Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Wheel of Osheim [Apr 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 167 (167 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Oct 17, 2017 03:20PM) (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7422 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Wheel of Osheim by Mark Lawrence starting April 1, 2018.
The Wheel of Osheim (The Red Queen's War, #3) by Mark Lawrence

Here's a link to a BR the group did for this book in 2017: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 6759 comments Spot...

message 3: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Anyone reading this? I'll start a bit late as I want to finish my current read first.

message 4: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments I'm here, Virginie. Just posted for you on Liar's Key. I will start this AND King of Thorns AND Way of Kings on 10th.
Yowza!

message 5: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments You know you're crazy Zaara, yeah? 😂

message 6: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments Anni wrote: "You know you're crazy Zaara, yeah? 😂"

Oh come now, daaaaaaaahlin' would you really have it any other way?
There is always a method behind the madness tho and my reasons are often boringly sane.
In this case, logistical :-P
I'm not home and ALL these books are.

message 7: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Zaara wrote: "I'm here, Virginie. Just posted for you on Liar's Key. I will start this AND King of Thorns AND Way of Kings on 10th.
Yowza!"

Saw, answered :)
Take it easy though. I now have a mental image of you (as a stick person as I don't know what you look like) frantically juggling with books and yelling "YOWZAAAA" 😆

message 8: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments 😂😂😂😂😂 I literally laughed out loud.
Far be it from me to mess with your mental images by providing you a more accurate self-portrait...now how could I even compete with the kind of awesomeness that goes on in your imagination?

message 9: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Zaara wrote: "😂😂😂😂😂 I literally laughed out loud.
Far be it from me to mess with your mental images by providing you a more accurate self-portrait...now how could I even compete with the kind of awesomeness that..."

Haha :)
If you must know, you have a rose instead of a head because of your profil picture...

message 10: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Zaara, I just went to the King of Thorns to read a little their thoughts and there's some great discussion going on thanks to the 2 chapters a day thingy.
What do you think of doing the same?

message 11: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments Virginie wrote: "What do you think of doing the same?"

Sure!
Two chapters a day sounds amazing. Shall we start tomorrow? I'm afraid I'm scrambling to catch up on there and haven't started this one yet...
You know it makes me smile everytime there's a comment on that thred that someone loves his writing style.

message 12: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Tomorrow's fine with me. It's a date! (more like, double-date with Jal' and Snorri haha)

message 13: by Virginie (last edited Apr 10, 2018 09:43AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments And yeah, it makes me happy too. His writing really IS amazing. I'm quite torn between the audio (T.G. Reynolds is doing an amazing job as an arrogant, witty Jal) and highlighting all those nice quotes with the ebook.

message 14: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments So listen while you read. Always choose both, ta daaaaaaahlin'...
:-)
#greedisgood
Is what I did with Elantris...if you just listened to that one you'd have missed all the Aons (pictograms) at each chapter start.
They were like mini-narratives/adjuncts to the main in and of themselves.

message 15: by Virginie (last edited Apr 10, 2018 09:53AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Btw, my favorite quote from M.L. so far (from King of Thorns, beware spoilers :p):
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments That's a good one.
I'll be sure to bring some of mine the next time I'm on here.
Gnite, Virginie.

message 17: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Guilty of sneaking into other threads as well 😂 I am very happy that our scheduled read for KoT works that well :)

If you couldn't descide between audiobook and actual book you should choose one format and do a re-read next year with the other format so I could join you 😜

message 18: by Virginie (last edited Apr 10, 2018 10:38AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Zaara wrote: "So listen while you read. Always choose both, ta daaaaaaahlin'...
:-)
#greedisgood
Is what I did with Elantris...if you just listened to that one you'd have missed all the Aons (pictograms) at each..."

I tried doing that once (with Legend I think). The problem is that I read much faster than I listen, if that makes sense. Even with a good app for speeding the narration, I end up with chipmunk voices :'(

message 19: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Anni wrote: "Guilty of sneaking into other threads as well 😂 I am very happy that our scheduled read for KoT works that well :)

If you couldn't descide between audiobook and actual book you should choose one ..."

Oooh, that's a good idea! ;)

message 20: by Zaara (last edited Apr 11, 2018 11:02PM) (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments Read the prologue and first two chapters.

Prologue is (view spoiler)

Chapter 1: (view spoiler)

Chapter 2: (view spoiler)

Questions I'm asking:
(view spoiler)

Laughed out loud when: the camel stepped on his arse. Even more so than the tent, bcuz Jal...he deserves it a bit!

Fave line so far: The very first. It was a strong opener, I think and so far there hasn't been too much of Jal's bastard wit nor his particular brand of philosophy ;-)

message 21: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Read the prologue, and intended to follow with chapter 1 & 2. Fell asleep mid Chapter 1 haha. I'm having a really rough week at work :'( (I'm leaving work around 8.30pm every day ><)

Prologue: (view spoiler)

Haven't opened your spoilers for Chap' 1.
(view spoiler)

message 22: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments So yeah. Day 1. I'm already behind lol.

message 23: by Virginie (last edited Apr 12, 2018 12:29PM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Ok, read up to chapter 2.

