars)

*48. related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)
Book 1: The Maltese Falcon
(greed) Finished: 6/25 3 stars

*49. Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists (link)
Book 1:Bring Me Back
Finished: 5/31 (2 star)

**50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)
Book 1: It's All Relative: Adventures Up and Down the World’s Family Tree
Finished: Jan 1 (4 stars)
Book 2: The Lonely Beast Finished: June (3 stars)

**51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
Book 1: A Defense of the Social Contracts
8/1 3 stars
Book 2: Welcome to Your Authentic Indian Experience by Rebecca Roanhorse 8/22 4 stars

*52. Published in 2018
Book1: The Wolves of Winter

Finished: March 16 (4 stars)

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments How do you have so many books that you haven't read? (Says the lady who has a stack of 20 on the dresser).

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Tammy - The majority of the books I own were acquired over the last 3 years for free or dirt cheap from bookstores closings, FB and GR giveaways, and great buys at Goodwill and Dollar Tree ($1/book). I'm also a patron of our local library so I keep reading library books instead of books I already own! I am seriously trying to downsize, which is why I structured my challenge this way. I was surprised I could fill so many categories!

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 0 comments Pam wrote: "Tammy - The majority of the books I own were acquired over the last 3 years for free or dirt cheap from bookstores closings, FB and GR giveaways, and great buys at Goodwill and Dollar Tree ($1/book..."

Your not the only one with a lot of books on your TBR, while I don't know how many of actual books I own I do have a lot of Kindle books and the total of unread Kindle books are : 1439 . But a hole of of those are and were 100% free .lol

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Pam wrote: "Tammy - The majority of the books I own were acquired over the last 3 years for free or dirt cheap from bookstores closings, FB and GR giveaways, and great buys at Goodwill and Dollar T..."

I have a Nook but I never got into downloading e-books. I have some free Nook books but I quit doing that since I wasn't reading them! Now, I just use it for library e-books and audiobooks.

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 11 comments 7. A gothic novel
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (Fits this category?)

I think so! I wish you the best of luck on clearing out your owned-but-unread stacks!

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 0 comments Lonesome Dove , never thought about every picking up the book, which is funny because I grew up watching the movies thinks to my dad who loved them, and I use to love watching the Lonesome Dove TV show when it was on. Might have to put the book on my Wishlist.

message 8: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Lonesome Dove , never thought about every picking up the book, which is funny because I grew up watching the movies thinks to my dad who loved them, and I use to love watching the Lonesome Dove TV ..."

It won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1986! I have a few friends who have read it and gave it 5 stars. I think this will be the year I read it!

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Kristen wrote: "7. A gothic novel
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (Fits this category?)

I think so! I wish you the best of luck on clearing out your owned-but-unread stacks!"

Thanks Kristen! I'm already making progress in 2017. I just have to keep it going in 2018! The gothic genre is one I don't really have a clear understanding of what it includes. I'll see what others are reading.

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments After going through other people's plans, I added a bunch more choices! I was trying to keep it simple but there are so many great options. Thank you everyone for your ideas!

message 11: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments For week 1, I finished 3 books:

#12. A book set in Africa or South America- Aya I rated it 3 stars. It was a fun and very short YA graphic novel set in the Ivory Coast. Essentially, it was teens being teens!

38. A science book or a science fiction book- The Sparrow I rated it 5 stars! It was a heart-breaking, thought-provoking, and totally engaging story about a Jesuit mission to make first contact on a planet light years away. After reading it, I never want to make contact with an alien, ever. Too many things can and will go wrong.

50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)- It's All Relative: Adventures Up and Down the World’s Family Tree I rated it 4 stars. It was a humorous story of the author's genealogical research and organization of a world family reunion.