Chapter 1: (view spoiler)

Chapter 2: (view spoiler)

Laughed like a madwomen at: Jalan's first reaction to the two brothers threatening him after the camel incident: "I DIDN'T TOUCH HER!". And he wasn't even trying to grope her. The only time he's not being all touchy with a women, he gets accused :p

Hennan: (view spoiler)

message 24: by Virginie (last edited Apr 22, 2018 02:24AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Putting our schedule just so it's there :p I'll edit if we fall behind.

11: Prologue + Chapter 1 + Chapter 2
12: Chapter 3 + Chapter 4
13: CATCHING UP :p
14: WEEK-END :D
15: WEEK-END :D

16: Chapter 5 + Chapter 6
17: Chapter 7 + Chapter 8
18: Chapter 9 + Chapter 10
19: Chapter 11
20: learning how to count
21: WEEK-END :D
22: WEEK-END :D

23: FREE DAY
24: FREE DAY
25: FREE DAY
26: Chapter 12 + Chapter 13
27: Chapter 14 + Chapter 15
28: WEEK-END :D
29: WEEK-END :D

30: Chapter 16 + Chapter 17
01: Chapter 18 + Chapter 19
02: Chapter 20 + Chapter 21
03: Chapter 22 + Chapter 23
04: Chapter 24 + Chapter 25
05: WEEK-END :D
06: WEEK-END :D

07: Chapter 26 + Chapter 27
08: Chapter 28 + Chapter 29
09: Chapter 30 + Chapter 31
10: Chapter 32 + Chapter 33
11: MASSIVE BOOK HANGOVER

message 25: by Virginie (last edited Apr 14, 2018 07:33AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Warning for people other than Zaara: spoilers for King of Thorns / Emperor of Thorns. I'll probably include those in lots of comments so click at your own peril :p
Chapter 3: (view spoiler)

message 26: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Yay, spread reading schedules everywhere!!! ♥

message 27: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Anni wrote: "Yay, spread reading schedules everywhere!!! ♥"

:D
It works wonderfully and allows great discussions.

message 28: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments @Zaara: I modified the schedule a little bit so we're reading no chapters during the week-end. Since we're both reading tons of books at the same time, we can catch up that way.
What do you think? :)

message 29: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Virginie wrote:"What do you think? :)"

I think you counted 13 twice 😂 And now I'm feeling like a creepy stalker, but I promise, I just take a look at the schedule because I think that's a great idea and maybe I will do the same thing with free weekends when I propose a schedule next time. The free weekends also give you time to catch up when you fall behind :)

message 30: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments Great plan…and yes, just like you predicted I used the weekend to catch up…so at least on this thread I am strictly keeping to the schedule.

On King of Thorns I will need one more day to catch up with schedule and then it will get to the manageable portion of two chapters a day.

Then I can finally start Way of Kings. Problem was this month I had ten unscheduled days away during which I only read Elantris and wasn’t even in the frame of mind to read/talk to anyone.

Thanks for giving me that extra day…very thoughtful of you and I used it well. I’m glad we decided to follow this series thru to the end together. Certainly the book is going towards some very unexpected places and I think because this is a small read (in terms of number of people) you and I got to become very comfortable with each other.

Ohk…making tracks towards the massive book hangover :D

CH 3: Opened your spoiler and (view spoiler)

Regarding Martell Harris – I think he’s just a random soul and name who dies in pain during battle. I can’t recall him from KoT so far in the Battle of the Haunt but I will keep my eyes peeled for any mentions.

Re the milestone. Its been four years since I read the first trilogy so I had no fekkin clue. Great catch. I NEVER catch things unless I’m really really paying attention and devoting myself only to one book. For me that Easter Egg was a delicious surprise. But more of that in Chapter 4 comments.

Chapter 4

(view spoiler)

Oh and in case my hints were too cunning and subtle earlier…I LOVE MARK LAWRENCE so I’m sorry for the huge post, sweetheart. In case you weren’t warned by the Prince of Thorns thread and yesterdays’ huge post on KoT….my ML essays are always substantially longer than anything else. There’s this weird alchemy I have with these books + my (yucky and slobbering?) eagerness for his writing always overrides my restraint. I’m so happy to have found another enthusiast to DISSECT these books with. We are so fekkin lucky!

And :-D

message 31: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments Anni wrote: "...couldn't descide between audiobook and actual book you should choose one format and do a re-read next year with the other format so I could join you 😜 "

This is actually a cool plan. I've never listened to these books (how's the narrator by the way?) so it will be fun to revisit your discussion when all the details are fresh in my head...

message 32: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Will come back and answer you Zaara sweety later this afternoon.
For now, I just wanted to say I modified the schedule again to put Chapter 5 and 6 to tomorrow (instead of Friday) since I haven't read them and I don't think you did either.