I had to get a little ahead of the game because my next book for either week 1 or 2, An American Tragedy, will be a tough one (a classic at over 800 pages)! I may read The Alienist for week 23 at the same time.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Enjoy An American Tragedy. I read it last year, and even though it's long, it was very readable.

message 13: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Katie wrote: "Enjoy An American Tragedy. I read it last year, and even though it's long, it was very readable."

Thanks Katie. I’m glad to hear that! I saw the movie years ago so I think that’s why I’m dragging my feet on reading it. I feel like I already know what happens! My husband highly recommends it and has been pushing me to read it.

message 14: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments I decided to combine my 2 challenges and report both of them here. I’m keeping my children’s ideas on my original children’s plan but reporting progress (under Book 2) on this thread. We’ll see how it goes!

message 15: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments I finished 4 books: 1 exceptional SF novel, 1 SF novella, and 2 graphic novels.

Ubik by Philip K. Dick - Loved it! It's weird, crazy, fun! Classic PKD. He's becoming my favorite SF author. Currently reading another of his books Eye in the Sky which I am not as enamored with.

Binti (novella) - This was a reread for a book club meeting. It's book 1 in a series. I've already read book 2 and waiting for book 3 to come to our library! It's a fun SF series.

Yvain: The Knight of the Lion (graphic novel) - I love King Arthur stories and accidentally came across this one at the library. Fun!

Tintin in Tibet (graphic novel) - Didn't love it but it was ok.

Continuing to work on An American Tragedy. It's sooo long! I'm having a hard time sticking with it but am reading a few chapters a day. It will be finished by Feb 28th so I can count it for the Seasonal Reading challenge.

message 16: by Pam (last edited Feb 20, 2018 09:03AM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments I finished a few for my children's challenge. I consider these grade school/mid-grade books and I loved all of them!

Week 5 A book about or inspired by real events:
Shadow on the Mountain by Margi Preus 5 stars
-This is a very well written novel inspired by the true adventures of a Norwegian teenage/young adult spy during WWII. I highly recommend it to anyone, especially youth, interested in WWII and the courageous efforts of Nazi resistors. Also sprinkled throughout the book are bits of Norwegian culture and mythology. It felt very fitting to read it during the Winter Olympics, with all of the cross-country skiing that takes place in the book! At the end of the book, the author talks about the real spy and the similarities to the novel. Pretty amazing the risks that people were willing to take in fighting for freedom from the Nazi Regime and in helping their countrymen.

15. A book with an unique format/writing structure:
Catch You Later, Traitor by Avi 5 stars
-Lots of fun and intrigue with a boy caught in the Red Scare of 1951. He has to solve the mystery of his family while dealing with ostracism due to his father being labeled a Communist. Part of the story is told in a Sam Spade detective story-telling style, which adds to the reading enjoyment. Classic Avi!

44. A ghost story:
Johnny and the Dead by Terry Pratchett 5 stars
-Book 2 in the Johnny Maxwell series. I'm reading them in backwards order since I found #3 first and then #2. Haven't found #1 yet! The dead are communicating with Johnny about the proposed demolition of their cemetery. It's another fun series by Pratchett.

message 17: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I am so glad you liked Ubik. I think I have it on one of my lists this year. I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep years ago and then read The Man in the High Tower and the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch last year. They are strange but highly entertaining books.

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Tammy wrote: "I am so glad you liked Ubik. I think I have it on one of my lists this year. I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep years ago and then read The Man in the High Tower and the Three Stigmata of P..."

I read Ubik and turned around and read Eye in the Sky shortly afterwards. I didn't realize how similar they were! I went to a library SF club meeting this past weekend and was so confused and didn't realize that I was combining details of the 2 stories! People were looking at me funny until one person asked how many books I had read since Ubik! I felt like a total idiot. I'm getting ready to start a collection of his 1950 short stories, Should be interesting!

message 19: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments I finished several books for my primary challenge. I recommend all but the last one (that one depends on the reader). Lots of great reads!

Week 1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
Morality for Beautiful Girls 4 stars
Book 3 in the Ladies Detective Agency set in Botswana. It's enjoyable more because of the characters and not the mystery. I like the series. Lots of cultural aspects throughout the book.

2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
An American Tragedy 4 stars
Great study of character and class structure in the US through the following of Clyde Griffiths and a crime that is committed. It's a little long but worth the read.

9. A book with a body part in the title
Eye in the Sky 4 stars
Crazy PKD story about altered realities! It's very similar to Ubik. Don't read them close to each other. You may get confused!

21. A book written in first person perspective
Why We Took the Car 4 stars
German YA story about 2 teens who steal a car and have an adventure. Kind of like a Thelma and Louise with teenage boys. The movie Goodbye, Berlin was based on this book. It was fun and kept my attention!

22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
Winter of the World 5 stars
Book 2 of the Century Trilogy taking place during WWII, set in Germany, Great Britain, Soviet Union, Spain, US, and the Pacific Theatre. Every major WWII event is touched upon, including the development of the bomb at Los Alamos. Lots of drama and history.

26. A book with a text only cover
Disgrace 4.5 stars
Powerful and sad! Quite a story that I was not expecting. Set in South Africa and dealing with hard topics.

33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you
Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions 3 stars
I wouldn't recommend this one but some might like it and it is VERY short. An individual from 2D land travels to Spaceland (3-D), Lineland (1-D) and Pointland (No D) and considers what four dimensions could be —a revolutionary idea in 1884. Lots of math discussions but it is also a satire on British society.

message 20: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Finished 37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee:
State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
I gave it 3 stars. I felt like it was really slow and not so interesting. I wasn't very invested in the characters. The 2nd half, deep in the Amazon, was more interesting and the ending was decent. It's a good read but not one of my faves.

I am on a good pace (19 books read) and ready to start a couple of longer books - Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family and Red Mars and one shorter audiobook The Year of the Hare.

message 21: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Finished the really tough one! 45. A book that intimidates/ scares you. I read Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family as part of a group read in another GR group. It was really long but very good! I'm going to try some other German authors this year. This is my 2nd one.

Also, I read The Year of the Hare for week 17 A book you expect to make you laugh. It was a fun read (listen)- an adventure across Finland with lots of crazy encounters.

message 22: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Great work. #45 is still giving me the sweats. The Eco and DeLillo books you've selected as your second options for that category should be a good challenge and I hear great things about them. I'm saving Underworld for next year because I'm reading White Noise this year

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments I love how you are doing both age brackets. If I finish up the first, perhaps I will go about doing another age group in each category.

I need to do a better job at reading the books I have—I have been working on that this year too.

message 24: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Tammy wrote: "Great work. #45 is still giving me the sweats. The Eco and DeLillo books you've selected as your second options for that category should be a good challenge and I hear great things about them. I'm ..."

Thanks Tammy! I'm glad to get that one under my belt and go back to reading shorter books, for awhile. Good luck with White Noise!

message 25: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Stephanie wrote: "I love how you are doing both age brackets. If I finish up the first, perhaps I will go about doing another age group in each category.

I need to do a better job at reading the books I have—I have..."

Thanks Stephanie! Best of luck with reading books you own. That is a huge struggle for me. I don't know why! I have lots of great books in my house but library books always look more interesting.

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments New books are always flashing in my mind! It is good to go back and read some older ones---they held appeal at one point. :)

message 27: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Finished my first Discworld book Mort for week 34 (polarizing or close call - series with more than 5 books; also, title with 5 or fewer letters) and a Canadian (set in the Yukon) post-apocalyptic (YA in my opinion) book The Wolves of Winter for week 52 (pub. in 2018).

Buddenbrooks took a little steam out of me but I am now back to reading Red Mars and starting I'm Not Stiller. After finishing those 2, I will be at the half-way mark for round 1 with no repeats yet! Right on target for a double challenge!