I'd rather take my time and comment like crazy than rush through this book. I love reading your big-ass essays and writing my owns :D :D :D

message 33: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments :-) aaaah finally a ML reading partner who is made in the shape of my own heart...
You do that,guuuurl, you do that!
And hey,,we're all right now on this thred....

https://www.goodreads.com/user_status...

Come when you can....

message 34: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Zaara wrote: "Certainly the book is going towards some very unexpected places and I think because this is a small read (in terms of number of people) you and I got to become very comfortable with each other."

You're right! Every time I think I know where ML is headed, there's a change of direction and I end up really surprised.
I really love this BRs with you :D The fact that it's just the two of us now (and the occasional lurker, hey Anni :p) allows a real discussion. And fangirling. ;)

Those extra days were not purely selfless though. I'm swamped in books and behind in all my buddy reads hahaha. I managed to catch up a little bit this week-end so I'm happy :)

message 35: by Virginie (last edited Apr 15, 2018 06:43AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Chapter 3: (view spoiler)

message 36: by Anni (last edited Apr 15, 2018 07:39AM) (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Hey there! :) I thought about staying silent and act like I'm not lurking again... But yeah, I think it's too late to hide my crazy side :D

To my defense, I also use this as a shortcut to the Lawrence folder and the KoT Read when this one is among the newest posts. (view spoiler)

message 37: by Virginie (last edited Apr 15, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Still Chapter 3 about your 'random thoughts' (view spoiler)

message 38: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments Stick arnd Anni....

message 39: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Already read Chapter 4 but I need to order my thoughts about it, especially about that conversation you mentioned, perhaps even re-read that bit.
Will post about it this evening of tomorrow, promise :)

message 40: by Zaara (last edited Apr 15, 2018 07:51AM) (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments @Virginie...it SOOOO does belong to him and nobody else.
:-D
I'm wondering whether we will find EXTREMELY WEIRD PREDICTION (view spoiler)
Thanks for the link. Will chk it out.

message 41: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Anni wrote: "Hey there! :) I thought about staying silent and act like I'm not lurking again... But yeah, I think it's too late to hide my crazy side :D

To my defense, I also use this as a shortcut to the Lawr..."

Hey, I'm reading the King of Thorns thread. Every single dawn spoiler. You'll get no judging from me ;)

message 42: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments So I read the Cutting Room link...which actually makes you right and it was the Battle of the Haunt.
Which now psychs the heck outta me about how much time Jalan must've spent battling the djinn for Chapter 4 to occur (view spoiler)
By the way....look at us, Virginie...totally geeking out on timelines and edit cuts....woooooot!
Ok now i really gtg. I always forget the time when i login here and start commenting

message 43: by Virginie (last edited Apr 15, 2018 08:38AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Mmmh. The way I see it, Jal passed out during his battle with the djinn and got sucked in a flashback. The 'half a year' he mentions later is probably the time he spent in the deadlands.

(Carefull Anni, spoilers KoT. Don't open :p)
(view spoiler)

I'm such a nerd :p

message 44: by Virginie (last edited Apr 15, 2018 11:59AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Zaara wrote: "Ok I don't even know what I'm saying anymore. So yea. Don't worry...the next time I log in if this post doesn't pass my stringent editorial and quality stambards I will delete it."

Too late! Already read it! 😈

I'm too tired to properly answer AND post my thoughts about Chapter 4. Will do that tomorrow.

I read the entire Broken Empire trilogy in September/October 2017. So roughly 6 months ago...
I actually HAD TO construct that timeline in my head 'cause it was driving me crazy. I'm one of those persons that has to fit everything in neat little boxes in their head ^_^

message 45: by Virginie (last edited Apr 16, 2018 06:03AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Chapter 4: Jorg & Jalan (view spoiler)

message 46: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Big-ass post about the conversation with Yusuf coming...

message 47: by Zaara (last edited Apr 16, 2018 06:41AM) (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments Virginie wrote: "Big-ass post about the conversation with Yusuf coming..."

I'm waiting....and believe me I will enjoy every word....
I just posted a motha on King of Thorns...
I'd been ignoring that thred bébé for way too long....😂

message 48: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Zaara wrote: "Virginie wrote: "Big-ass post about the conversation with Yusuf coming..."

I'm waiting....and believe me I will enjoy every word....
I just posted a motha on King of Thorns...
I'd been ignoring th..."

:)
I'm at work and writing bits and pieces of it during my breaks. It's quite fun :D

message 49: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments I took a long time thinking about it and writing it in a way that makes sense. If I’m saying obvious things that you already know, please don’t think I’m being condescendant or patronizing. I really need to write this ‘explanation’ from the start so I don’t get confused. Also, it’s only my interpretation of Broken Empire and Red Queen’s War. I could be dead wrong :) I just like making theories and connections haha. Ok, here goes.

The setting of the book: (view spoiler)

message 50: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4270 comments Listening...don't want to interrupt...go on...won't post again until you specify that you're done.
Familiar with the cat so feel free to take it as far as you wish in any or all of those directions...
Xtremely happy to let you take point on this...

« previous 1 3 4