Of course, I own none of these books! I hope to get back to reading my own books very soon....

message 28: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Change in plans- I'm DNFing I'm Not Stiller at 25%. It's putting me to sleep and I have too many other books that I want to read. Red Mars is back on hold. It's not keeping my attention either.

I'm going to focus on books I own, which was my original intent this year, starting with 2 books by Andrea Barret - The Air We Breathe and The Voyage of the Narwhal and Spin for a Sci-Fi library book club meeting in April.

message 29: by Pam (last edited Aug 29, 2018 01:21PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Updating categories left, as I go, so that I can better see my remaining weeks. Last update: Aug 28

And then there was one!

23. Medical or legal thriller

message 30: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments That does make it quite a bit easier to see what is left!

message 31: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Halfway point for first 52! Yay!

message 32: by Pam (last edited Jul 17, 2018 12:13PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments 6 months into the challenge and I discover that #8 Own Voices is missing from my list! I must have accidently deleted it at some point. Fortunately, I remembered the prompt and added it. For #8, I read a mid-grade book Ghost, which is on the PBS Great American Read (GAR) list. I highly recommend it, especially for kids, but also for adults! This is the first mid-grade book I've read that did not have a main character who was white. It is a heart-felt story about a poor, black boy who joins a track team. I loved it and felt that readers would relate to the character and be cheering for his success! It's a great reminder of the camaraderie and friendship that you experience when playing on a team.

This summer I am working my way through more GAR books. This show has really hijacked my reading plan, but in a good way!
Currently reading or getting ready to start this week:
Lonesome Dove
Doña Bárbara

message 33: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments I finished Doña Bárbara and gave it 5 stars! I thoroughly enjoyed it! It's a wonderful western type story set on the llano (prairie) in Venezuela. It's a Spanish classic for a reason. But, why have not more non-Spanish speakers read the book? Almost all of the reviews are in Spanish.

I opted to use a WILCARD for the medical or legal thriller since I don't like thrillers of any kind. Instead, I read Latin American Writers, which was an informative and interesting collection of biographies. Unfortunately, it did not include a biography on the Latin American author I was reading, Rómulo Gallegos, but it was still good. 4 stars

I read a children's book for the Water option: The Big Wave by Pearl S. Buck. It's an award winning book with an important life message and a pull at the emotional heartstrings! 5 stars

13 books to go! (12.75 to be exact since the massive Lonesome Dove is in the works.)

message 34: by Pam (last edited Aug 02, 2018 11:17AM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments I finished 2 more books towards my children's challenge (Book2s) for a grand total of 8! I'm focusing on my adult challenge first but reading the occasional kid's book. They are quick enough to read.

The Duck and the Owl
Read for #6 - a book originally published in another language. (First published in German by Swiss author Hann Johansen (4 stars but 5 stars for the illustrations!) This is a very cute, charming book!

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Read for #20 - A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends. It was only a 3 star for me. I'm not sure what the hoopla is about this book. Maybe I'm too old to enjoy it for the first time. Fantasy is not really my genre, though.
**Moved this book to #40 Amazon's 100 books, after I realized it was on the list.

message 35: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments The last few books I've finished: #4-Sand Sand by Wolfgang Herrndorf , #32-Yellow Blue Tibia Yellow Blue Tibia by Adam Roberts and short story #51- A Defense of the Social Contracts.

message 36: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments 8 categories to go! I've got 3 started and should be able to finish them in August:

13. Plot centered around a secret- ARC of The Rain Watcher by Tatiana de Rosnay

29. "Clue" weapon on the cover or title- Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

41. Author with the same first and last initials- Utopian Man by Lisa Lang

I'm saving 5 of the hardest ones (for me) for last. I'm excited to be close to the end of the challenge and ready to start 2019 (already)!

message 37: by Pam (last edited Aug 11, 2018 05:46PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Finished 3 more books. August is shaping up to be a good month for finishing books!

14. Fire - The Land of the Dead 4 stars (Fire on the cover)
A children's book retelling the adventures of Odysseus. Really well written by Mary Pope Osborne, the author of the Magic Treehouse books! I will probably read the rest of the Odysseus series (20 minute read/book) and eventually tackle Homer's The Odyssey. Highly recommend for 3rd-4th graders, depending on the reading level.

19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author - The Harlequin Tea Set and Other Stories by Agatha Christie 2.5 stars
I was really disappointed with this short story collection. The stories were very predictable and only one included Hercule Poirot.

13. Plot centered around a secret- ARC of The Rain Watcher 3 stars
Each family member had a secret they were keeping from other family members. It was good but a bit too slow and too detailed for me. It is a family story about the healing that comes from communication and letting go of secrets. I liked the Paris setting and the discussions about trees and photography.

For prompt 41 (same first and last initials), I am trying to decide between books by Lisa Lang or Lisa Lutz.

One of my last books will be the narrative non-fiction. I have a book selected (finally!) - The Orchid Thief: A True Story of Beauty and Obsession but had to put a hold on it at the library,

message 38: by Pam (last edited Aug 11, 2018 05:47PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Finished 2 more!

41. Author w same first & last initials - The Spellmans Strike Again by Lisa Lutz 4 stars!
It was a lot of fun! I will most likely go back and read 1-3 in the series, since this was #4.

16. Narrative non-fiction - Bill Peet: An Autobiography 5 stars!
I accidently found this book at the library while I was looking in the non-fiction section. It is a children's book (mid-grade?) but it is written in narrative style, so I am counting it! I thoroughly enjoyed it and especially loved his illustrations! I had no idea that he spent his career working for Walt Disney! Makes total sense, though!
I do plan on reading a second book (adult) for this category but am waiting for my library hold to come in.

3 more books to go, one of which is an ILL request. I hope it doesn't come in too soon so that I can finish Lonesome Dove!

message 39: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 224 comments Pam, since you liked #4 you definitely have to go back and read the others in the series!! The Spellman Files series is one of my favorited for when I need something lighthearted and fun. It never fails to make me laugh.

message 40: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Brooke wrote: "Pam, since you liked #4 you definitely have to go back and read the others in the series!! The Spellman Files series is one of my favorited for when I need something lighthearted and fun. It never ..."

I agree Brooke! What a crazy family. I felt like I was watching one of those dysfunctional family tv shows. I will eventually go back and read at least the 1st in the series.

message 41: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Finished Book 2 for 27. Surviving a hardship

Novella Chess Story by Stefan Zweig
The hardship described in this story is the back story. I loved this book! The psychological aspect was so fascinating to me. 5 stars!

I decided to NOT use a wildcard for 23. Medical or legal thriller since I think I have a book for that category. So, now I am back to having 4 books left.

message 42: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Yay! Finished Lonesome Dovefor 29-"Clue" weapon on the cover or title. This is a great book and I highly recommend it! Wonderful character development in a story of a cattle drive from Texas to Montana. So many hazards to cattle driving! Now that I am finished, I can finally watch the last episode of the mini-series, which I DVR'd.

2 books to go, which I will be reading during the Readathon. So close to finishing the challenge but I think I will take a break from reading for 2 days.

message 43: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I'm impressed! I think I'm going to have to add Lonesome Dove to my TBR. I have The Last Picture Show by McMurty on my 60 Songs that tell stories list, but I've got to get around to reading LD!

I'm thrilled you liked Chess Story. It is a strange little book and I really enjoyed Zweig's style - so much so that I decided to read his Amok this year, as well.

I, too, have two books left: The Eyre Affair (for air theme...tee hee) and Pillars of the Earth (for the Earth theme).

Good luck. I always enjoy your updates!

message 44: by Pam (last edited Aug 22, 2018 07:53AM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Tammy wrote: "I'm impressed! I think I'm going to have to add Lonesome Dove to my TBR. I have The Last Picture Show by McMurty on my 60 Songs that tell stories list, but I've got to get around to reading LD! ..."

Thanks Tammy! It's nice to know that someone reads them! Yes, I loved Chess Story. I couldn't help thinking about the author, who committed suicide a few days after sending this book to his publisher. That puts a whole different light on the story (mental anguish).

I've read The Eyre Affair and wasn't crazy about it. It's too silly for me. I'm glad I read it but am not reading any more of the series. Good luck w Pillars of the Earth! I see it every time I walk past the stairs to my bedroom. It is sitting there saying, "Read Me!" I'll probably save it until next year since I read 2 other Follett books this year. I'm considering tackling my new copy of Don Quixote. I feel like I have to at least give it a try, so I have an opinion on it!

message 45: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I've tried Don Quixote twice! And two times I've gotten about 1/2 way through. It isn't bad. I just got tired of the shenanigans after a while. I've been putting off Pillars for years. It has so much hype around it that I'm worried I'll end up being disappointed - plus I've grown a bit weary of super long books.

The Eyre Affair is starting off slow for me, so we'll see how it goes.

Zweig was one of the authors that made me suggest "an author's last book" for our 2019 list (it didn't win). I liked the idea because an author can really change over the course of his/her life and their writing is so interesting when they are nearing the end of their lives.

message 46: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Finished book 2 for 51. An award-winning short story or short story collection.

I listened to the Levar Burton Reads podcast, reading of Welcome to Your Authentic Indian Experience by Rebecca Roanhorse. It won the 2017 Hugo (announced this week) and Nebula for best short story. I recommend it! It's original, well-written, and entertaining. I can't wait to read more of her books!

message 47: by Pam (last edited Nov 29, 2018 06:19PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Prompts remaining for my Book 2 challenge (little over 1/2):
Last updated: 11/29

2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
3. 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth
7. A gothic novel
9. A book with a body part in the title
11. A literary fiction
12. A book set in Africa or South America
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least 1 friend
23. Medical or legal thriller
24. A book with a map
25. Antagonist/villain point of view
26. Text only cover
28. Book #3 Water
29. "Clue" weapon on the cover or title
32. An alternate history book
35. A book featuring a murder
38. A science book or a science fiction book
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
44. A ghost story
46. Book #4 Air
48. related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)
49. Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists
52. Published in 2018

message 48: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
We're in the same boat Pam!

I just went through what I've read for side reads (2 or 3) and PopSugar and Book Riot and figured out where I can place those books in ATY if I don't get through my planned list.

Actually my list isn't planned at all anymore, its been changing daily, lol....

Then I went into my thread and put exclamation marks next to ALL of the prompts that I haven't read anything for... Oh well. Still not sure if I'll pull it off this year but I'm gonna keep trying.

Right now I'm getting sidetracked by planning for next year.....I have no idea why since I know I'm going to change it all throughout the year as I read anyways, but that seems to be half the fun for me ;-)

message 49: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Tracy- I found that an easier way to track is to modify the list by deleting them as I go! I’ve gotten distracted by the 2019 planning, too. I rarely even read the books on my plan!

message 50: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments Finished Jack Glass for #25- Antagonist/villain point of view. It's a sci-fi mystery and quite unusual. I loved Part 1, despite its gory nature. Part 2 wasn't as interesting but was necessary to introduce the new characters and the murder. Part 3 was good, but the ending left me a little flat, but overall, it was still a good read. It had a bit of an Agatha Christie feel to it. I don't know if that was intentional. There's a murder in a sealed room with no one coming or going. The servants are the suspects. There is even a chapter titled The Mystery of the Rogue RACDroid, which made me think of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. (The author loves plays on words and phrases so I think this is a joke on his part.)

And Then There Was One - my last book for the challenge is Ostland, for the Legal Thriller category!

« previous 1